Thread: Sydney's Forward Line for the future

Sydney's Forward Line for the future

I know many of our supporters are frustrated and down on Jesse White, but can anyone actually see him being our full forward in our next premiership side?

We've got some great young forward talent, but it really just needs time to develop. Jesse is no different. He's a massive kid, but needs to develop a mean streak, similar to Sav Rocca in his early years at Collingwood. It took him 4-5 years to develop into a pack-crasing monster.

Sam Reid looks the goods. He's got all the skills we need, just needs to add 10kg of muscle and few more preseasons should give him a Nick Riewoldt-type tank. If not Rooey, then at least a Josh Kennedy tank.

Lewis Johnston looks good as a third tall, plus TDL can develop further, we all know what Benny the Jet is capable of. Would love to see all of Jesse, LJ, Reidy, TDL and Ben starting in our forward 50 next season, once some of the younger blokes develop. We aren't kicking bagfuls at the moment, but we're certainly building!

This (without trades and drafting) would be my ideal Best 22 come Round 1, 2012:

F: TDL, Jesse White, Jed Lamb
    HF: Ben McGlynn, Sam Reid, Ryan O'Keefe
    C: Gary Rohan, Kieren Jack, Adam Goodes
    HB: Nick Malceski, Alex Johnson, Rhyce Shaw
    FB: Ted Richards, Heath Grundy, Nick Smith
    Foll: Shane Mumford, Josh Kennedy, Daniel Hannebery

I/C: Jude Bolton, Jarrad McVeigh, Tadhg Kennelly
    Sub: Lewis Jetta

That team gives us a chance to beat any team in the competition. Rotate Goodes through the midfield. His set shots let him down and he's at his best when cut loose and free to roam. Ryan O'Keefe is a very strong mark, so can play a link-up man. Got some elder statesmen on the bench because we all know the Swans are about veteran leadership and continuity. I know I left out the likes of LRT, Craig Bird, Paul Bevan, Brett Meredith, Marty Mattner, Jarred Moore, Mark Seaby and Mike Pyke, but that is really just a testament to our depth at the moment, which is surprisingly good, considering we haven't had a draft pick higher than 6th in so many seasons.

One thing I've noticed this year is our defense is a high quality again, but we are extremely inefficient going inside 50. With a few more years in Jesse and Sam, I think we'll have our pillars up forward and excellent building blocks to put players around those two.

So basically what I'm saying is I'm very excited for the future and hoping we can build a premiership-contending team that will play in at least one Grand Final by 2016.

Your thoughts?

Spot on, we have to persevere with Jessie unless we can trade for an established gun full forward which seems pretty unlikely.

Love your attitude toward him, Mark! He's got too much potential to give up on him now. They just need to develop his as a pure full forward. He'll never have the tank to be a CHF/Backup Ruckman. He's best utilised leading from the goal square. e's actually decent at ground level, he just needs to become more confident in his abilities.

We'll see today if his spell in the ressies has given him more confidence, although it will probably be pretty daunting for him making his comeback against Collingwood.

Warming the Bench
    the spell in the ressies wasn't long enough.too slow,too soft,never be a permanent ff
    forgotten 1996
    2005 a much sweeter memory,2012 even better

Senior Player
    I really like the sound of that forward 6, RLC. TDL and Benny at the feet of Reid and White might be pretty formidable.

Still think Jesse needs time. He can be taught how to attack the ball. He's our best option at FF. Reid is our future.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by RoosysLoveChild View Post
    Still think Jesse needs time. He can be taught how to attack the ball. He's our best option at FF. Reid is our future.
    Ironically, his attack on the ball when he is about to feed it off to a team mate is very good. He is remarkably nimble for his size.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I agree it's part of the reason I like him as resting ruck - he actually gets the chance to get his hand on the ball

I agree with his nimbleness but don't know if he's a capable 2nd rucking option. His engine just isn't big enough and doesn't look like he can improve it enough to be an around-the-ground tall. I know he didn't do much against Collingwood, but he gave us some much-needed structure and freed Goodes up to attack the ball and create his own play.