Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Draft - Victims of our own success

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by robamiee View Post
    we should have gone after Andrew Walker last year when he wanbted out....
    Andrew Walker and Steve Johnson are both examples of players whose current club would have gladly offloaded them for a half-decent offer. There were huge question marks over Johnson's discipline and the long-term health of his ankles just a few years ago. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Doesn't this just tell us that unless you get picks 1-3 it really is an educated lottery ?

Quote Originally Posted by toothy76 View Post
    In addition, this is where our current list have come from:

Top 10 picks: McVeigh (5), Rohan (6), Bolton (8)
    11-20: Johnston (12), Jetta (14)21-30: Lamb (21), Meredith (26), LRT (29), Hannebery (30)
    31-40: Moore (31), Reid (38), Parker (40)
    41-50: Goodes (43), Currie (49)
    51-60: Sumner (54), TDL (55), O'Keefe (56), Johnson (57), Bird (59)
    61-70: Heath (61 - injured), Malceski (64)
    Others: Spangher (73), White (79), Pyke (101)
    Rookie/International: Jack, Kennelly, McKaigue, Grundy, Smith, Bevan, Kruger, Otten, Gordon, Haren, McNeil

Trades (original drafting): Everitt (11), Shaw (18 - FS), Seaby (22), Richards (27), Kennedy (40), Mattner (rookie 51), McGlynn (rookie 55), Mumford (rookie 57)
    Johnston and Jetta look like being duds too. To be fair to Barham he has picked some gems in later rounds of the draft but his record with the earlier picks it terrible.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    Johnston and Jetta look like being duds too. To be fair to Barham he has picked some gems in later rounds of the draft but his record with the earlier picks it terrible.
    Calling jetta a dud already is a bit harsh don't you think? Johnston has had a really bad run with injuries and as far as i am concerned once he gets a good run he could become a good player. I think both of those players are better then meredith aswell.

Jetta had a good year last year but has had second year blues. No reason he won't be better next year.

As for Johnston, his talent is unquestionable, and he has been signed for another 2 years for a reason. He's just had some very bad luck with injuries. Anybody that watches the reserves will confirm that if he gets some full preseasons under his belt and strings some games together, he'll be a success. It's just an unfortunately big "if".
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Regular in the Side
    Cyril is the one we all regret letting go in hindsight.

Personally I don't think we can afford to bottom out. have a look at the threads going round at the moment and we are still in the 8: sack the coach, how big will the crowd be, no leadership, and dump half the players.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by robamiee View Post
    we should have gone after Andrew Walker last year when he wanbted out....
    I hope we go after Taylor Walker this year..
    I saw enough Swans who were walkers yesterday. I want some who will run.

Quote Originally Posted by toothy76 View Post
    Ernie - the way I would look at it is that Collingwood and Geelong have had fewer picks over that period due to their success in that same time (such as we have), however Collingwood used the time in between their 02/03 grand finals and their 09/10 climb to use the draft. Geelong did the same.
    Teams with greater success have fewer picks. Of course. But otherwise, this is a classic example of cherry-picking and arguing by hindsight, sadly. There wasn't a pre-existing category of '7 years between GFs; how do you want to use them?' Collingwood made themselves a contender because they marshalled all of the resources at their disposal (those resources not including a glut of top 3 draft picks) and developed a middlingly-talented list into a sensationally disciplined and well-balanced team. All teams 'use the draft' to a lesser or greater extent. The team who used it most in the 2003-2009 period was surely Richmond.

Anyone who thinks that Collingwood would cease to be a top 2 side, if you took out Thomas, Pendlebury and Didak (indeed, they have done without Didak for much of the year) is living in fantasy land.

Geelong did exactly the opposite of draft-mining. Not one single top 6 pick in the list in this thread. Not one. They conducted a far-reaching inquiry into perceived failure at the club, in 2006?a year in which they barely missed the finals.

Using what we know of the history of the last 15 years to inform our behaviour going forward, there is absolutely no evidence for the proposition that Sydney will be a better team with a better chance of winning the flag in 2015, if we go 2-20 and finish last next year, rather than doing 'the usual' and finishing 5th to 8th.

Johnston and Jetta look like being duds too.....
    Given you think Bird is useless and a disgrace to the #14 and Spanger is the worst player to play senior level AFL, I doubt LJ and Jets will be too worried about your uninformed opinion....
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Blog Entries
    Carlton also lost 1 or 2 top 10 draft picks due to the salary cap breach. They would've had Goddard in their team now, so the saints benefitted big time from their @@@@ up.

Goddard and Wells were the two Carlton were going to take.
    From the two games I have seen I reckon that LJ will be a very, very good player....maybe not a superstar but in the company of Dawes, Lynch, etc....very good second KPF. Wonderful kick, good frame.
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Carlton also lost 1 or 2 top 10 draft picks due to the salary cap breach. They would've had Goddard in their team now, so the saints benefitted big time from their @@@@ up.
    Saints benefitted for sure, but so did Carlton. It made them even more crap and landed them priority picks.

AFL stuffed that up IMO, if they decided in their wisdom that the punishment fit the crime, they should have had enough foresight to also declare Carlton would not be eligible for the inevitable priority picks that would come Carltons way as a direct result of that very same punishment.

It had the effect of slowing down Carltons rise back up by a year or two, but when it happened, they are now extra rich in top 1, 2 and 3 picks thx to the 'punishment'...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast