Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Big Bad Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Thanks CTR. It wasn't obvious on TV that that many players had gone to Hall after the siren.

Thanks also to Go Swannies for reminding us that Kirky and Leaping Leo could've lifted the Cup in 2005. In hindsight, wouldn't it have been great if one of those 2 received the honour instead of Hally?
    No.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Quote Originally Posted by SwansFan1972 View Post
    http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226100117751

Good article from Rebecca Wilson ... provides much food for thought.
    Whether it is good or not could be a matter for debate.

Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    Urgh. Reading that article made me feel physically ill.

The depths that journos will stoop to in order to grab a story knows no bounds.
    Calling Wilson a Journalist could be stretching the meaning of the word.

Crap article from a loud mouthed know it all pathetic excuse for a journalist.
    Last edited by goswannie14; 24th July 2011 at 05:55 PM. Reason: fat fingers
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Urgh. Reading that article made me feel physically ill.

The depths that journos will stoop to in order to grab a story knows no bounds.
    Interesting reaction. Generally I agree about journos, but I have to say I didn't see much in that article that would indicate she made anything up, or was being harsh or unreasonable. You clearly did though - which parts in particular?

The Hall call to Roos that went ignored seems to be Baz's biggest beef (as alluded to all week by him). Question has to be asked though - what exactly was he expecting to hear from Roos that would have made any difference to the situation? It was clearly a last straw moment, and Hall would have to have been some kind of fool (which I don't think he is) to think anything he could say would have changed things.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post

Nice tee off and very professional name calling - but am interested in what you find so objectionable about what she wrote.

I am only on the third page of this thread but have sooooooo many different posts I wanted to respond to that I have to early.
    Therefore:

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    I ignored him. He has dissed us off, even though he was captain of this club, won a grand final, was forgiven his transgressions until turning a blind eye was no longer tennable. And he had the temerity to dismiss 25,000 Sydney Swans as being irrelivent (sic). Never wonder why he was booed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    Stuff Barry Hall.

He cost us a premiership, and now wants to be remembered as a Dog
    Spot on to both of these, my feeling exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    I am not stopping people from booing Barry Hall. It is your perfect right to do so. But in myopinion, I repeat: it is childish to boo Barry Hall. Immature, purile-childish.

I also repeat: to be SO ingrateful about his contributions to the club, particularly in light of 2005, that you feel the NEED to boo him: I question if one is a true Swans supporter. Afterall, he is the only one of four players to captain the club to a VFL/AFL Premiership in their history. And I don't care if you've been supporting the club since 1874!

Finally, I pose the question to those of you who booed Barry Hall. If you are consistent with your attitude to Hall, you will be compelled to boo him the night he is honoured by the club with a Hall of Fame disitinction, (and that night will come eventually)
    I boo Hall, booed him in the warm up, booed him when he ran on the field and booed him every time he went near the ball, HE WAS WEARING A BULLDOGS GUERNSEY IN CASE YOU DIDN'T NOTICE!!!!! That's the guernsey of the club that he wishes to be remembered as being associated with, not the club that he was soooo magnificent for (your thoughts not mind). He disses the Swans every chance he gets so why shouldn't I diss him when I get the chance?
    Oh and finally, I'd feel VERY compelled to boo him at a HOF, again cause he has dissed us EVERY CHANCE THAT HE HAS HAD!!!!
    You take a very "Holier than thou" stance in this matter, as is your right, but step down off your soap box and give others the right to support however they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Well here's something for you to ponder. Those who didn't boo Barry Hall are not true Swans supporters because the club comes before player allegiances.

Now obviously that's a load of crap but hopefully you get the point that assessing someone as not a true supporter is rubbish. Happy for you to criticize and disagree with people but cut out calling people childish and not true supporters.
    Love your work Al.......

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    I am only on the third page of this thread but have sooooooo many different posts I wanted to respond to that I have to early.
    Therefore:

Spot on to both of these, my feeling exactly.

I boo Hall, booed him in the warm up, booed him when he ran on the field and booed him every time he went near the ball, HE WAS WEARING A BULLDOGS GUERNSEY IN CASE YOU DIDN'T NOTICE!!!!! That's the guernsey of the club that he wishes to be remembered as being associated with, not the club that he was soooo magnificent for (your thoughts not mind). He disses the Swans every chance he gets so why shouldn't I diss him when I get the chance?
    Oh and finally, I'd feel VERY compelled to boo him at a HOF, again cause he has dissed us EVERY CHANCE THAT HE HAS HAD!!!!
    You take a very "Holier than thou" stance in this matter, as is your right, but step down off your soap box and give others the right to support however they want.

Love your work Al.......

Saying I am "Holier than thou" and "on a soap box", (an extraordinary irony noting this website is ALL ABOUT people on soap boxes via an internet website!), represents personal mudthrowing. It is attacking the person not the ball

NOT ONCE, NOT ONE SINGLE TIME have I made judgmental, personal and nasty attacks against individuals who have contributed to this particular thread. Not once have a got down to the mud and been "personal" it were, simply because I do not agree with one's comments.

Once this debate gets personal and nasty, it becomes an unnessary exercise for everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post

It's certainly an opinionated piece. I thought the illustration (by Boo Baily ) was amusing:

To all those people who waited 72 years to see a South Melbourne/Sydney Swans premiership HERE IT IS!!

Quote Originally Posted by SwansFan1972 View Post
    Interesting reaction. Generally I agree about journos, but I have to say I didn't see much in that article that would indicate she made anything up, or was being harsh or unreasonable. You clearly did though - which parts in particular?

The Hall call to Roos that went ignored seems to be Baz's biggest beef (as alluded to all week by him). Question has to be asked though - what exactly was he expecting to hear from Roos that would have made any difference to the situation? It was clearly a last straw moment, and Hall would have to have been some kind of fool (which I don't think he is) to think anything he could say would have changed things.
    The problem I have is she has made a mountain out of a molehill. Hall and Roos have both categorically stated that there is no rift, no hard feelings. Hall said he feels more like a Bulldog, well OF COURSE he feels more like a Bulldog! He IS one! After he has retired, he will probably feel differently, but he was just saying what is appropriate. It would have been a shocking look for him to say, "Nah, my heart's still with the good ol' Swannies" days before he goes out and plays us!

What's more sickening is her portrayal of the Swans as some sort of charity that Hall took advantage of and ditched, which gave Hall a thousand chances before finally giving up, and finally, for having a no dickheads policy (that is the biggest load of tripe I've ever heard). Hall threw some punches on the field. He copped what he deserved from the MRP. That's it. The only reason Hall left the Swans was because he couldn't be trusted to perform. It wasn't an issue of morality, it was an issue of him still being a reliable player on the field (as opposed to a perennially suspended one).

The fact is, Hall has been nothing but a gentleman about the Swans since he has left. He has been frank about feeling let down by Roos on an interpersonal level, and Roos has stuck his hand up and admitted he didn't handle it well. Journos have since taken any statement that Hall has made about being happy with the Bulldogs and painted it out as a backhanded swipe at the Swans, which is plain ridiculous. How would we feel if Rhyce Shaw kept talking about the good old days at Collingwood? If Shane Mumford said he was still a Cat at heart? Or Josh Kennedy wanted to be back at the Hawks?

The entire Hall saga was messy and undesirable for everybody involved (except the Dogs), but it was handled as well as can be by all parties, with minimal fuss. The media are squeezing it for every bit of juice it has got, and it's pathetic.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

I like Barry Hall. I hope in the future he can return to the club in some capacity (if those involved get over the melodrama.)

That said I'd boo the guernsey, but not the man.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Warming the Bench Cant turn right's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    I like Barry Hall. I hope in the future he can return to the club in some capacity (if those involved get over the melodrama.)

That said I'd boo the guernsey, but not the man.
    I'd agree with that

Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    Saying I am "Holier than thou" and "on a soap box", (an extraordinary irony noting this website is ALL ABOUT people on soap boxes via an internet website!), represents personal mudthrowing. It is attacking the person not the ball

NOT ONCE, NOT ONE SINGLE TIME have I made judgmental, personal and nasty attacks against individuals who have contributed to this particular thread. Not once have a got down to the mud and been "personal" it were, simply because I do not agree with one's comments.

Once this debate gets personal and nasty, it becomes an unnessary exercise for everyone!
    Interesting take on things. You labelled a group of Swans fans as childish and not true Swans supporters. That seems pretty personal to me but you justify it because you didn't name individuals. You can't expect people not to come back at you when you question the veracity of their support for the Swans. I for example can't on this forum say that people from Town X are all boguns without expecting all the Town X people return fire. I can't hide behind the fact that I didn't name any individuals.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Veterans List
    Hall threw some punches on the field.
    That's a bit like saying Wayne Carey was a bit romantic at team parties. Or Fev likes a drink and a bet.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast