Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627

Thread: Match Day Thread - Round 23 - Geelong

Personally, if I was playing I'd hate wearing a black armband. Bloody thing would be all sticky and annoying (not to mention how it would constrict my bulging biceps ). If I was an AFL player I'd probably opt not to wear one and pass on my condolences in private. But then, I'm a little bit obsessive-compulsive. It wouldn't surprise me if some players are like that though, especially given how superstitious some are.

Not that I think that would be why Dempster/Hall/Vesz/Barlow/any other ex Swans didn't wear one. Probably just didn't occur to them.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

They're not bad at all to wear armbands. If they get too annoying or anything at one of the breaks all you do is take it off, and tape around another spot.

Regular in the Side
    Anyone see Stokes kiss his armband when he kicked a goal for Geelong in the 2nd quarter?

Quote Originally Posted by Margie View Post
    Anyone see Stokes kiss his armband when he kicked a goal for Geelong in the 2nd quarter?
    One of his grandparents died. Apparently that's why the entire Geelong side were wearing black armbands. The armbands were probably for both McVeigh and Stokes, and some players wore two.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

John Longmire in his press conference acknowledged Geelong for approaching the Swans to offer their support and say that they would wear armbands in support for Jarrad.
    Superman still wears Brett Kirk Pyjamas

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    One of his grandparents died. Apparently that's why the entire Geelong side were wearing black armbands. The armbands were probably for both McVeigh and Stokes, and some players wore two.
    Thanks, that explains it. Thought it was an unusual gesture unless he knew Jarrad personally.

It does sound though (as per Kirkari's post) that Geelong were also wearing the armbands in support of the McVeighs.

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627