Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Who is the "form" team going into the finals .... ?

Apart from the Swans, I'd love to see West Coast win.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Here you go, a few more to clutch at...

Attachment 450
    He he,nice try! Unfortunately facts have a way of winning arguments over unsubstantiated opinion and "rocket surgery". Hilarious though! I supplied two factual examples to back my arguments.you supplied straws.That pretty well sums it up.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
    It's not what the Dogs did to remove Eade;

Nor is it a story for an Astro Boy episode;

A Joh Bjelke Peterson moment? Possibly ; But

I think Triple B meant "Rocket Science". Sounds like he's going through Powerade withdrawal. Has seriously affected me this past few weeks.

Now that would make an interesting House story.
    I'm sure he meant rocket surgery.

And yes, following the preseason all the training loads change - and get lighter in the last few weeks of the year leading into the finals.
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Quote Originally Posted by Hartijon View Post
    He he,nice try! Unfortunately facts have a way of winning arguments over unsubstantiated opinion and "rocket surgery". Hilarious though! I supplied two factual examples to back my arguments.you supplied straws.That pretty well sums it up.
    An account of 1 training session doesn't prove in my view that overall training intensity has increased. It could be that is normal intensity for that particular session.

The Geelong story was about a training session during bye week. My understanding is that clubs during the bye do a session that simulates game intensity to keep the players sharp.

It doesn't seem logical to me to increase training intensity overall before finals. Still, I don't attend training at these AFL clubs so only those of us who attend all the time would know what they do.
    Last edited by Big Al; 8th September 2011 at 08:40 AM.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    How are you travelling mate? Im bloody knackered Horse.
    Ok, go and have a surf at Bondi and go home.
    What about you sunshine.
    REARIN TO GO BOSS.
    OK. Do all 20 drills. Spend an hour in the gym and come back out to do 40 mins of goal shooting practice.
    Surely it comes down to each players current condition.
    "He was proud of us when we won and he was still proud of us when we lost' Tami Roos about Paul Sept 06.

Quote Originally Posted by hot potato View Post
    How are you travelling mate? Im bloody knackered Horse.
    Ok, go and have a surf at Bondi and go home.
    What about you sunshine.
    REARIN TO GO BOSS.
    OK. Do all 20 drills. Spend an hour in the gym and come back out to do 40 mins of goal shooting practice.
    Surely it comes down to each players current condition.
    I have no idea at all on what they do this time of year, but your theory sounds the most logical to me Spuds!

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    ....your theory sounds the most logical to me Spuds!
    Except the bit about the goal kicking practice. Pure fantasy...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Except the bit about the goal kicking practice. Pure fantasy...
    True that.

On the Rookie List

What some experts say.

By Dr Michael McCoy and Dr Noel Duncan from fitness2live.com.au - an online health and wellbeing service for corporate and public organisations and training support for elite sporting bodies.

Mike: Conditioning, rehabilitation and nutrition co-ordinator with Richmond FC then Melbourne FC, from 1992-99. Noel: Conditioning, rehabilitation and nutrition co-ordinator with Collingwood FC then Richmond FC, from 1997-2004

It is common practice for AFL teams to increase their volume of work in the month leading up to the finals. This then allows a tapering period as the finals arrive. Controlling everything is impossible. But a team's long-term training program is an essential component of preparation that can, and should be, controlled. In the following section we will outline some specific training methods to allow you to hit peak performance at the right time.

1.Training to optimise performance between now and the end of the home and away season.
    2.Training to optimise performance between now and the end of the home and away season, but still have enough in the tank to perform in September.
    3.Training for optimum performance in September.
    1. Training to optimise performance between now and the end of August
    Increasing the volume of work by 25-30% for 2-3 weeks will ensure your players are in peak physical condition. It is important to perform this work early in the week to allow adequate recovery before the next game. The increase in workload can be skill based training but can also include cross training such as swimming, water running, boxing and cycling.

2. Training to optimise performance between now and the end of August but leaving enough in the tank to perform in September
    Winning games late in the season will have an enormous impact on your position on the ladder. As a result, managing the increased workload is critical. There are a number of options which you can choose from:

?Don?t worry about increasing the volume of work. Bank on the fact the maintenance training programs, combined with games, will adequately maintain fitness levels
    ?Identify the players who have been injured or play at the ends of the ground and increase the volume of work for these players
    ?Reduce the period of heavy training from three weeks down to 10 days
    Whatever choice you make, increasing the players' workloads will need to be matched with an increase in recovery techniques.

3. Training for optimum performance in September
    Tapering is an important part of the training process. During the taper phase the volume of training is reduced by as much as 70 per cent. While the volume of training is reduced, the intensity of the sessions remains high. The major benefits resulting from a reduction in training volume include:

?Increases in the body?s energy reserves (muscle glycogen)
    ?Increases in speed and power
    ?Increases in co-ordination and agility (neural control)
    ?Improved state of mind and mental focus

When is now?

July, April, January?
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234