Thread: Ducking the Head to Draw a Free

Thumbs down Ducking the Head to Draw a Free

We are seeing players delibrately ducking their heads into an opposition tackler to draw the free kick for high contact.

This is a dangerous development that puts the idiot player in serious danger equal to if the other player had gone high. (And it not fair to the opposition)

How should be controlled. We all know when they do it. Should there be a penalty against ducking - maybe ball up or free kick.

If the AFL is concerned about player safety this needs to be controlled

I made this comment on another forum earlier this year and it is only getting more prevalent. The rule designed to protect players is being abused and putting players at more risk of injury therefore a bad rule so change it. As it is similar to diving or faking just penalise them and it will soon stop

Quote Originally Posted by beameup View Post
    I made this comment on another forum earlier this year and it is only getting more prevalent. The rule designed to protect players is being abused and putting players at more risk of injury therefore a bad rule so change it. As it is similar to diving or faking just penalise them and it will soon stop
    Yep, pay a free kick that will stop it.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Senior Player
    I hate playing for frees. It reminds me of lesser sports, like that popular one they play around the world with a round ball.

That said, I think the better umpires are wise to ducking into the tackle. You often hear them shout "you ducked into it mate." And if the opposition player isn't moving much, they often let it go. I don't think it's much of a safety issue, since players rarely duck into it if they're going full-tilt.