Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Malcom Blight's Coaching Comments

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    On the Rookie List

Malcom Blight's Coaching Comments

Does anyone else who gets Blight as a commentator get sick to death of his coaching comments.Instead of praising Reids great marking ability we get a involved comment on why he misses goals and what he should do. Go back to coaching Malcolm ,commentating should be on the action of the game.Its not that his comments are wrong its just inapropriate when your player has just missed another goal .

Warming the Bench
    Disagree 100%
    Blight was a great coach and a brilliant player
    His comments are different from some boring others ( I can't stand Hudson) who repeat theselves and state the obvious
    He has identified a problem and provided a solution

His unusual and direct statements are good
    September 24th, 2005 5.14pm
    What a great moment in all of our lives

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    Disagree 100%
    Blight was a great coach and a brilliant player
    His comments are different from some boring others ( I can't stand Hudson) who repeat theselves and state the obvious
    He has identified a problem and provided a solution

His unusual and direct statements are good
    What I like about Blight is he talks about the finer points of footy. I like his 3 goal theory. That is; if you are 3 goals down with plenty of time on the clock you are still in the game regardless of the circumstances. You are still a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    What I like about Blight is he talks about the finer points of footy. I like his 3 goal theory. That is; if you are 3 goals down with plenty of time on the clock you are still in the game regardless of the circumstances. You are still a chance.
    That's not my understanding of Blight's 3 goal rule.

My understanding is when you are getting towelled, but there is still a way to go, don't focus on the enormity of having to come back form 30/40/50 points behind. Just concentrate on kicking the next 3 goals. At that point you re-assess and more than likely invoke the 3 goal rule again. It's all about not trying to play unrealistically to make up a large deficit which will be counter productive to scoring in 90% of cases.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    That's not my understanding of Blight's 3 goal rule.

My understanding is when you are getting towelled, but there is still a way to go, don't focus on the enormity of having to come back form 30/40/50 points behind. Just concentrate on kicking the next 3 goals. At that point you re-assess and more than likely invoke the 3 goal rule again. It's all about not trying to play unrealistically to make up a large deficit which will be counter productive to scoring in 90% of cases.
    Actually his rule is that it not unusual for a team to kick three goals in a row, and to do so reasonably quickly, so that until you are substantially outside that margin the losing team is always a chance to come back into it.

Fwiw I like his approach to htb which I think is that merely by diving on the ball or dragging it in you are not htb you are actually getting it. However the rest of the footy world seems to take the view that the rule reduces stoppages and is therefore a good rule.mi hate the way it penalizes the guy first to the ball and rewards the player second to it. But what would I know.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbournehammer View Post
    Actually his rule is that it not unusual for a team to kick three goals in a row, and to do so reasonably quickly, so that until you are substantially outside that margin the losing team is always a chance to come back into it.

Fwiw I like his approach to htb which I think is that merely by diving on the ball or dragging it in you are not htb you are actually getting it. However the rest of the footy world seems to take the view that the rule reduces stoppages and is therefore a good rule.mi hate the way it penalizes the guy first to the ball and rewards the player second to it. But what would I know.
    I watched a final in the Yarra Valley Mountain District league last week. When a player went to ground and a pack formed, in most cases they blew the whistle quickly, moved in quickly and threw it up. The game flowed really well and it made the players accountable and on the ball. In the AFL most times the opposition player is holding the ball in or 2 or 3 of them pile on to the bloke who went for the footy. So many times there is contact with the head by knees, arms, elbows, you name it and the poor bugger who made the ball his objective is pinged.

Must admit because of the mindless dribble from most of the "special comments" people (Roos is the exception) I like Blight's unique take on things. He's not everyone's cup of tea I realise but I don't mind him. As for Lloyd and Lane last night, I don't think the swear filter could cope with my thoughts on those 2 so I will refrain from commenting.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    As for Lloyd and Lane last night, I don't think the swear filter could cope with my thoughts on those 2 so I will refrain from commenting.
    I was still getting over spending the afternoon listening to Quarterbrain and Robert Balls call the pies/eagles game. God knows why I kept the volume up.

What a year 2005 SSFC/CFC
    Blight was indeed a great player I cannot accept he is a good commentator, I also remember 2005 when he never had a good word to say about us and tipped against us every week. A point I reminded him of when I met him after the GF that year, politely but firmly! On Walls he sank to new depths yesterday when he opined " isn't it ...... when Collingwood get possession of the ball how they all swarm forward".....dooohhhhhh...just WHAT has he been watching, he gets paid to make comments like that?
    Sports do not build character. They reveal it....Heywood Broun

I always turn to the sports pages first, which record people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures......Earl Warren

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Must admit because of the mindless dribble from most of the "special comments" people (Roos is the exception) I like Blight's unique take on things. He's not everyone's cup of tea I realise but I don't mind him. As for Lloyd and Lane last night, I don't think the swear filter could cope with my thoughts on those 2 so I will refrain from commenting.
    I actually thought that Lane was really glowing in his comments on the young age of the Swans list during the game.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

I disagree 100% as well. Blight has identified how to fix Reid's problem. He is spot on. I really like Blights insights, refreshing after the dribble of others.

On a slight tangent, I heard Wall's commentating on the radio the other week. He was great, way better than when he makes special comments on 10.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Senior Player
    Big of fan of Mal Blight , mainly cos he's outspoken and honest.

I even like Brian Taylor , who talks some rubbish but calls the game with the wide-eyed wonder of a 14-year-old kid.

You can't fault Gerard Healey for his knowledge , but his style is rather dull.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast