Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mumford vs Jolly - what did we lose/gain?

Living in 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Sydney and Roos have built a rep over the past 5-6 years as being fair and equitable at the trade table. I see no reason for that rep to change now with Horse.

It hasn't done us any harm so far, I don't believe we've been royally shafted by anybody yet, even the Schneids/Dempster deal was out of necessity.

What it will do is enable us to continually get the players we want because all clubs are willing to speak to us because they feel we have no hidden agenda. Somewhere down the line somebody is going to have a choice between dealing with us and another club and I believe our rep will make that club, whoever it may be, deal with Sydney because we play it fair...
    Agree in general principle, but I think we should have got pick 14 and 30, or pick 14 and a reasonable player from Collingwood. As I've already said, happy with how the world has panned out for us but I will always believe we didn't get anywhere near true value for Jolly.

I don't blame Collingwood for the deal. They had a right to play hard ball, and I'd want the Swans to use any leverage they had to get the best deal possible in the same position. I don't even mind the fact that Jolly left. His wife needed her family, and some things are more important. But Jolly had no particular reason to choose Collingwood. He wanted to go to Melbourne. Fine. There are heaps of Melbourne clubs, and they'd all have chased his signature. He could have even nominated just two. Collingwood and Hawthorn, for example. Just create a bit of a bidding war to ensure the Swans get good value.

But no, he forced us to deal with Collingwood and gave them all the leverage.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    It has occurred to me recently that I think we actually came out better with this deal than what it seemed at the time. What are your thoughts?
    We have missed him..... for about 0.2 seconds.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    We have missed him..... for about 0.2 seconds.
    True, I'd not undo the exchange for anything, but I still enjoy taking the opportunity to hurl some choice verbal abuse at him when he's on the tv screen, just for fun's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    We have missed him.....
    But only because we cannot kick straight

Veterans List
    We gained. Younger and different style ruckman who looks suited to the way the game is heading.

Don't get too concerned about the picks we got for Jolly, pick 14 was about what we gave Melbourne for him in 2004. Pick 14 and 47? was a fair trade from Collingwood, not great but about the right value. Who we picked with 14 was up to us and it may yet prove a good pick but the jury is out.

Hawthorn paid over the odds for Burgoyne, couldn't figure it out then and still can't.

I think we are seen by other clubs as good people to trade with, we are willing to pay and accept the right price and we get deals done early in trade week because of that. Most of the players we have traded in over the past 5-6 years have got here without pain or fanfare and got here early allowing us to avoid that 11th hour panic trading.

I think Everitt was the only player in the 11th hour category and look who we were having to deal with to get it done!

We've gained, but allowing your missus to dictate where you can play considering she knew what you did for a living when she married you is still crook in my book.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

I think we gained 6 or 7 years of a really good ruckman. Jolly will be long gone and Mumford will still be running around knocking blokes over, the rest is beside the point of trade deals and whatever
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by GongSwan View Post
    I think we gained 6 or 7 years of a really good ruckman. Jolly will be long gone and Mumford will still be running around knocking blokes over, the rest is beside the point of trade deals and whatever
    Inclined to agree.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12