Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Round 16: Sydney Swans Reserves v Eastlake Demons

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Round 16: Sydney Swans Reserves v Eastlake Demons

NEAFL Round 16
    Sydney Swans Reserves v Eastlake Demons
    Sunday 17th July 2011 9.40am
    Sydney Cricket Ground

After suffering their first loss of the season, how will the Ressies bounce back against a Demons side who are just hanging on to their spot in the Top 4? After going through the majority of the season injury-free, the team is struggling with player numbers as a variety of ailments and complaints have taken their toll. (see team list below)

Eastern Conference Ladder
    TeamPlayedWinsLossesDrawsByes%WonForAgainstPercentage
    Reserves121101191.67%1490612243.46%
    Ainslie11830272.73%1080928116.38%
    GWS11740263.64%1048880119.09%
    Eastlake11560245.45%94197097.01%
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tuggeranong11470236.36%917123774.13%
    Queanbeyan11380227.27%914125472.89%
    Belconnen11110029.09%694131252.90%

Past Meetings
    R2 Reserves 12.11 (83) defeated Eastlake 4.9 (33) @ Ainslie Oval
    After a poor, goalless first quarter, the Ressies regrouped and went on to record a comfortable victory to open the 2011 season in style. Trent Dennis-Lane kicked 3 goals while topup and academy player Kane Murphy was named BOG
    Goals: Dennis-Lane 3 Guthrie Murphy Haren 2 Currie Sumner Moore
    Best: Murphy Gordon McNeil Sumner McKaigue Currie

R4 Reserves 18.10 (118) defeated Eastlake 17.9 (111) @ SCG
    In an entertaining and competitive match, the Reserves managed to hold on against a fash-finishing Demons outfit. Top-up player Kieran Emery and Matthew O'Dwyer both booted 3 majors while Mike Pyke, Gary Rohan and Dylan McNeil were the standouts.
    Goals: Emery O'Dwyer 3 Veszpremi Currie Barlow Rohan 2 Bevan McNeil Playfair Johnston
    Best: Pyke Rohan McNeil O'Dwyer Bevan Reid

R9 Eastlake 8.13 (61) defeated by Reserves 14.12 (96) @ Manuka
    The Reserves completed their 5th straight away game with a comfortable victory over the Demons. Kristin Thornton and forwards Lewis Johnston (5 goals) & Trent Dennis-Lane (4 goals) were the Swans best players.
    Goals: Johnston 5 Dennis-Lane 4 Oram Barlow Currie Meredith Moore
    Best: Thornton Johnston Dennis-Lane Meredith O'Dwyer Gordon

R14 Reserves 21.15 (141) defeated Eastlake 15.12 (102) @ SCG
    A slow start to the game saw the Reserves trailing at quarter time, but once they clicked into gear, they were never really threatened by Eastlake on the scoreboard. Lewis Johnston starred with 5 goals at CHF, ably assisted by Pat Veszpremi and Trent Dennis-Lane's 4 goal hauls. Exciting South Australian Byron Sumner earnt his first BOG nomination, with sole ruckman Daniel Currie and Johnston also earning plaudits.
    Goals: Johnston 5 Veszpremi Dennis-Lane 4 McNeil 3 Potter Britton Rohan Sumner Gordon
    Best: Sumner Currie Johnston Gordon Veszpremi McNeil

Prelim Final Eastlake 13.11 (89) defeated Reserves 10.8 (68) @ Manuka
    The Reserves started the final well, holding a 19 point lead at half time but lost the advantage through a dismal 2nd quarter. The Demons managed to hang on to their lead for the rest of the game to progress through to the grand final. Topup player Kieran Emery and Dylan McNeil kicked 2 goals with Daniel Currie, Sam Reid and Kristin Thornton the best Swans in a losing effort.
    Goals: Emery McNeil 2 Trevillian Sumner Gordon Veszpremi Oram Thornton
    Best: Currie Reid Thornton McNeil Heath Price

Recent Form
    Reserves
    R1 BYE
    R2 WIN Away Eastlake 83-33
    R3 WIN Home Belconnen 138-29
    R4 BYE
    R5 WIN Home Tuggeranong 123-12
    R6 WIN Away GWS 87-27
    R7 WIN Home Gold Coast Reserves 120-28
    R8 BYE
    R9 WIN Away Ainslie 124-74
    R10 WIN Away Brisbane Reserves 104-97
    R11 WIN Home Queanbeyan 102-53
    R12 WIN Away GWS 115-29
    R13 WIN Home Queanbeyan 220-32
    R14 WIN Away Tuggeranong 212-57
    R15 LOSS Away Gold Coast Reserves 62-141

Eastlake
    R1 BYE
    R2 LOSS Home Sydney Reserves 33-83
    R3 LOSS Away Morningside 76-117
    R4 BYE
    R5 WIN Home Belconnen 133-54
    R6 BYE
    R7 LOSS Home Ainslie 57-94
    R8 LOSS Away Tuggeranong 87-91
    R9 LOSS Home GWS 50-112
    R10 LOSS Away Tuggeranong 67-144
    R11 WIN Away Belconnen 121-65
    R12 BYE
    R13 WIN Home Broadbeach 97-93
    R14 WIN Home Belconnen 114-63
    R15 WIN Home Queanbeyan 106-54

Last Round
    Gold Coast Reserves 21.15 (141) defeated by Reserves 9.8 (62)
    A poor showing was exacerbated by a lack of playing numbers after Brett Meredith (injury) Luke Parker and Jarred Moore (emergencies) were withdrawn before the game and Nathan Gordon 'sent off' during it for 2 reportable offences. With a full bench and chock full of listed players, the Suns dominated from start to finish to avenge their Round 7 loss.

Goal Kickers: Everitt 3 White 2 Gordon Sumner McNeil E.Moody
    Best Players: Seaby White Sumner McNeil

Eastlake 15.16 (106) defeated Queanbeyan 8.6 (54)

Goal Kickers: Egan Roulstone 3 Smith Tucker Armstrong 2 Wiles Taylforth L.McMahon
    Best Players: Wiles Bruce L.McMahon Roulstone Gumley Frail

Team List
    Listed players
    #NameGamesGoalsVotesNotes
    1Mark SEABY638 
    7Brett MEREDITH91014 
    28Dylan McNEIL12717 
    33Jarred MOORE91019Senior emergency
    35Campbell HEATH7314 
    36Chris McKAIGUE12111 
    42Paul BEVAN6917 
    44Max OTTEN1120 
    45Nathan GORDON102026Senior emergency
    Changes
    In: Meredith (hamstring), Moore (senior demotion)
    Out: Andrejs Everitt (injured?), Jesse White (senior promotion), Byron Sumner (???), Lewis Johnston (knee), Eugene Kruger (???)

This is a tentative team list.

Everitt was named on the extended senior bench on Thursday night only to be not named tonight. One can only assume that he probably won't be playing in the ressies then. Not sure on Byron's absence, he was reported last week but was reportedly free to play this one.

TDL being named as an emergency would signify that he is fit to play. One or more of the emergencies may be withdrawn as a precaution for the seniors though.

There's a distinct lack of height in this team, which will be accentuated should Everitt not play either. McKaigue and Heath can operate as undersized defenders while Max Otten can operate at either end. TDL, Moore and Bevan should be the focal points in attack and while Gordon has shown he can kick big bags of goals he may be swung back to the midfield to plug some gaps. Seaby is the only recognised ruckman in the team after Dan Currie failed to pass the fitness test on his foot and will have his hands full against a strong ruck duo of Chad Gibson and Max Wilson

Academy Players/Topups
    #NameGamesGoalsVotesNotes
    47Jackson POTTER300 
    48Blake GUTHRIE620 
    49Nathan KENNY900 
    50James BRAIN811 
    53Kane MURPHY989 
    54Tim WALES910 
    ?Mitch CRAWFORD300 
    ?Mitch DALY000from Wollongong
    ?Thomas GREEN000from Wollongong
    ?Brandon JACK000from Pennant Hills
    ?Peter LAKE000from Wollongong
    ?Rory PRYOR100#51 last week
    ?Stephen WRAY400#57 last week
    Changes
    In: Brain, Daly, Green, Guthrie, Jack, Lake, Potter
    Out: Andrew Moody, Eric Moody

Also tentative, some may drop out and I hear there may be more toppies on the way!

The completion of the U18 champs releases Potter and Guthrie but there's no Jack Lynch.

Reserves leading goalkickers

• Trent Dennis-Lane 48
    • Nathan Gordon 20
    • Jesse White 17

For full list: 2011 Leading goalkickers - RWOwiki

Reserves leading votegetters

• Byron Sumner 28
    • Nathan Gordon 26
    • Daniel Currie 20

For full list: 2011 Best votes - RWOwiki

Talking points

• How many listed players will take the field? A new world record for the number of topups could be reached on Sunday
    • Will this match also be shifted to Lakeside Oval due to the weather?

Eastlake Squad (1 to be omitted)

• 2. Jason DUCE
    • 3. Mitch FRAIL
    • 4. Aaron BRUCE
    • 5. Mark EGAN
    • 9. Peter McGRATH
    • 11. Justin MESMAN
    • 12. Aaron WILES
    • 14. Ben MAIDEN
    • 15. Sam SMITH
    • 16. Max WILSON
    • 17. Alex HART
    • 18. Stafford COOPER
    • 19. Hayden ARMSTRONG
    • 20. Leigh McMAHON
    • 22. Mark KIMBALL
    • 23. Chad GIBSON
    • 28. David CUMMINS
    • 32. Dean ROULSTONE
    • 33. Jake GUMLEY
    • 37. Matt WILLIAMS
    • 39. Dane KEENES
    • 40. Len HADDRILL
    • 44. Xavier McMAHON
    • 45. Matthew TUCKER
    • 46. Mitch TAYLFORTH

In:
    Hart, Gibson, Williams, Haddrill
    Out:
    Tim GRAY

Summary
    With only 12 listed players and possibly less, this match should be closer than the Round 2 clash in Canberra. Hopefully the players that do front up will use this as an opportunity to impress the coaches in tougher than usual circumstances.
    Last edited by ugg; 16th July 2011 at 05:30 PM.

Live tweeting from this game. If the rain isn't too heavy, it will be the usual fare otherwise will revert to quarter by quarter scores.

Also, this will be my last preview for 5 weeks as I'm headed overseas. If anyone's interested in taking over the previews and/or the @swansreserves Twitter account for the following games, please let me know.
    23Jul GWS @ SCG
    6Aug Belconnen @ Manuka
    14Aug Queanbeyan @ Dairy Farmers
    20Aug Brisbane @ BOP

For the previews I can draft up a shortened template for those games and you will only have to fill in the ladder and the team list (if available).

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Live tweeting from this game. If the rain isn't too heavy, it will be the usual fare otherwise will revert to quarter by quarter scores.

Also, this will be my last preview for 5 weeks as I'm headed overseas. If anyone's interested in taking over the previews and/or the @swansreserves Twitter account for the following games, please let me know.
    23Jul GWS @ SCG
    6Aug Belconnen @ Manuka
    14Aug Queanbeyan @ Dairy Farmers
    20Aug Brisbane @ BOP

For the previews I can draft up a shortened template for those games and you will only have to fill in the ladder and the team list (if available).
    Noooooo

How can you do this! ... this is of course the act of a seriously selfish individual, but have a great trip anyway!

Panic attack pannic aatttaakkkkkk. More importantly YOU ARE GOING TO MISS FIVE WEEKS OF AFL!!!! It had better be for a good reason!
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

I'll miss your updates Ugg - thanks for your previews!

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Surely Brandon Jack's first game as a Swan should be a talking point. No pressure or anything, kid!
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

I suspect that Lynch is injured. He was doing very well for NSW/ACT in the second last u18 champs game they played, and then suddenly he stopped getting stats. Presumably he got injured, and he didn't line up for the last game.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

I've adjusted the team list. Out go Everitt, Kruger and TDL leaving us with just 9 listed players and 13 topups. This also means we're 2 players short of the 24 that we're allowed

TDL's withdrawal is due to either:
    1) He's in the seniors
    2) He's the non-playing emergency
    3) He's re-injured his foot or injured something else.

Now given he missed last week and queries have been placed upon his fitness, it wouldn't make much sense for him to be the non-playing emergency as he needs the match fitness. So it's either scenario 1 or 3 for me. All guesswork on my part of course

Blog Entries
    Let's hope it is 1)

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    Panic attack pannic aatttaakkkkkk. More importantly YOU ARE GOING TO MISS FIVE WEEKS OF AFL!!!! It had better be for a good reason!
    He's going overseas to find himself a bride. Naturally this is a very long process and hence the 5 weeks.

She will need to be very good at statistics and team list reading. Would have to love to travel (BOP, Manuka and Showground next year). Have her own pencil and rubber for scoring and a photographic memory.

Women like this are just not available here.

Big Al and I have asked him to find a couple of wives for us. Our criteria was that they can speak fluent english e,g "Beer and chips, yes?" and have super woman remote control finding capabilities.

Why complicate life with deep amd meaningful conversations?

Have a safe trip Ugg and enjoy the adventure.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Also, this will be my last preview for 5 weeks as I'm headed overseas.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What are we supposed to do during this time?!?!?!?!

Hmpf! Ok, have a good trip Ugg (begrudgingly.. double hmpf! )

Aw man, how are we going to survive without Grand Master Ugg's reports?
    If no one else can/wants to do it I'll try my (questionable) skills on the Aug. 20 game at BOP

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast