Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swans Support at Metricon Stadium

What a year 2005 SSFC/CFC

Swans Support at Metricon Stadium

The amount of Swans support at Metricon was fantastic. When the team walked around to wave thanks the outbreak of cheering certainly was impressive.

A terrific turnout of our fans and for mine a great time to get away to see the Swans, if the Fat Controller could arrange this fixture to lead into the BluesFest it would suit me just fine!

Have to add Luke Parker what a little gem!
    Sports do not build character. They reveal it....Heywood Broun

I always turn to the sports pages first, which record people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures......Earl Warren

Veterans List
    Yes agree, a goodly amount of Swans supporters. I just bought tickets on the day and found myself amongst mostly Swanees - nice :-)

The crowd on the night was just over 16,000, and the Suns have just over 14,000 members, so there must have been at least a couple of thousand Swans supporters there.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What was the stadium like as a fan experience? It looks great on TV, we have family on the Gold Coast and would have headed up this year but had something on over the weekend- I'm sure it'll become a regular trip for us.

Most importantly, what was the food like?
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

"Most importantly, what was the food like? "
    MOst impartantly what was the beer price like, beer queue length and what was the choice of beer
    One vege patch at a time
    www.onegreenacre.com
    Looking for a beer? Look here,
    www.whereisthepub.org

Quote Originally Posted by blinddog View Post
    Most impartantly what was the beer price like, beer queue length and what was the choice of beer
    Yes, yes. Do tell.
    -

Regular in the Side
    Stadium was fantastic and maybe it was just where I was but it was so deathly silent ... I felt weird cheering!! A swans fan in front of us stood up and tried to start a cheer and almost got stared down by everyone ... Just very odd - never felt like that at a game before!

Regular in the Side
    The stadium has a great, modern feel about. It felt like sitting in the brand new car. So different to when I last when there in 2006, where it felt like a run down suburban ground. The Queensland Government should not regret the massive investment.

One surprise was how cold it was. I had spent the week on the Gold Coast, mainly in the day time, where the weather was warm enough to go swimming. By night, it appeared colder than Sydney.

I think Swans' support is very strong all over the country. Getting stronger anyway. The proportion of the crowd that turns up at Subi and the Gabba over the last few years has stood out to me as being bigger than it was a few years ago. Even through our '05-'06 period. Last year when we played Freo at Subi the Swans crowd behind the goals was monstrous I remember distinctly.

I genuinely think the Swans' have turned a corner in regards to strong and consistent support. In terms of fans who will come to the game no matter what there are probably about 20k in Sydney (give or take). Then there seems to be a lot of genuinely strong supporter groups in the other states, most of all in Melbourne which has been there for a long time now.

The fair-weathered will turn out and make the crowd look better when we're doing well, but I really think the Swans are in a strong position in terms of supporter numbers atm. And with a youngish teams with some potential stars running around, it bodes well for the next 10 years I think.

Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    The stadium has a great, modern feel about. It felt like sitting in the brand new car. So different to when I last when there in 2006, where it felt like a run down suburban ground. The Queensland Government should not regret the massive investment.
    It will be interesting to see how the re-development of the Sydney Showground goes. If it's as good as Metricon Stadium the Giants will have been very well looked after.

Quote Originally Posted by blinddog View Post
    MOst impartantly what was the beer price like, beer queue length and what was the choice of beer
    Beers were $6.60, spirits $9. Little or no queue at the bar where we were (Aisle 110 - on the Eastern Wing). Mid was Carlton, not sure what the light was. Spirits included a Vodka Sunrise and Smirnoff Lemonade. Food was typical overpriced stuff, but very few meat pies (only available at the bars, sold out before the game). Chips, hot dogs going for around $5, soft drinks $4.60. Nandos had a store set up there, where a burger, ships and drink would set you back $18. Sauce was extra, as were carry trays.

So there was that.

The ground looked good. Felt like a modern suburban ground, almost boutique like. Plastic ads on the front (chicken wire) fence made for easy banging for noise.

The taxi to the ground from Surfers was only $20 - we were laughing as that would barely get you over the bridge in Sydney. And free buses afterward to Jupiters.

All in all a good night.
    10100111001 ;-)

Veterans List
    Stadium was cracking, great sightlines, good seating, lots of space outside the seating and lots of activities set up. There was even a floodlit practice oval next door where you could have your kick to kick beforehand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast