Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Captains

Blog Entries

Captains

Still not sure about McV as Captain.
    Goes missing too much.

19 Disp(74% eff), 1.0 goal and that was from a free. That's 14 effective Disposals.
    Between him and Goodes they gave Cyril the matching goal on a silver platter.

Goodes tried hard yesterday, but not much came off. Did a few outstanding things, but hardly had an impact on the game.
    21 Disp (57%) 0.2 goals. That's 12 effective Disposals.

Something I've been pointing out over the last few years, and has now been proved bby Champion data in yesterdays paper was how ineffective his disposal were. He was in the bottom 10 for the AFL, this year.

How the AFL reporter(James Dampney) had him as best afield for the swans is beyond me? But then he Had Grundy in the best too. What game was he watching????

AFL.COM
    Sydney Swans: Goodes, Richards, McGlynn, Hannebery, Malceski, Grundy
    Theage
    Sydney: Hannebery, Goodes, Malceski, Kennelly, McGlynn, O'Keefe.
    Telegraph
    Sydney: Malceski, Hannebery, McGlynn, Kennelly, Richards.
    HS
    Site is dodgy
    At least the DT looks more believable.

It's been mentioend beofre that McMissing is a good talker. But as a Captain I want to see Action.

So he can Talk the Talk, let's see him Walk the Walk!!

I agree Scott. Nothing inspirational out on the field at all. And to me, that's where it counts. Pretty decent in patches but nothing leadership like just yet.

Regular in the Side
    I also agree Scott. The midfield in particular seems to lack leadership.

I admire Ted Richards, as he tries to organise the backline and plays his heart out each week, but very few are leading by example at the moment and cracks are showing in the "bloods" ethos.

Still making my mind up of Macca, I'm not ready to give up on him all together as yet, but he does need to have a greater presence on field. Maybe if they had made him vice-captain while Kirky was still around it may have been a better transition? The frustrating bit is knowing that he does have the potential to be a good leader; it's just not evident at the moment.
    If not Macca who would have been brought up to captaincy? Hanners is a hot favourite but too young, he needs to concentrate on his football without the added responsibility, Kizza? Good skills but again the age could be an issue? Teddy? He's been my favourite for years but it really only been this year that his direction along defence that would suggest a leadership role and even now I?d rather he just focused on keeping the defence together.
    Don?t know what the solution is but clearly something needs to be done

whats wrong with one captain anyway?
    Theres not much left to say

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swansrule100 View Post
    whats wrong with one captain anyway?
    Less people to blame.

Good, its not just me. This is what I was bleeting on about all game (sorry to the mob in front), the lack of leadership. We have so many kids in now, and so little instinctive reaction as they don't know yet each other's games under pressure. Where was the organisation and leadership? They got lost so often; gosh its been a while since I have been so peed off about one of our games. Guess this is the one we had to have. Or not.
    Last edited by Primmy; 23rd May 2011 at 01:26 PM.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

We're missing Brett Kirk, aren't we? He was such a natural leader.

McVeigh's a decent sort of guy but I don't think he's leadership material. He seems to be too quiet.

I know Paul Kelly didn't say much, but he didn't need to, because his actions always spoke louder than words.

I think they should just leave the captaincy to Goodes. He's got the seniority for it.

From the time McVeigh was elected captain I have been left slightly bewildered. He is a good player but certainly not a great player. A captain also IMO needs to be consistent, McVeigh certainly has yet to fall into that catergory at any time in his career.
    Swannies for life!

I agree with the above. IMO he is a woeful choice, his form is patchy at best. His body language on the field is often poor...Hands out, "why didn't you kick it to me" routine.
    Horse has tied his own hands on this one. Captains don't have to be your best players....Kirk, Maxwell and Harley spring to mind as captains that steer (or steered in Kirks and Harleys case), their clubs direction on and off the field.
    These guys are leaders. McVeigh shows none of these skills, and on top of that he's an inconsistent player. Which is something no leader can get away with.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

A new nickname for McVeigh which I have heard called out at games (by the way I am not one for bagging our own players at games) is 'McVanish'.
    Swannies for life!

Warming the Bench
    If we are to hand out the captaincy to players with good consistency we probably would have to swap captains every week...
    Or give it to the guys who have only been here a few years :/

So if you are all saying no to Mcveigh, who do you replace him with?
    So moving forward, is Jack the next co-captain after Goodes?

Personally I think you are discounting the traits that Jarrad has off the field. Yes on field leadership is very important but having a good work ethic towards training is also important. Goodes inspires the team on field, Jarred pushes them off field.

Lets also not forget he is only 26, he may be captaining this team for another 5 years.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast