Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: List changes this year

Veterans List

List changes this year

Yes I know it's not even finals time yet but Tadgh's retirement now has me thinking about what we'll do in trade week and in the painful delisting process.

We are already three down with the retirements of Craig Bolton, Tadgh and Bradshaw. I doubt there are any more retirements to come this year.

Interesting to read that this years draft is seen as shallow which is to be expected as GWS took a dozen of the best 17 year olds out of the pool last year. It is also compromised by the fact that you only get every 18th selection, not every 16th as in past years and GWS have 9 first round picks.

If we finish say 6th, we will have pick 21 which we will need to use to get Mitchell, then because of some compensation picks our next picks will be about 40/41, 58/59, 76/77. Not the kind of picks that enable you to do much in trade week.

Although we've had success with picks that far out in the past, this may not be the draft to be going with those picks.

So what is realistically likely to happen? Are there any rookie upgrades likely?

Veteran Site Admin
    I'd expect Gordon to be elevated.

On the Rookie List
    I think we should have minimal delistings considering there are already 3 spots available on the list. I agree gordon should be elevated.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Yes I know it's not even finals time yet but Tadgh's retirement now has me thinking about what we'll do in trade week and in the painful delisting process.

We are already three down with the retirements of Craig Bolton, Tadgh and Bradshaw. I doubt there are any more retirements to come this year.

Interesting to read that this years draft is seen as shallow which is to be expected as GWS took a dozen of the best 17 year olds out of the pool last year. It is also compromised by the fact that you only get every 18th selection, not every 16th as in past years and GWS have 9 first round picks.

If we finish say 6th, we will have pick 21 which we will need to use to get Mitchell, then because of some compensation picks our next picks will be about 40/41, 58/59, 76/77. Not the kind of picks that enable you to do much in trade week.

Although we've had success with picks that far out in the past, this may not be the draft to be going with those picks.

So what is realistically likely to happen? Are there any rookie upgrades likely?
    Your second last line. That gets said by "the experts" every year and it is always incorrect. There is always plenty of players who surprise. Alex Johnson is a good example.

Every year rookies come out of nowhere. There are some very good recuiting managers out there who have the knack of finding some real gems. A can't believe we have picked up a ready made of the calibre of Luke Parker in 2010 draft.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    It looks like Moore's cards are marked - on fire in the reserves in the past 2 months but not an emergency once. I also don't expect Bevan to stick around, whether he is delisted, signed by GWS or traded to another club he won't be a Swan in 2012. And let's pray that GWS haven't managed to snaffle any other players.

So that's at least 5 spots (before trades) to fill, with Mitchell already confirmed that's 4 live picks. In terms of rookies Gordon will definitely be elevated, McNeil is the only other possibility I see at this stage. He looks to have improved his spread and run to complement his excellent inside work and the Swans may see more sense in having him on the senior list rather drafting a 18 year old.

The other rookies:
    McKaigue - the reserves' defence has been miserly all year, no doubt in large part protected by the dominance of the midfield but also due to the great work done by McKaigue, Heath, Johnston and co. His defensive capabilities have improved, now they need to work on his offensive stuff. Keep for another year (if he wants to hang around for another year, even though Tadhg won't be a player next year it looks like he'll still be in Sydney in some capacity)
    Kruger - still very raw and was always going to be a long term project so it wouldn't make much sense to cut him after just one year.
    Otten - hasn't missed a game but hasn't registered in the best list once this year.
    Haren - showed promising signs at the start of the year but has been missing with some mysterious injury that the Swans haven't disclosed (There was an interview with Jed Lamb where he mentioned how at the start of his recovery there were plenty of Swans in the rehab 'dungeon' but by the end it was just him and Haren). Keep for another year to see what he has.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by msb View Post
    I think we should have minimal delistings considering there are already 3 spots available on the list. I agree gordon should be elevated.
    I expect we will try to trade for an out of contract player or 2 and will delist a few regardless. There is always a need to refresh the list with young players.

Tadhg, Bradhaw and Craig obviously all gone and I'd expect Bevo and Moore to be gone as well for greater opportunities elsewhere.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Seaby held on to as depth but then also wouldn't be surprised to see us try and get something for him while he still has currency.

How quickly we forget, but you can probably add Sumner to that retirement list.

Does Currie survive another year on the list?

So we have:

1. C. Bolton;
    2. Bradshaw;
    3. Kennelly;
    4. Sumner;
    5. Moore;
    6. Bevan;
    7. Currie

To that list you can possibly add Seaby and TDL as a trade.

The first 4 on list are gone, next 2 likely and the rest is anyone's guess.

I've ignored the rookies because that is a seperate issue.

At least our first draft pick will be of very high quality and that just leaves 2 others.

You'd think the Swans would be active in trading again because of list improvement to capitalise on this year.
    Last edited by Bas; 2nd September 2011 at 11:53 AM.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

One of Seaby or Currie would be retained I imagine. Unless we get a young ruckman in the draft to develop. We'd get nothing for Currie on the trade market but unless we can get something of value for Seaby, I reckon they'll hang onto him (Seaby I mean).

I think TDL will be retained and doesn't sound good if Sumner is still in SA so yeh I imagine he's gone.
    Last edited by S120; 2nd September 2011 at 12:04 PM.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Ah I forgot about poor Dan. I think he's out of contract and if so, I don't see the point in handing him another one. 5 years in and apparently still not physically ready for AFL football, plus he's been troubled significantly by this foot complaint in the past couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
    How quickly we forget, but you can probably add Sumner to that retirement list.
    That's one I've missed, although I've noted his absence of late. What happened?
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    That's one I've missed, although I've noted his absence of late. What happened?
    He took indefinite leave for personal reasons and headed back to SA
    http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226097066452

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast