Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: List changes this year

Do you think we might be running into some defensive problems now?

We took Spangher on as a defender and Gary was being earmarked as a taller, strong marking HB. Both those two are now forward.

LRT is 28 and nearing the last few years of his career with us. Teddy same age. Mattner is getting there as well. Rhyce is getting on as well. Tadhg retiring. I know Alex is coming along well but he is still young. Everitt seems to be average as a defender at best so far.

With Reg being ill and LRT out of the team it made our stocks look really thin.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Nich View Post
    Do you think we might be running into some defensive problems now?

We took Spangher on as a defender and Gary was being earmarked as a taller, strong marking HB. Both those two are now forward.

LRT is 28 and nearing the last few years of his career with us. Teddy same age. Mattner is getting there as well. Rhyce is getting on as well. Tadhg retiring. I know Alex is coming along well but he is still young. Everitt seems to be average as a defender at best so far.

With Reg being ill and LRT out of the team it made our stocks look really thin.
    I don't think we are at the moment, but now is the time to start planning (and drafting) for senior readiness in two or three years time. We could probably do with a classy, quick HBFer or two, and a small back pocket player to take over from Rhys when he hangs up the boots. I had hoped that Sumner might provide something in one of those roles. Maybe he still will.

Yeah hopefully Byron can. Time will tell. You're right though, for the time being we are cool but looking into the future the planning needs to be done as you say. I'm sure the Coaches are well aware of that though!!!

My money is that Sumner is gone. I'd slot Pyke in there somewhere.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Opti-pessi-misti
    It will be a shame if Uncle is gone.

What about Jets and TDL? It is a worry, the much vaunted Bloods culture of hard at the ball, and priority given to defense, defense and more defense. I wonder if they will ever fit in? Jets strikes me as a happy-go-lucky type, living very much in the moment and with his football right now looks to be totally confused. In that regard a bit like my past lost cause, Ed B!! You would have to say that they have both gone backwards during the course of this year and in comparison with where they were at last year. I just hope that their natural, instinctive trade-mark play, as well as their confidence survives and that the make-over is going to be possible. Maybe Jets is missing Uncle being around.

So where is L J sitting with all this?????? I imagine they will use him as a forward. Will he be traded back to S.A??

I think they were looking at Reid as CHB originally but you couldn't put him there now.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    He wouldn't be on that much so maybe GWS would take on his 2012 salary and package it up in a trade deal. If what reserves watchers say about his onfield leadership is on the money, then he may well be a handy cheaper pickup for them.
    I think it would be a very good move for both GWS and for Jarred. I am rather fond of the overgrown wombat and hold some remote possibility in my mind that he'll come back into the senior side and stick there for a couple of years- but I accept that's becoming ever more remote. At GWS he'd most likely play seniors all next season then still be well in the mix for the next 1-2 years after that.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

From what I have seen (although, it hasn't been much), I believe Campbell Heath will turn out to be very handy half back flanker. Although, needs a full pre-season and some luck with injuries.

I still have hopes for Lewis Johnson as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilcott View Post
    From what I have seen (although, it hasn't been much), I believe Campbell Heath will turn out to be very handy half back flanker. Although, needs a full pre-season and some luck with injuries.

I've seen plenty of both and your assessment is 100% on the money, imo.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

pr. dim-melb; m not f

And McKaigue?
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I like the look of LJ, I hope he gets games next year with the retirement of Tadgh, I'd hate to see him go back to Adelaide. And Campbell Heath can take over from Teddy in a couple of years.

Also I think Bev and Bulldog deserve to get some senior game time somewhere, they're just wasting away in the twos here. I think Bev would be a great fit at Melbourne, god knows that place needs some toughness, and Bulldog could be a respectable leader for the first winless years at GWS.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    I've seen plenty of both and your assessment is 100% on the money, imo.
    Absolutely. Was just heading to the end of the thread with my "Don't forget Campbell" and you beat me to it. He will be just fine.

We also have a Jed Lamb to include somewhere, and a harder nut will be hard to find (hmm....Luke of course, but I digress).
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast