Thread: Game Plan

Pushing for Selection

Game Plan

G'day All, first time user.
    My concern is that the possesion game that serves us so well, the denial to play what the afl didnt want us to has left this group. When we have the ball THEY dont. Thats what made us sucessful. I know the Afl have changed the rules because of us but possesion is 9 -10TH's of a win. Under extreme pressure to make the game attractive our lack of top trade picks(because we are the most consitant finals performer in the comp) hurts us. On saying that every one at this level can hit a target. Sometimes we need to slow the play and play on our terms. We have the talent for sure but some of our old dogs find it hard to change. TDL should be in the team because he is accurate. U=I love goodsey but he must have a broken foot because his disposal is almost bordering on Dunks.
    Any way thats my 2 cents.
    Go Swannies.

i think that all game plans are within the context of the top 22 player abilities and the depth of the player list.

So lets take for example the Pies who play a full forward press because they have the backline that can cope with fast break counter attack.......plus they have a very creative mix of smalls and talls. They have the best backline in the comp in my opinion which gives the foundation of confidence to press and pressure up field !

lets take soccer for example..........with the forward press this works well to control the game in the opposition half but makes it very difficult to score goals unless you have the ability of Spain ala last world cup and futsal football in close short sharp passing like basketball almost............Guss tried it with our guys in 2006 ie play possession in the world cup..........play upfield and control the ball and it worked to a certain degree but we didnt quite have a Brazil, Argentine type talent to pull it off.

so coming back to our guys.......the swans...........when we had Micky and Bazza etc and playing chip ahead football to our forwards like the Hawks up teh field isolating one on one with ROK turning to Mick and then Mick turning to Barry this worked very very well.........we controlled tempo and possession.........we had great leading one on one players and we converted goals.........the comp also felt alot more evenly spread compared to the rush of high draft picks and father sons that we have seen with the Pies and Carlton for example the last few years.........ie we have something like 4 top ten picks/father son vs the Pies at something like 12 !!! over the last 10 yrs

So back to our game plan and what worked in the mid 2000's and the AFL over reacting to desperately wanting fast break football..........yep our recruits were in and under slow tempo possession football and Carlton are completely the opposite for example.......Pies and Geelong and Hawks are a compliment of both fast break football and high pressure one on one players.

so there list of players works well............and Swans and Saints who were almost identical to us and played well for a few years have suffered...........Eagles lost their speed from 2005 and 2006..........and have now started to get the balance right for the big games..............not quite yet but are still the danger to the top5

so until our key position players upfront can dominate like Mick and Bazza its all just spectating and hoping for now .................plus a fast break players would be just lovely........Rohan come on son in you go again !

but i still luv it !
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 22nd July 2011 at 09:19 PM.
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Pushing for Selection
    Can somebody tell me if the ressies are playing this type of football. Being in vic we hear and see nothing of the magoo's. We were killing them and then get hammered. I hope Henry is adopting a game plan that will guide our next team into what is required, although up againt pretty ordinary opposition. I go and watch some of the VFL and its right up there in terms of game plan. What about Merideith, heath etc are they up to it!!!

On the Rookie List
    My game plan is simple. Unlock the top lift door for my mates to come in, pack the BBQ with prawns chicken,pork and all that other health food, pack the fridge with beer, turn on the 50 inch,connect the wall Bose speakers, open up the curtain to a beautiful 28degree Chiangmai and wait for my drop kick mates to arrive .If there is a better game plan can somebody tell me?

Quote Originally Posted by Hartijon View Post
    My game plan is simple. Unlock the top lift door for my mates to come in, pack the BBQ with prawns chicken,pork and all that other health food, pack the fridge with beer, turn on the 50 inch,connect the wall Bose speakers, open up the curtain to a beautiful 28degree Chiangmai and wait for my drop kick mates to arrive .If there is a better game plan can somebody tell me?
    Hmmmm. and the address is ?????????

I think t is fair to say that our 4 qtr effort yest against the Dogs was close to the best I have seen for many weeks

execution of some basic skills still killed us but the pressure on the ball was absolutely dogged ! well done lads
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartijon View Post
    I'm glad you made such a point in the other thread about people not talking strictly about footy!
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Hmmmm. and the address is ?????????
    He's forgotten it. You've seen The Hangover 2 haven't you?
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    I'm glad you made such a point in the other thread about people not talking strictly about footy!
    What other thread? who me? Can't remember!