Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 37 to 48 of 110

Thread: Big Bad Barry

  1. #37
    Veterans List Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    7,006
    Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    Booing Barry Hall, noting his contribution to the club, particularly in 2005, makes an otherwise "Swans supporter" so negative, so lacking gratitude, such a profound absence of a balanced appreciation of the club's history, that their support for the club is diluted.

    That's my opinion, nothing else. No ones taking away ya membership card. It's just a personal opinion!

    And I stand by the view that booing is childish. We are taught as children not to boo. I booed Ray Chamberlain last week. I was angry and emotional, but conduct doesn't make it proper and mature. It was still silly, unpractical, unproductive, and yes-childish, based purely on negative emotions.
    Who did Barry Hall play for yesterday?? Why weren't you trying to put off a player that was trying to destroy the season of a club you supposedly support???

    See how it works both ways. Bet you wouldn't like it if people said to you that your not a true supporter because you put an individual before the club.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

    Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

  2. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen87 View Post
    I was saying Boo-urrns
    Gold!

    FWIW I didn't boo him, but I usually only do that to players I despise, like Ballantyne from Freo. There were a lot of boos as he ran in to kick one of his goals, but I think that was more because of a free kick for a clear throw that wasn't paid against the Dogs in the build up. I wanted him to have a poor game yesterday but I wish him well generally. It does seem to me that BBB expects that supporters here will be cheering for him during a match even when he's playing for another team that's trying to beat us and that's clearly unrealistic. Before and after the game I'm sure many supporters would be right behind him but the gloves should be off during the match I'd have thought.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

  3. #39
    Kirky should have held up the cup.

  4. #40
    Happy and I know it
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,168
    Look, Barry left me - I didn't leave him. End of story.

  5. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by SwansFan1972 View Post
    Kirky should have held up the cup.
    But I do still enjoy looking at my premiership collectible showing Baz and Roosy every time I walk up the stairs (it has pride of place under a framed jersey from 2005 signed at the mid year fans night - VERY happy with that! - and alongside a Paul Kelly spread bought when Kel retired).

    Baz is done, just about dusted, and about to sail off into history like thousands before him and thousands will after. His story is more 'colourful' than most, and his place in our history is assured (even if he seems a little bitter and in denial at the moment). Since we don't really grow up and figure the world out until we're 40 (IMO), he will eventually come around and acknowledge the club's history and his wonderful place in it. Oh - and time heals all wounds.

  6. #42
    Regular in the Side
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sutherland Shire
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Who did Barry Hall play for yesterday?? Why weren't you trying to put off a player that was trying to destroy the season of a club you supposedly support???

    See how it works both ways. Bet you wouldn't like it if people said to you that your not a true supporter because you put an individual before the club.
    The rationale of that argument is that one has two choices. If in one choice, you "act" as it were, NOT to boo, you become part of camp A. You automatically give support to Barry Hall over the Sydney Football Club. By that logic, over 19,000 people would fall into such a camp! And if you exercise your free right to call me and those 19,000 people not true supporters, I have no compunction whatsoever.

    The reality is one choses to boo. And booing is unnecessary. You are perfectively
    entitled to do so. But to boo the only living Swans Premiership captain reflects a lack of
    appreciation of the club's history; in my opinion

  7. #43
    Veterans List Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    7,006
    Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post

    The reality is one choses to boo. And booing is unnecessary. You are perfectively
    entitled to do so. But to boo the only living Swans Premiership captain reflects a lack of
    appreciation of the club's history; in my opinion
    That's fine. I disagree but that's an opinion I can deal with. However it is blatantly unfair to call into question whether someone is a real supporter or nor just because you don't agree with them.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

    Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

  8. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    The rationale of that argument is that one has two choices. If in one choice, you "act" as it were, NOT to boo, you become part of camp A. You automatically give support to Barry Hall over the Sydney Football Club. By that logic, over 19,000 people would fall into such a camp! And if you exercise your free right to call me and those 19,000 people not true supporters, I have no compunction whatsoever.

    The reality is one choses to boo. And booing is unnecessary. You are perfectively
    entitled to do so. But to boo the only living Swans Premiership captain reflects a lack of
    appreciation of the club's history; in my opinion
    Geez - going to the footy could get complicated if rationales on booing need consideration before deciding whether to open one's vocal chords!

    It used to just be sitting in the rain and cheering your team and booing the other one, right? Maybe the booers were just booing the opposition forward lining up on goal (or scoring them) and he just coincidentally happened to be the only one for them that was doing that for most of the game!

    Could be there was nothing personal in it at all!

  9. #45
    Veterans List Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    7,006
    Bottom line is that the club is more important than any one individual. Booing an opposition player standing between the club and a win seems right to me. Like booing an Umpire to pressure them for favourable decisions which we probably should stop. It doesn't bloody work in Sydney.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

    Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

  10. #46
    Regular in the Side
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sutherland Shire
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    That's fine. I disagree but that's an opinion I can deal with. However it is blatantly unfair to call into question whether someone is a real supporter or nor just because you don't agree with them.
    What has being "fair" got to do with anything? I'm not making decisions, just expressing an opinion, as you are.

  11. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Bottom line is that the club is more important than any one individual. Booing an opposition player standing between the club and a win seems right to me. Like booing an Umpire to pressure them for favourable decisions which we probably should stop. It doesn't bloody work in Sydney.
    +1

    Although, maybe Top 40 is on to something! Can you imagine how freaky it would have been for Baz to line up for goal and be able to hear a pin drop? Silence to greet the run ups, the drops and the goals sure would have had a different feel to it!

    But then poor ole Baz might have felt more insulted by such callous indifference from his former friends among the SCG crowd!!

    Thankfully the question of to boo or not to boo the dogs #1 fan won't occupy our minds at a game ever again! I can sleep easy now ....

  12. #48
    Veterans List Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    7,006
    Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    What has being "fair" got to do with anything? I'm not making decisions, just expressing an opinion, as you are.
    If someone said to you you're not a true Swans Supporter what would your reaction be?? That's my only beef with your opinion. You are belittling people because you don't agree with them.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

    Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO