Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Second Semi Final: Sydney Swans Reserves v Ainslie Tricolours

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Red face Second Semi Final: Sydney Swans Reserves v Ainslie Tricolours

NEAFL Second Semi Final
    Sydney Swans Reserves v Ainslie Tricolours
    Saturday 3rd September 2011 2.00pm
    Manuka Oval

Finals time arrives one week earlier for the Reserves. The top two teams of the Eastern Conference clash off for the right to go straight into the grand final in a fortnight's time, the loser meeting the winner of the first semi final between GWS and Eastlake. The Reserves haven't won a Canberra final in 3 years, bowing out in straight sets last year and missing out on the Top 4 in 2009. The last victorious finals game was the dramatic grand final of 2008 when rookie Matt Beckmans kicked the winning behind after the siren.

Although last year's finals campaign was severely hampered by a big injury list, this year's is much smaller and the team has a formidable look about it. In fact, fit and available players look to have been omitted due to the restrictions in place for the finals.

Final Eastern Conference Ladder
    TeamPlayedWinsLossesDrawsByes%WonForAgainstPercentage
    Reserves181620288.89%2204983224.21%
    Ainslie171340376.47%17401375126.55%
    GWS171250370.59%17241465117.68%
    Eastlake177100341.18%1563158998.36%
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tuggeranong175120329.41%1435210168.30%
    Queanbeyan174130323.53%1412193076.16%
    Belconnen172150311.76%1142198357.59%

Past Meetings
    R9 Ainslie 11.8 (74) defeated by Reserves 18.16 (124) @ Newcastle Number 1 Sportsground
    Trent Dennis-Lane kicked another bag of goals as the blonde trio of Heath, Bevan and Kruger starred.

Goals: Dennis-Lane 6, Bevan 3, Meredith 2, Norton 2, McNeil 2, Gordon 2, Brain
    Best: Heath, Bevan, Kruger, Meredith, Sumner, Currie

---------------------------------------------------

R22 Reserves 16.14 (110) defeated Ainslie 14.2 (86) @ Manuka Oval
    A controlled display by the Reserves who led all day but were kept honest by Ainslie's accurate and efficient conversion (can we hire their kicking coach please?). Dennis-Lane led the goalkicking again for the Swans who have been superbly marshalled by nuggety half-forward Jarred Moore in the past 2 months. Marcus Crook was Ainslie's best with 5 goals.

Goals: Dennis-Lane 4, Moore 3, Pini 3, Bevan 2, Heath, Seaby, Pyke, Potter
    Best: Moore, Kruger, Meredith, McNeil, Gordon, Murphy

R3 Reserves 21.19 (145) defeated Ainslie 15.12 (102) @ Sydney Cricket Ground
    Patty Veszpremi kicked 5 and Lewis Johnston and Trent Dennis-Lane 4 each as the Reserves overturned a 21 point half time deficit to win comfortably by 43 points. Dylan McNeil and Mike Pyke were the Swans' best players.

Goals: Veszpremi 5, Johnston 4, Dennis-Lane 4, Playfair 3, Rohan 2, Barlow 2, Currie
    Best: McNeil, Pyke, Currie, Veszpremi, O'Dwyer, Johnston

R7 Ainslie 6.14 (50) drew with Reserves 7.8 (50) @ Ainslie Oval
    A low-scoring affair in tough conditions. A few in-game injuries allowed Ainslie to come back in the last quarter and take away 2 points. Brett Meredith kicked 3 in a best on ground performance, Daniel Currie was superb rucking the whole game and Ed Barlow provided drive from the half-back line

Goals: Meredith 3, Bird, Thornton, Johnston, McKaigue
    Best: Meredith, Currie, Barlow, Thornton, Veszpremi, McKaigue

R13 Ainslie 18.12 (120) defeated Reserves 7.11 (53) @ Ainslie Oval
    Ainslie handed the Reserves their biggest loss of the year. The 12 listed players battled manfully in the first half to trail by 9 points. However they struggled in the second half allowing Ainslie to kick away with a 12 goals to 3 second half. Lewis Johnston was the only multiple goalkicker for the Swans with 2. The Swans only named 3 in the their best players - Sam Reid, Nathan Gordon and Dylan McNeil

Goals: Johnston 2, McNeil, May, Smith, Sumner, Campbell
    Best: Reid, Gordon, McNeil

R17 Reserves 9.7 (61) defeated by Ainslie 12.11 (83) @ Sydney Cricket Ground
    Just 9 listed players participated and they put on a strong defensive showing, restricting Ainslie to only 6 goals at three quarter time. However, Ainslie kicked another 6 in the last quarter to pull away quite comfortably. Tall forwards Sam Reid and Lewis Johnston kicked 3 each. Reid, Nathan Gordon and Dylan McNeil were adjudged to be the better Swans.

Goals: Reid 3, Johnston 3, Emery, O'Dwyer, McNeil
    Best: Reid, Gordon, O'Dwyer, McNeil, Linsen

Semi Final 2 Ainslie 9.11 (65) defeated Reserves 3.7 (25) @ Manuka Oval
    On a rain-soaked Manuka Oval, the return of classy players Patty Veszpremi and Kristin Thornton were not enough to propel the Reserves into the Grand Final. Daniel Bradshaw kicked 2 goals and Lewis Johnston 1 as Ainslie's forward line coped much better with the downpour. Thornton was the best Swan in his comeback from injury, getting good support from the hardworking Daniel Currie and Byron Sumner.

Goals: Bradshaw 2, Johnston
    Best: Thornton, Currie, Sumner, Farrell, Gordon

Recent Form
    Reserves
    R1 BYE
    R2 WIN Away Eastlake 83-33
    R3 WIN Home Belconnen 138-29
    R4 BYE
    R5 WIN Home Tuggeranong 123-12
    R6 WIN Away GWS 87-27
    R7 WIN Home Gold Coast Reserves 120-28
    R8 BYE
    R9 WIN Away Ainslie 124-74
    R10 WIN Away Brisbane Reserves 104-97
    R11 WIN Home Queanbeyan 102-53
    R12 WIN Away GWS 115-29
    R13 WIN Home Queanbeyan 220-32
    R14 WIN Away Tuggeranong 212-57
    R15 LOSS Away Gold Coast Reserves 62-141
    R16 WIN Home Eastlake 101-81
    R17 LOSS Home GWS Giants 57-121
    R18 BYE
    R19 WIN Away Belconnen 117-17
    R20 WIN Away Queanbeyan 150-37
    R21 WIN Home Brisbane Reserves 179-29
    R22 WIN Away Ainslie 110-86

Ainslie
    R1 BYE
    R2 LOSS Away GWS 68-109
    R3 BYE
    R4 BYE
    R5 WIN Home Queanbeyan 136-65
    R6 WIN Away Tuggeranong 103-86
    R7 WIN Away Eastlake 94-57
    R8 WIN Away Belconnen 78-52
    R9 LOSS Home Sydney Reserves 74-124
    R10 BYE
    R11 WIN Home Tuggeranong 147-62
    R12 WIN Home Belconnen 104-65
    R13 LOSS Home Southport 67-131
    R14 WIN Away Labrador 115-89
    R15 WIN Home Tuggeranong 94-88
    R16 WIN Away Queanbeyan 95-62
    R17 WIN Away Eastlake 133-72
    R18 WIN Away Belconnen 112-47
    R19 BYE
    R20 WIN Away Eastlake 125-72
    R21 WIN Away Queanbeyan 109-84
    R22 LOSS Home Sydney Reserves 86-110

Last Round
    See R22 matchup above

Team List
    Listed players
    #NameGamesGoalsVotesNotes
    1Mark SEABY11823 
    7Brett MEREDITH121620 
    8Trent DENNIS-LANE13659 
    9Nick MALCESKI221Senior emergency
    11Jed LAMB757 
    13Andrejs EVERITT350 
    30Lewis ROBERTS-THOMSON312 
    32Lewis JETTA200Senior emergency
    33Jarred MOORE152251 
    35Campbell HEATH12614 
    38Mike PYKE577 
    42Paul BEVAN101525Senior emergency
    45Nathan GORDON143441 
    Changes
    In: Meredith (senior demotion), Malceski (injury), Everitt (injury), Roberts-Thomson (injury), Gordon (non playing senior emergency)
    Out: Dylan McNeil (?), Chris McKaigue (?), Eugene Kruger (?), Max Otten (?)

It looks like the 4 omissions have been left out due to the list restrictions in place (13 listed players in total). If so I feel very sorry for them as they've played the majority of the games this year and deserve to play in the finals. In particular, the two Maccas, McNeil and McKaigue have been key members of this side and it is a little weird to see them not in the side. However, I cannot disagree with any of the 13 selections made and hopefully there is some rotation system in place so that they do get to play in the next final.

The first thing to note is the height of the side. LRT and Everitt bring more attacking options to an already potent forward line that contains TDL, Moore, Gordon and the resting ruckman in Pyke/Seaby. However, with the exclusions of McKaigue and Otten, it is likely one or more of those talls will have to play in defence to assist Heath and Malceski.

In the midfield, McNeil's exclusion will be significant but hopefully will be offset by the return of Brett Meredith. Along with Jed Lamb who has been impressive in an on-ball role, the midfield might see a rotation through the likes of Jetta, Gordon, Bevan, Malceski, Moore, topups Murphy and Potter and maybe even TDL.

Academy Players/Topups
    #NameGamesGoalsVotesNotes
    47Jackson POTTER936 
    48Blake GUTHRIE1220 
    49Nathan KENNY1400 
    51Jack LYNCH710 
    53Kane MURPHY131714 
    54Tim WALES1310 
    ?Mitch CRAWFORD500 
    ?Mitch MAY310 
    ?Andrew MOODY1130 
    ?Stephen WRAY900 
    Changes
    In: Lynch, Murphy, Wales, Wray
    Out: Tom Green, Aidan Pini, Bryce McEvoy

Murphy is a big in for us, he can play both forward and midfield and is a noted goalkicker. Wales and Lynch will probably line up in defence.

Reserves leading goalkickers

• Trent Dennis-Lane 65
    • Nathan Gordon 34
    • Jarred Moore 22

For full list: 2011 Leading goalkickers - RWOwiki

Reserves leading votegetters

• Jarred Moore 51
    • Nathan Gordon 41
    • Dylan McNeil 29

For full list: 2011 Best votes - RWOwiki

Talking points
    • Close eyes will be kept on the likes of injury returnees Malceski, Everitt and LRT as well as the form of fringe players Seaby, Meredith, TDL, Jetta and Gordon should any injuries occur in the seniors. (touch wood).
    • Where will LRT play given there are other 2 genuine ruckmen in this team?
    • Can Jetta do enough to reclaim his spot in the side for the finals?
    • Will Playfair be coaching at this game, or will he be relaying instructions from the sideline at the SCG? Ditto Maxfield and his running. If so, who will be coaching in his stead?

Ainslie squad (3 to be omitted)

• 2. John HOLMES
    • 3. Nicholas PAINE
    • 4. Marcus CROOK
    • 5. Ben HUGHES
    • 6. Jason FLEMING
    • 7. Michael LAWLESS
    • 8. Ian LAWLESS
    • 9. Ash HARRIS
    • 10. Jesse GRIFFIN
    • 11. Dale WALKER
    • 12. Rob SHIRLEY
    • 14. Michael GHOBRIAL
    • 15. Robert TUOHEY
    • 17. Dale ARGALL
    • 20. Ryan TUTT
    • 22. Ben PERRY
    • 23. David LOVE
    • 26. Eric STONE
    • 28. Damien BOWLES
    • 32. Lachlan CARTER
    • 35. Lachlan CROOK
    • 38. Mitch MULRONEY
    • 41. Lachlan HIGHFIELD
    • 44. Aaron VANDENBERG
    • 48. David TOW
    • 49. Kane MORRIS
    • 53. Clint MATHIS

In: Fleming, Morris, Paine, Tuohey, Vandenberg
    Out: Rowan Andrews, Jackson Kew, Daniel McFarlane, Andrew Mathis

Forward Nick Paine's return is offset by the loss of giant ruckman Rowan Andrews. Marcus Crook kicked 5 last week and Ben Hughes is the other danger forward to cover.

Summary
    This should be a great hitout if last week's corresponding is an accurate guide. The Swans have brought in a lot more AFL experience for this week's game but possibly at the expense of team cohesion. The Swans should win given this edge, but given that the loser has to play the following week, I suspect the coaches wouldn't be too unhappy if the Swans did manage to lose this one.

Wonderful taster for the weekend Uggster! Re: talking points - Jetta has been promoted to 1's off the emerg list for REIDY (don't know why). I am totally bemused by him being named emerg let alone the 1's promotion $#@*&! LRT: I suggest will go back to his old stomping ground and sure up the back line, and possibly rotate thru rucks if there is a disaster. Coaches: well who knows, the call might have to go out to emerg ass coach BIGGUS AL to step up to the plate (shorts n all) ?? Surely for a reasonably important match like this Crouchy needs some back-up ? The omissions - well I do feel for Dill, he has been the rock in the middle, hard trench like performances every week. Lets just hope the theory is a weeks rest for a niggle or knock and straight back in to finish off a very solid year. What worries me about dropping players that have become extremely regular is it can upset the routine. Lets hope this doesn't occur with the 4 unlucky players. Note: the difference between finals campaign this year as opposed to the last couple of years will be the added experience of the toppies/acad kids = just look at the amount of games they have racked up, BIG plus! UGG: true or false - East winner v North winner @ Alice Springs for Champion of champions ?????

Thanks for the inside word grose. If Jetta is that lucky, it opens up a spot and probably means Dill gets a reprieve.

I have no idea to the Alice Springs question. A bit presumptuous to think the NT Thunder are going to win the Norther Conference, isn't it?

Veteran Site Admin
    Given the list you've provided, Ugg, includes all three senior emergencies, you'd expect one other spot to open up too. Surely they will keep one emergency back in Sydney? McNeil definitely deserves a spot if he is fit, and is a pretty key part of the midfield too. There were times when the squad had a high injury list that he carried the reserves midfield almost on his own.

I'm really annoyed that I can't be at this game and help Crouchy with the side. I know deep deep deep deep down that Crouchy knows who got the reserves over the line last week.

McNeal was knocked out last week so I'm not surprised he isn't playing. McKaigue may have been suspended from last week. Was one of our best last week so i'd be concerned if he was just dropped. Otten and Kruger i would say have made way for the returning players.

Hard to see if the midfield gets on top how Ainslie will restrict the likes of TDL and Nipper from kicking a winning score. Especially if Pyke and Seaby can dominate around the ground like they did last week. Also if Jed Lamb is on song the forward line will get plenty of opportunities.

Tip: Swans by 38
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Thanks for the inside word grose. If Jetta is that lucky, it opens up a spot and probably means Dill gets a reprieve.

I have no idea to the Alice Springs question. A bit presumptuous to think the NT Thunder are going to win the Norther Conference, isn't it?
    NT Thunder play out of Darwin don't they?? Why play it in Alice Springs (Do they even have grass there).

It should be played on a good neutral ground like the SCG or BOP.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

You would think so liz, but they usually name an extended bench to cover for this but haven't done so for this weekend so I'm just assuming that one of the emergencies will just drop out with no replacement. It seems they played with just 21 players last week when Tadhg was the late in for Malceski.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    McNeal was knocked out last week so I'm not surprised he isn't playing. McKaigue may have been suspended from last week. Was one of our best last week so i'd be concerned if he was just dropped. Otten and Kruger i would say have made way for the returning players.

Tip: Swans by 38
    Good points about McNeil and McKaigue, that would make more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    NT Thunder play out of Darwin don't they?? Why play it in Alice Springs (Do they even have grass there).
    They have plenty. Except it's not the type you run on.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
    They have plenty. Except it's not the type you run on.
    Let's not bring up Byron again, the other thread ended in tantrums and tears....
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post

Just a rumour - and yes Broadbeach still have a huge chance of taking it out. I could handle a weekend away on the GCoast and Metricon. Or am I jumping the gun re: red & white taking out Eastern?
    Notice Brain not in the mix, is he injured or on duty with Syd Uni I'm wondering. Question: what are the chances of Kaine Murphy and father-son-rule?

Brain not named for Sydney U. I'm a little surprised they allowed Murphy to play for us instead for htme in their semi against North Shore.

No need to invoke FS rule on Murphy, we can pick him up as a Academy player.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast