Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 49 to 60 of 110

Thread: Big Bad Barry

  1. #49
    Regular in the Side
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sutherland Shire
    Posts
    894
    I thought I already answered that question. Not offended.

    My views are based on those who choose to boo the only living
    Premiership captain, and whose contribution to the club for the best part of a decade was enormous. It is plainly inaccurate to state that I an issue (aka "are belittling") with anyone PURELY because they do not agree with me. Far the opposite, I encourage people to voice their opinions through this website, even they do not coincide with mine.

  2. #50
    Leadership Group goswannie14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Belmont, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    11,166
    Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    The rationale of that argument is that one has two choices. If in one choice, you "act" as it were, NOT to boo, you become part of camp A. You automatically give support to Barry Hall over the Sydney Football Club. By that logic, over 19,000 people would fall into such a camp! And if you exercise your free right to call me and those 19,000 people not true supporters, I have no compunction whatsoever.
    You have just, by your own reply, shown how ridiculous your original argument is.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

  3. #51
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,718
    My impression when BBB got booed was that it was a normal reaction from the crowd to an opposition FF kicking for goal, with maybe an extra decibel cos he is a former swan.
    Plenty players who go from club to club leave with a shadow over the parting...Bradshaw left a shipwreck, Luke Ball left in bad blood, even Schneids wasn't over the moon!
    Hall led us to a flag, he kicked over 100 goals for 3 clubs ..he can barrack for whoever he wants..he owes neither us, the Saints nor the Dogs a thing.
    And similarly, supporters of those clubs can voice their opinions as they wish..it's their business.

  4. #52
    Veterans List Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    7,007
    Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    I thought I already answered that question. Not offended.

    My views are based on those who choose to boo the only living
    Premiership captain, and whose contribution to the club for the best part of a decade was enormous. It is plainly inaccurate to state that I an issue (aka "are belittling") with anyone PURELY because they do not agree with me. Far the opposite, I encourage people to voice their opinions through this website, even they do not coincide with mine.
    Whether you intended to or not calling someone not a true fan is belittling and insulting. Ironically I have no issues with both sides of the boo Hall debate. I sat with a good friend yesterday who loves Barry and would never boo. She would never call me not a true fan because I didn't feel the same love.

    Anyway you can have the last say on this. I'm moving on to more important matters. There's a Kirk as coach thread that could get very interesting.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

    Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

  5. #53
    Veterans List
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,533
    Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    IMy views are based on those who choose to boo the only living
    Premiership captain, and whose contribution to the club for the best part of a decade was enormous.
    I'm getting tired of this lie continually being dished up. The captains after Maxfield in 2005 were Brett Kirk, Leo Barry and Barry Hall. Yes, in the rotation for stability they decided Baz would continue to do the captains duties throughout the whole finals series. But he was only 1/3 of the Swans Premiership captains. Brett and Leo have as much right as Baz to that title and as far as know both of them are still quite well and living.

    And neither of them let us down as badly as Barry did. Few have. Or had such a long run of bad playing. 2004-06 Baz kicked 74, 80 and 78 (though notably none in the 2006 GF). In 2007 he kicked 44 and in 2008 he kicked 41. Sure he spent a lot of that time suspended but you must remember the distinct lack of confidence we all felt when he ran in to kick on goal.

    His dismissal of the Swans this week deserves boos even if he wasn't playing for another team. It certainly diminishes him. Personally I enjoyed him walking off the SCG yesterday a loser with his new loser best mates. It was nice to see Tadhg and LRT go over to him but the rest rightly regarded him as an irrelevance.

    I'll take bets we won't be happy when his book comes out. He's already showed his petulance. And anyone who saw the honour with which he was treated at the Swans 2008 B&F will know that, like so many breakups, it's him not us.

  6. #54
    Veterans List Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    7,007
    Beautifully put GS. You're right about the Captain situation as well. Something I forget about I must admit.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

    Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

  7. #55
    On the Rookie List Cant turn right's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Under the Bridge
    Posts
    231
    I watched Hally closely after the siren. All the Swans players, some runners and some trainers sought him out. He had a long chat and cuddle with Tige. A frosty handshake with Maxfield. A pretty friendly chat with (i think) Goodesy and LRT. A friendly exchange with Reg, Jude and Rhyce. As he went back down the race he stayed away from the Swans in the Noble, sticking to the Doggies contingent on the other side of the race. There was certainly no 'farewell to the Swan supporters' as I recall being touted in the media leading up to the week.

  8. #56
    It's Goodes to cheer!! Site Admin ScottH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Master of the house, keeper of the zoo
    Posts
    23,536
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    I'm getting tired of this lie continually being dished up. The captains after Maxfield in 2005 were Brett Kirk, Leo Barry and Barry Hall. Yes, in the rotation for stability they decided Baz would continue to do the captains duties throughout the whole finals series. But he was only 1/3 of the Swans Premiership captains. Brett and Leo have as much right as Baz to that title and as far as know both of them are still quite well and living.

    And neither of them let us down as badly as Barry did. Few have. Or had such a long run of bad playing. 2004-06 Baz kicked 74, 80 and 78 (though notably none in the 2006 GF). In 2007 he kicked 44 and in 2008 he kicked 41. Sure he spent a lot of that time suspended but you must remember the distinct lack of confidence we all felt when he ran in to kick on goal.

    His dismissal of the Swans this week deserves boos even if he wasn't playing for another team. It certainly diminishes him. Personally I enjoyed him walking off the SCG yesterday a loser with his new loser best mates. It was nice to see Tadhg and LRT go over to him but the rest rightly regarded him as an irrelevance.

    I'll take bets we won't be happy when his book comes out. He's already showed his petulance. And anyone who saw the honour with which he was treated at the Swans 2008 B&F will know that, like so many breakups, it's him not us.
    Actually, didn't we have abt 10 Captains in rotation after Maxfield in 2005??

  9. #57
    On the Rookie List Cant turn right's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Under the Bridge
    Posts
    231
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Actually, didn't we have abt 10 Captains in rotation after Maxfield in 2005??
    Yep it was heaps of captains in the H&A rounds and then a scaled down list for the finals series

  10. #58
    Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    552
    Quote Originally Posted by Cant turn right View Post
    I watched Hally closely after the siren. All the Swans players, some runners and some trainers sought him out. He had a long chat and cuddle with Tige. A frosty handshake with Maxfield. A pretty friendly chat with (i think) Goodesy and LRT. A friendly exchange with Reg, Jude and Rhyce. As he went back down the race he stayed away from the Swans in the Noble, sticking to the Doggies contingent on the other side of the race. There was certainly no 'farewell to the Swan supporters' as I recall being touted in the media leading up to the week.
    Thanks CTR. It wasn't obvious on TV that that many players had gone to Hall after the siren.

    Thanks also to Go Swannies for reminding us that Kirky and Leaping Leo could've lifted the Cup in 2005. In hindsight, wouldn't it have been great if one of those 2 received the honour instead of Hally?

  11. #59
    http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226100117751

    Good article from Rebecca Wilson ... provides much food for thought.

  12. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by SwansFan1972 View Post
    http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226100117751

    Good article from Rebecca Wilson ... provides much food for thought.
    Urgh. Reading that article made me feel physically ill.

    The depths that journos will stoop to in order to grab a story knows no bounds.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO