Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: NEAFL x 2 initiations?

Being realistic there is a strong probability that East Coast and Syd Uni will find the going pretty tough next year, in fact will cop a few floggings but they will no doubt end up with a few more imports as blokes strive to play the highest level possible. Why should they get a PD spot when the issue of players being two grades below has never been a concern to posters on this forum. How they will find an extra 3-400K should be an intersting challenge though. Bottom line is SAFL is going to get weaker in PD and the young guns will be looking to NEAFL. Eventually it will strengthen the code but plenty of pain first.
    These two teams give us an east and west split which is good but where will UNi play? They will be just like a rep team and will use the connection to the Pies to even further advantage

Good luck to them both as honestly they are going to need it

[ They are representing our competition after all.[/QUOTE]

PK I reckon they are representing Sydney footy but certainly not our competition. Even so good on them and good luck

Hope they (ECE) represent us better than they did in the Foxtel Cup! I think the model of two Sydney clubs is the wrong one. Surely having a side made up like a rep side would be better for the competition. The players not used could then filter back into the competition making it stronger. This model see's the better players from the competition targetted to possibly play against there own club in Premeir Division which is going to be tough on both the players and the clubs. Goodluck to both clubs though, I hope it works out for the best

Quote Originally Posted by beameup View Post
    Bottom line is SAFL is going to get weaker in PD and the young guns will be looking to NEAFL. Eventually it will strengthen the code but plenty of pain first.
    Historically this happens .
    Hard to see a way around it except for the rep side scenario .
    Should the premier be able to challenge the NEAFL sides each year ?
    give it to the game

I still think there'd be a decent gap between the VFL, SANFL, WAFL clubs but I'd love to see how Albury Tigers would go, or a club from the GV, certainly not short of money and depth down that way.

Quote Originally Posted by beameup View Post
    Being realistic there is a strong probability that East Coast and Syd Uni will find the going pretty tough next year, in fact will cop a few floggings but they will no doubt end up with a few more imports as blokes strive to play the highest level possible. Why should they get a PD spot when the issue of players being two grades below has never been a concern to posters on this forum. How they will find an extra 3-400K should be an intersting challenge though. Bottom line is SAFL is going to get weaker in PD and the young guns will be looking to NEAFL. Eventually it will strengthen the code but plenty of pain first.
    These two teams give us an east and west split which is good but where will UNi play? They will be just like a rep team and will use the connection to the Pies to even further advantage

Good luck to them both as honestly they are going to need it
    The money is the big question - I'm not sure that an extra $300-400k is required though. If the AFL want SU and ECE to do well in the NEAFL they will grant them a PD team for a couple of years, if it is unsustainable then no doubt they could reconsider. You can say that it's not a big concern of posters on this forum that teams have reserves sides two divs below but whose fault is that - do you think C'town ressies for instance would be well served in Div 1 when they can't even beat Sydney Uni's 4th grade team? By no means is that a dig at C'town but be realistic, if clubs have the playing depth they will win their respective comps and be back up where they need to be in a couple of years (in theory).

I have heard that SU will play home games against non-AFL aligned sides at No. 1 and against the others at BOP - but that could be wrong. Another option could be Henson Park I guess as it is five minutes down the road?

Warming the Bench
    Both clubs will retain a Premier Division presence next year, which to my understanding is a change in thinking from the AFL from how they envisaged things twelve months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by DLH View Post
    Both clubs will retain a Premier Division presence next year, which to my understanding is a change in thinking from the AFL from how they envisaged things twelve months ago.
    Yes that's my understanding as well. And just for the record East Coast to Sydney Hills Eagles!!!!!!!!!!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345