Thread: Draft to be held in Western Sydney

Draft to be held in Western Sydney

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1226084222604

Demetriou yesterday announced this years draft will be held in Sydney most likely at the showgrounds.The article stats its a huge boost for GWS but i cant really fathom how.

Nice to see it in Sydney as it was up at the Gold Coast last time but would of been nice if they started moving it around before the new clubs came in.

Goes up to 11
    Get used to this sort of rubbish over the next few years as the AFL throws resources down the toilet in the west and unintentionally undermines the Swans and all we've worked for over a number if years....

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Get used to this sort of rubbish over the next few years as the AFL throws resources down the toilet in the west and unintentionally undermines the Swans and all we've worked for over a number if years....
    Unfortunately, our repeated failures against Collingwood have done more to undermine and damage our brand in Sydney than anything the AFL could possibly do with GWS.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    If the Rooty Hill RSL is fit enough to hold a prime ministerial debate (ahem, forum) then surely it will get the nod for the draft.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheer Squad View Post
    Unfortunately, our repeated failures against Collingwood have done more to undermine and damage our brand in Sydney than anything the AFL could possibly do with GWS.
    I think our strong, albeit unsuccessful, effort last week was actually good for our brand. I don't think the AFL spending huge sums of money on a shaky proposition with a potential break-even date of something more than 10 years in the future will help us, or some of the less-strong clubs in the AFL like Port or North. I really do hope my cynicism on this one is ill-placed but I really do fear for the long-term health of the Swans with this new entry into the most difficult sporting market in Australia.

That seems a bit random. What about our failures against Geelong - don't they count?
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    That seems a bit random. What about our failures against Geelong - don't they count?
    No, because Geelong have nowhere near the brand equity of Collingwood, especially in Sydney.

Goes up to 11
    No, because Geelong have nowhere near the brand equity of Collingwood, especially in Sydney.
    The difference being that Collingwood's brand equity = bogan. I don't want that thanks...

I'm ever so slightly in favour of GWS on the basis that it will help sustain and grow the sport in NSW, will mean more games in Sydney and a derby which should be reasonably fierce after a few years.

It taking a long time to attract support from new fans and a lot of money bothers me very little.

My big concern though is what it will mean to the Swans brand/positioning. 'Brand' is a terrible word and it is not about how we feel - to the players, club and fans the Swans have a great culture - but that is internal. Externally the Swans have a brand/positioning in the market - which could currently encompass a lot of things, largely positive - a family club, connected to the community, the sole club in Sydney with support from all parts of Sydney, rich history and continued connection to South Melbourne etc. All good.

But when GWS comes in, its brand is going to be Western Sydney, multicultural, grass roots, working class, people's club etc. Or something close. What this might then do, is make the Swans seem to be the opposite of those things - the team representing the north and the east, the anglos, the corporate elites etc.

To use a rugby league analogy - it would be fibros v silvertails.

This would make me sad as I love the fact that the club does all the things it does in the community, has diverse fans and has a player and club culture largely devoid of scandal.

Being pigeonholed as the club of the cafe latte set would also be limiting in terms of attracting future support, necessary for the club to survive.

I hope this doesn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by SCGonasunnyday View Post
    But when GWS comes in, its brand is going to be Western Sydney, multicultural, grass roots, working class, people's club etc. Or something close. What this might then do, is make the Swans seem to be the opposite of those things - the team representing the north and the east, the anglos, the corporate elites etc.

To use a rugby league analogy - it would be fibros v silvertails.

This would make me sad as I love the fact that the club does all the things it does in the community, has diverse fans and has a player and club culture largely devoid of scandal.

Being pigeonholed as the club of the cafe latte set would also be limiting in terms of attracting future support, necessary for the club to survive.

I hope this doesn't happen.
    This is exactly what the club is afraid of.