Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Draft Reflection

2009 Draft Reflection

Nothing new, but I thought it was interesting to reflect now that a little time has passed how good the 2009 draft was. A look at the list of the players we traded for and our draft selections and a look at our current senior team and it is really pleasing, something which was of course noted by everyone on RWO last year.

2010 looks good too, assuming Jed Lamb becomes a senior player.

Looking at the others, hard to fault anything pre 2005 as we won the flag.

Looking at 2005 - 2007 it is probably pretty disappointing. Imagine our current team with Cyril Rioli and Chris Dawes for example.

But probably the most fun to be had looking at the recent drafts is how badly some other teams have picked. Richmond, Western Bulldogs I'm looking at you. Overall I think the Swans have done pretty well, especially given the lack of top 10 picks we have had in this period.

Jed Lamb
    Luke Parker
    Alex Johnson
    Matt Spangher
    Mike Pyke

Shane Mumford
    Josh Kennedy
    Ben McGlynn
    Gary Rohan
    Lewis Jetta
    Sam Reid
    Byron Sumner
    Trent Dennis-Lane
    Kristin Thornton

Rhyce Shaw
    Lewis Johnston
    Dan Hannebery
    Campbell Heath

Henry Playfair
    Martin Mattner
    Patrick Veszpremi
    Brett Meredith
    Craig Bird

Peter Everitt
    Daniel O'Keefe
    Daniel Currie
    Peter Faulks
    Jesse White

Paul Chambers
    Ted Richards
    Matthew Laidlaw
    Kristin Thornton
    Ryan Brabazon

Darren Jolly
    Jarred Moore
    David Spriggs
    Heath James

Josh Willoughby
    Tim Schmidt
    Amon Buchanan
    Andrew Ericksen
    Matthew Davis

Nick Davis
    Jarrad McVeigh
    Sean Dempster
    Josh Thewlis
    Nick Malceski

Fantastic drafting , just shows you don't have to bottom out and Tank like some of the pathetic Melbourne clubs !!

Quote Originally Posted by RBS1 View Post
    Fantastic drafting , just shows you don't have to bottom out and Tank like some of the pathetic Melbourne clubs !!
    Makes up for the wilderness years of 2002 - 2005
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

There's nothing impressive about our drafting/trading from 2003 - 2008
    6 years of drafts produced :
    Just 3 draftees who have gone on to become regular senior players - Buchanun, Bird ,Hannebery
    There is still hope for Meredith, Johnston, Heath.
    And 4 recycled players, who were already regular senior players for their Clubs - Jolly, Richards, Mattner, Shaw
    Everitt only gave us 1 good year. Chambers, Spriggs and Playfair gave us virtually nothing.
    That's 6 very lean years.
    Thank goodness for 2009 and hopefully 2010.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Just wild about Harry
    Will Meredith actually play again? He seemed to be a project player of Roos' but he is never mentioned in despatches anymore.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    Will Meredith actually play again? He seemed to be a project player of Roos' but he is never mentioned in despatches anymore.
    Yes, I worry about him too.
    He never seemed to have gotten a decent run. Showed a little.
    May not make the grade.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    I called this trade a disaster at the time and it seems I was on the mark, particulary if Meredith doesn't make the cut at the end of the year.

This the output to date for the respective clubs, with the two Saints boys good for another 4-5 seasons yet

Schneider 77 games 113 goals
    Dempster 56 games 8 goals

Meredith 14 games 8 goals

How depressing, particularly when we are crying out for someone (anyone) who can play forward

I don't think we lost anything at all with that trade. It's more a reflection on the Saints poor recruiting since then. AND don't you love it!
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
    I don't think we lost anything at all with that trade. It's more a reflection on the Saints poor recruiting since then. AND don't you love it!
    So you dont think Schneider would easily be in our best 22?

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    So you dont think Schneider would easily be in our best 22?
    Well he plays as a forward pocket so we compare him to TDL, Johnston even Bevan - so no when we have our 22 best on the ground.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well he plays as a forward pocket so we compare him to TDL, Johnston even Bevan - so no when we have our 22 best on the ground.
    I think that's a tad kind to those 3 to suggest they'd be in front of Adam. Adam just turned 27 this season, has already played 178 games and kicked 214 goals.

Apparently we had salary cap problems and that forced our hand, even taking that into consideration I think we lost something in that trade.

As an aside, it was suggested to me a week or so ago that with GWS being keen for a mix of picking up young guys as well as some more experienced fellows that they're interested in 1 Mr Schneider- having a profile with footy fans in Sydney carrying a chunk of currency. I wonder if, a little strangely, we could see Mr Meredith find his way there as well?
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Senior Player
    I'm sorry Bas but that is laughable

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast