Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 2009 Draft Reflection

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Personally I would have kept Schneider over Mattner.
    I would not have. Mattner's given the club much more than Schneider would have.

I disagree that you have to involve Mattner in the Schneider trade at all.

Schneids + Dempster = Pick 26 = Meredith

They could have delisted him and sent him to the draft if they wanted. Agree with the earlier posts that them being traded was about list management.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bloody hell View Post

schneids + dempster = pick 26 = meredith = delist = fail
    efa

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    I disagree that you have to involve Mattner in the Schneider trade at all.
    It's absolutely pertinent. From memory the Mattner trade was one of the first trades of the week and the club stated from the beginning that they would look to get back into the second round of the draft after trading pick 28 to get him.

It's reasonable to suggest if the Mattner trade could not be done, then the Swans would have kept pick 28 and the Schneider/Dempster scenario would never have eventuated.

Of cause the whole argument is moot and even if we came out behind on that trade, nobody could possibly suggest we have been anything but outrageously successful in trades over the past 3 or 4 years.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    It's absolutely pertinent. From memory the Mattner trade was one of the first trades of the week and the club stated from the beginning that they would look to get back into the second round of the draft after trading pick 28 to get him.

It's reasonable to suggest if the Mattner trade could not be done, then the Swans would have kept pick 28 and the Schneider/Dempster scenario would never have eventuated.

Of cause the whole argument is moot and even if we came out behind on that trade, nobody could possibly suggest we have been anything but outrageously successful in trades over the past 3 or 4 years.
    You're saying if we didn't get Mattner, we would have retained Schneider and Blue Steel?

They were traded because there was no opportunities for them at the Swans - much like the McGlynn/Kennedy Trade...not for pick 26.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    efa

Why is it a fail?

If there's one thing Meredith can do it's hit a target. If only we had someone like that in our current midfield. Would solve the forward issues overnight. See if he gets over his injuries, but there have been much, much worse trades.

Senior Player
    Because he has shown very little to at senior and reserves level to indicate that he has a future at afl level and has been overtaken in the pecking order by blokes drafted 3 years behind him

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    Because he has shown very little to at senior and reserves level to indicate that he has a future at afl level and has been overtaken in the pecking order by blokes drafted 3 years behind him
    So in hindsight it's a fail.

I agree. In the future they should only draft future club champions.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    So in hindsight it's a fail.

I agree. In the future they should only draft future club champions.
    Nope - go back and search my posts at the time of the deal and my view then was we gave away one of our best forwards for a crappy draft 2nd round draft pick, no hindsight about it

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234