Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 22 V The Saints

Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    Actually, as a tap ruckman, Pyke is ahead of Seaby. As a resting forward, Pyke is ahead of Seaby. Around the ground, Seaby is well ahead of Pyke. If it were out of Pyke and Seaby for the first ruckman, I'd go Seaby. But Pyke has the versatility up forward to be the second ruckman, while still being very effective in the taps.
    I think Pyke's ahead of Seaby for the second ruck role. Seaby ahead if Mumford went down.

In general play they seem to have different roles though. It's been a while since I've seen either of them play, but Seaby would play as ruck traditionally does and go looking for touches, while Pyke played a kick behind play alot. Whether he was told to do that or just felt more comfortable there I don't know. But I can recall him taking quite a few marks in defense.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly View Post
    I was really pleased that Meredith was selected for Sunday's game, just as I have been pleased each time he's been promoted from reserves in the past. I was looking forward to seeing that he'd progressed into a player who could win the ball and influence games with big plays. But I still haven't seen it.

He has a big, accurate kick, and yes that's what we need. However, he doesn't win many possessions and isn't hard over the ball or in defence. Games seem to pass him by. The difference is that Lewis has the attributes to influence/change games. Frustratingly, he's inconsistent and yes, he's been given heaps of chances.

Career stats for Meredith and Jetta:

Meredith 15 games: ave disposals: 9.9; marks: 2.9; clearances: 0.7; tackles: 1.1; goals: 0.6
    Jetta 38 games: ave disposals: 11.7; marks: 3.1; clearances: 0.9; tackles: 2.2; goals: 0.4
    Do you have the stats for Jetta's first 15 games? I'm pretty sure the goal column would read 0.

Meredith has battled injuries, been in and out, but is class. Jetta has had every opportunity. I'm confident that if Meredith got to 38 games he would obliterate Jetta's stats.

In Longmire's post game he mentioned that he thought they had the quickest team they've fielded for a long time and specifically mentioned Meredith.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Regular in the Side
    Meredith TOG 50% 43 Dreamteam points
    Jetta TOG 73% 19 Dreamteam points

Meredith 1 game in team
    Jetta missed 1 game only for year

Which one would you drop?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    Do you have the stats for Jetta's first 15 games? I'm pretty sure the goal column would read 0.

Meredith has battled injuries, been in and out, but is class. Jetta has had every opportunity. I'm confident that if Meredith got to 38 games he would obliterate Jetta's stats.

In Longmire's post game he mentioned that he thought they had the quickest team they've fielded for a long time and specifically mentioned Meredith.
    Yes, I saw Longmire mention Meredith in that context and it surprised me a little. He doesn't look that quick and I haven't seen him run down many players.

I don't have the stats for Jetta's first game, but I do for his first 20 games, i.e entire 2010. Interestingly, he averaged 3.5 more possessions and almost double the number of marks and clearances last year compared to this year. More tackles this year. Here's a link.

Anyway, you've convinced me of your general point that Meredith deserves another chance. But I don't reckon he'd have too many more to convert that class into meaningful contributions.

What a year 2005 SSFC/CFC
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly View Post
    Yes, I saw Longmire mention Meredith in that context and it surprised me a little. He doesn't look that quick and I haven't seen him run down many players.

I don't have the stats for Jetta's first game, but I do for his first 20 games, i.e entire 2010. Interestingly, he averaged 3.5 more possessions and almost double the number of marks and clearances last year compared to this year. More tackles this year. Here's a link.

anyway, you've convinced me of your general point that Meredith deserves another chance. But I don't reckon he'd have too many more to convert that class into meaningful contributions.
    Many more chances...... he has hardly had any since he broke his arm...and at that time he was a rarity for us a young player who got in and held his place.......
    Sports do not build character. They reveal it....Heywood Broun

I always turn to the sports pages first, which record people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures......Earl Warren

I'm not long in from Melbourne (boy don't I know how to pick the games to travel to), too lazy to read the entire thread and still far to pee'd off to think rationally, but my current thoughts on changes are

Out - The entire bloody team including coaches

In - All the ressies including the toppies with Henry coaching.

Won't make the slightest bit of difference to the result and maybe they will play with a bit of heart unlike that rabble yesterday.

In: TDL, Bevan, Rohan, Seaby, Malceski
    Out: Kennelly, Jetta, McGlynn, Johnson, Meredith

LRT to the backline. Bevan to be played forward.

Will never happen though.

I am still staggered how badly they played on Sunday. The Adelaide game excepted, the more-or-less same players were a shadow of their usually effort. So, assuming the coaches can get some life back into the player group, it remains an issue of what the Team should be for the balance of this season.

Firstly, IMHO the key backs have stood up pretty well for most of the season - and I believe that the Richard, Grundy and AJ should remain the "talls" and Smith and Shaw the "smalls".

Secondly, run from the back has been ordinary this season; I would keep Mattner (+ Shaw). Kennelly should go out and Rohan rather than Malceski replace him for the balance of this year.

So that is 7 positions filled.

For "inside" mids, Kennedy, Bolton and Bird seem the best current options.
    For "outside" midfielders, Jack and Goodes both have that "it" factor; McVeigh and Hannebery have the credentials (and youth); I would like to see Merideth and Jetta get more games this year.

So that is another 9 positions; 16 overall.

Mumford is the No. 1 ruckman. I think it is too early for Pyke to come back for the St Kilda game, and I think it is too late to change up the whole structure of the team by bringing back Seaby. For the balance of this year, I would continue with LRT rather than White.

So, - and maybe this is a sad reflection of our whole approach this year - after 18 positions filled, 3 to go to to forwards (and a sub).

Reid is an obvious selection; I want to see DTL play as a goal kicker. LRT/Mumford is forward as the resting ruckman (already counted), with Parker (hopefully part of our future), and let?s get Gordon in as well for the pressure and the scrap

After all that it is OUT: Kennelly, McGlynn and O'Keefe.
    IN: Rohan, Gordon, and TDL.

I'd like to see....

Pyke as 2nd ruck/ FF
    LRT to FB
    Teddy to back pocket
    Smoocher into the midfield
    Parker to start in the midfield
    ROK and McVeigh as permanent HFF or FP
    Goodes mostly Midfield
    Kennelly, Jetta, McGlynn to the ressies
    Rohan to play anywhere in the firsts
    Mal onto the wing if fit.

and TDL to finally get fit enough to have an extended run in the firsts.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    I'd like to see....

Pyke as 2nd ruck/ FF
    LRT to FB
    Teddy to back pocket
    Smoocher into the midfield
    Parker to start in the midfield
    ROK and McVeigh as permanent HFF or FP
    Goodes mostly Midfield
    Kennelly, Jetta, McGlynn to the ressies
    Rohan to play anywhere in the firsts
    Mal onto the wing if fit.

and TDL to finally get fit enough to have an extended run in the firsts.
    I pretty much agree with all that , though I would like to see Nipper come in for a few consecutive games.
    Probably at Mals expense.
    And I'd keep McGlynn in as the sub.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

who is smoocher?

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    who is smoocher?
    Nick Smith.
    Superman still wears Brett Kirk Pyjamas

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast