Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Today in history. 29th August

Ah yes the donuts! The only other donuts that came close were those at Arden street but it was only at the lake oval that the smell would waft over half the ground, mingle with the smell of Melbourne bitter and ciggies and send your head spinning. Great memories.

Glutton for punishment BigBarryRound25's Avatar
    I'm tearing up here guys. What a great privilege it is to be a swans supporter.

Re lakeside don't forget the peanuts - then it's off to Williamstown road to do it all again the following day. Go the mighty borough - they provided the only thing that was missing from being a bloods supporter, a regular victory.
    Silence is golden
    Duct tape is silver

Warming the Bench
    Yes I loved going to that ground as well, share all those same memories.

Does anyone else remember the Cockatoo that was kept in a cage outside, (I think it was the bar) it use to swear so badly

I remember my uncle taking me into the social club after the game, I got to meet all the champtions from both the clubs that were playing on the day.

Bob Skilton was my hero, he always would take time to have chats with me, I just loved him, we never had many victories at the time, but meeting him in the social club was always my highlight.

I also remember meeting Darrell Baldock, everytime I seen him, he use to always wear a trench coat.

Yes they were great memories
    Sydney Swans/SMFC "PREMIERS 2005"

GO SYDNEY SWANS

Warming the Bench
    That cockatoo was one of the reason my family got a cockatoo which I still have named Bob. If it was good enough for South to have one we had to have one to. What about the old drinking fountain in the members area with the lion heads as taps, the tunnels at the far end of the ground where the wind use to blow through causing havoc when shooting for goal, the bowling green on the members wing that was closed so that we could build a new grandstand like the one at Moorabbin only for the VFL to block the development of it.
    When they stopped playing football there I decided to get as many souvenirs as I could, I have the old line marker, signs from the scoreboard and from around the ground, fence palings, lights from the light towers and heaps of other stuff that were all just piled up to be taken to the tip. The one thing I tried to get right up until this year was a row of seats from the members stand that I wanted to set up around my BBQ area at home for some reason or another I wasn't able to get some which annoys me as I was told with all the redevelopment that is going on down there they had thrown them all down the tip.
    At the South Melbourne market there use to be someone selling paintings of the old ground featuring the members grandstand and the one that burnt down in 1962.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12