Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Bye weekend

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    ...with a flake
    Who's the flake. And we went for Adriano's V8 Diesel as one of the guest is gluten intolerant (and I hate marzipan). Must be the bye week when we're just about to break into exchanging recipes.

Back on the footy, do you think the break has come at a good time? It certainly wasn't working well for teams at the start of the season but I see Horse and Goodes saying they are really looking forward to a break - especially the kids who have stood up well so far (when those in other teams are wilting).

I guess it comes down to - do you expect us to come back and beat the Bombers in Melbourne? I do, after watching the intensity the Swans finally brought to the complete game on Sunday. As I texted a Doggies mate - they have more skill but we are trying a lot harder. Wins against the Dons and Tigers would set us up well for the Saints. Win that and I'd love to see us take it to the Cats at Skilled (like the Pies, it's been too long).

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by SwansFan1972 View Post
    Thank heavens the bye was this week and not last. After Bubbles Chamberlain's big steal, would have been a very very long period to be cranky!

Interesting fixturing though - bye then two away games. Withdrawals will well and truly have kicked in by the time the Saints game comes around.

Hopefully their form will have hit a speed bump by then too - typical we didn't get a crack at em when they were still feeling sick and sorry for themselves after their 2010 heartbreak. I certainly thought they wouldn't get off the canvas this season, but they have done it pretty well (darn it!)
    They are NOT the side of last year and the year before. Sure they might stagger into the 8 but they wont last, I expect us to account for them. They were always going to come back though as they are a top 8 side but they are no longer premiership threats IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    Back on the footy, do you think the break has come at a good time? It certainly wasn't working well for teams at the start of the season but I see Horse and Goodes saying they are really looking forward to a break - especially the kids who have stood up well so far (when those in other teams are wilting).
    Roos made a good point (again) on OTC last week when they put up some stats re: the bye which showed early in the year teams were losing after it but it has swung around now and teams are winning after the bye.

He thought that earlier in the year, teams were essentially fit, keen and working on structures etc and the break in routine was a distraction. As the season progresses past halfway and just about every player on the senior lists are carrying some sort of niggle and the ice man is working overtime after every game, the chance to have a week off and freshen up and perhaps get over a niggle or two is beneficial.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    ... Iceman is working overtime...
    I didn't know Val Kilmer was that hard up for work.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Just wild about Harry
    I'm at the mercy of my youngest daughter and boyfriend who are taking us out for dinner to an as yet undisclosed location....
    You have a boyfriend?

Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    You have a boyfriend?
    Jealous much?

Just wild about Harry
    Jealous much?
    You are indeed the man who has everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    You are indeed the man who has everything.
    Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Roos made a good point (again) on OTC last week when they put up some stats re: the bye which showed early in the year teams were losing after it but it has swung around now and teams are winning after the bye.

He thought that earlier in the year, teams were essentially fit, keen and working on structures etc and the break in routine was a distraction. As the season progresses past halfway and just about every player on the senior lists are carrying some sort of niggle and the ice man is working overtime after every game, the chance to have a week off and freshen up and perhaps get over a niggle or two is beneficial.
    He's right! Since round 14 seven teams have come back from a bye, only one has lost (the Crows going down to Essendon in round 17).

Now we just have to get over our Essendon in Melbourne hoodoo.
    Last edited by ShockOfHair; 28th July 2011 at 03:51 PM. Reason: On God's instructions
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    ...Now we just have to get over our Essendon in Melbourne hoodoo.
    oh come on, it would only have been 6yrs to the day that we beat the bummers 118-98 and Etihad, although it was probably the Telstra Dome back then. Let's just say Docklands.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    oh come on, it would only have been 6yrs to the day that we beat the bummers 118-98 and Etihad, although it was probably the Telstra Dome back then. Let's just say Docklands.
    The stadium formerly known as Telstra.

Quote Originally Posted by Untamed Snark View Post
    The stadium formerly known as Telstra.
    ... or Colonial

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast