Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Today in history. 29th August

Today in history. 29th August

Thirty years ago, on this day.

Saturday the 29th August 1981, round 22 of the 1981 season was completed with South Melbourne losing to North Melbourne by 33 pts in front of just under 8,500 fans. The match was an insignificant game having no impact on the make up of the finals for that year. North would finish 8th and South would finish 9th. What was significant was it was the last time South Melbourne would play a home game at its Lake Oval base that had been its home for over 100 years.

The team that ran out that day contained names that would go on to become household names for the soon to be relocated club. Players such as David Ackerly, Mark Browning, Dennis Carroll, Silvio Foschini, Colin Hounsell, Paul Morwood, Ian Roberts, Barry Round, Brett Scott, Greg Smith, Stephen Wright.

From records only just under 8,500 attended this game. A somewhat underwhelming farewell to AFL football at the Lake Oval.

I wonder how different the crowd numbers would have been if the decision to relocate was made earlier and fans KNEW it would be their last chance to see the Swans at South.

As an aside, I always find it slightly amusing that the ground near the SCG that the Swans sometimes use for training is alled the Lakeside Oval. Was this always its name or did the name change as a result of a club initiative?

Quote Originally Posted by toothy76 View Post
    I wonder how different the crowd numbers would have been if the decision to relocate was made earlier and fans KNEW it would be their last chance to see the Swans at South.

As an aside, I always find it slightly amusing that the ground near the SCG that the Swans sometimes use for training is alled the Lakeside Oval. Was this always its name or did the name change as a result of a club initiative?
    I think it's official name is Moore Park East. But there is a lake. And an oval. BTW, there are now lights on it so the Academy players don't have to train in the dark next year!
    Superman still wears Brett Kirk Pyjamas

Blog Entries

Senior Player
    The Lake Oval Wikipedia page:

Lake Oval - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

states that the old stand is being refurbished as part of a sports institute. Any Melbourne people know anything more recent? Is this underway?

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    The Lake Oval Wikipedia page:

Lake Oval - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

states that the old stand is being refurbished as part of a sports institute. Any Melbourne people know anything more recent? Is this underway?
    http://www.majorprojects.vic.gov.au/...rts-facilities

There are pics here of the old grandstand......and current redevelopment

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar

In other Anniversary news

I think this year is the 130th anniversary of our 1st premiership
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    http://www.majorprojects.vic.gov.au/...rts-facilities

There are pics here of the old grandstand......and current redevelopment
    Thankyou Aardvark, they certainly look like they will be spruicing the old Grandstand up. The poor old Dame has been looking sad and sorry for many years. I can't believe it has been 30 years but I'm sure there are many people lurking on this site who remember playing kick to kick after the siren while the old ladies sat in that stand with their rugs and thermoses swapping scones and trying to get Harry Beitzel clearer on the tranny after a great afternoon of footy. With the sun going down over the city and a fresh breeze off the lake on a bright winters evening, there was nowhere better to be in the world. Lets hope they don't spruce it up too much and loose its charm.

Quote Originally Posted by chunksngravy View Post
    Thankyou Aardvark, they certainly look like they will be spruicing the old Grandstand up. The poor old Dame has been looking sad and sorry for many years. I can't believe it has been 30 years but I'm sure there are many people lurking on this site who remember playing kick to kick after the siren while the old ladies sat in that stand with their rugs and thermoses swapping scones and trying to get Harry Beitzel clearer on the tranny after a great afternoon of footy. With the sun going down over the city and a fresh breeze off the lake on a bright winters evening, there was nowhere better to be in the world. Lets hope they don't spruce it up too much and loose its charm.
    Ahh the memories. Used to love going out to the middle of the ground during the breaks and listed to the coaches speak to the players, then of to the rooms to get autographs from the players after the game. Loved that ground. Especially behind the goals at the Grandstand end. There wasn't a better place to be if South occassionally won a game.
    You Just Do Not Get a Better Grand Final Win Than That

Quote Originally Posted by Dooloo View Post
    Ahh the memories. Used to love going out to the middle of the ground during the breaks and listed to the coaches speak to the players, then of to the rooms to get autographs from the players after the game. Loved that ground. Especially behind the goals at the Grandstand end. There wasn't a better place to be if South occassionally won a game.
    It was the place I could be found every second Saturday afternoon during the winter. Loved being there. A sunny winters day, after South occassionally won a game, stick around to have a quick kick on the ground with dad. Snap a goal just like Bobby did during the afternoon. Into the rooms, to literally stare in awe at my heroes, then be lured by the smell of hot jam donuts to eat on the way home. Unfortunately they were a real treat because I only got them if we won!!! 6 of the suckers for $0.30c or some ridiculous price like that. Yep loved that ground and it has some fantastic memories for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    It was the place I could be found every second Saturday afternoon during the winter. Loved being there. A sunny winters day, after South occassionally won a game, stick around to have a quick kick on the ground with dad. Snap a goal just like Bobby did during the afternoon. Into the rooms, to literally stare in awe at my heroes, then be lured by the smell of hot jam donuts to eat on the way home. Unfortunately they were a real treat because I only got them if we won!!! 6 of the suckers for $0.30c or some ridiculous price like that. Yep loved that ground and it has some fantastic memories for me.
    Standing on the old steel beer cans (sometimes full of other liquid) so you could see the game and hot pies for 14 cents. Priceless !!

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    yeh those donuts from the caravan in the car park. How could I forget those. I was a bit more fortunate than you. My dad would buy us a bag of them even if we came close to a win. He didn't have the heart to make us wait for a victory. If that were the case I'd be lucky to get a donut at all.I still have the old footy records with signatures on them at home somewheres
    You Just Do Not Get a Better Grand Final Win Than That

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast