Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Malcom Blight's Coaching Comments

You reckon the AFL commentators are bad.....I am watching The Storm NRL game. The commentators are more interested in the seagullls than the game.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    What I like about Blight is he talks about the finer points of footy. I like his 3 goal theory. That is; if you are 3 goals down with plenty of time on the clock you are still in the game regardless of the circumstances. You are still a chance.
    That's not my understanding of Blight's 3 goal rule.

My understanding is when you are getting towelled, but there is still a way to go, don't focus on the enormity of having to come back form 30/40/50 points behind. Just concentrate on kicking the next 3 goals. At that point you re-assess and more than likely invoke the 3 goal rule again. It's all about not trying to play unrealistically to make up a large deficit which will be counter productive to scoring in 90% of cases.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Lloyd is far and away worst commentator on tv. Please please please I hope he is ignored by Seven and Fox next year.

His stating of the bleeding obvious is soooo helpful to viewer's the understanding of the game! And they pay him for such pearls!!

Blighty is at least funny and adds to the broadcast - when he lets his frustrations out is his best work and I reckon would echo what most viewers are thinking! And at least he is far less contrived than Commetti and Mr Delicious on Seven!

What I liked about Blight was his commentary on "that" umpire, who again wanted to be the spectacle, and managed to call a pre-determined holding the ball free against Tadhg, when he could not even see the ball!

Can't recall his exact words, but he gave it to him and basically said he has no understanding of the game, and shouldn't be umpiring, BUT, IMPORTANTLY, he never mentioned his name!

So in that context, he is a mile ahead of the other dopes, like Brian Taylor, who just keep "perpetuating the legend" ... which seems to be the only reason that particular umpire is out there!

I have also long been an advocate of the 3 goal rule. My understanding of it though, is that it is the first objective if you get behind - work to get back within 3 goals, and then they can be kicked in no time, particularly if you have momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    That's not my understanding of Blight's 3 goal rule.

My understanding is when you are getting towelled, but there is still a way to go, don't focus on the enormity of having to come back form 30/40/50 points behind. Just concentrate on kicking the next 3 goals. At that point you re-assess and more than likely invoke the 3 goal rule again. It's all about not trying to play unrealistically to make up a large deficit which will be counter productive to scoring in 90% of cases.
    Actually his rule is that it not unusual for a team to kick three goals in a row, and to do so reasonably quickly, so that until you are substantially outside that margin the losing team is always a chance to come back into it.

Fwiw I like his approach to htb which I think is that merely by diving on the ball or dragging it in you are not htb you are actually getting it. However the rest of the footy world seems to take the view that the rule reduces stoppages and is therefore a good rule.mi hate the way it penalizes the guy first to the ball and rewards the player second to it. But what would I know.

He's like the Ian Chappell of AFL commentary - he has his own opinion, knows what he's talking about and isn't afraid to go against everyone else but he just doesn't know when to leave it alone and move on. His points are usually spot on, but they don't need to be repeated seven times. Having said that, I don't mind him being in the commentary box and I agree that he's far better to listen to than Lloyd.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbournehammer View Post
    Actually his rule is that it not unusual for a team to kick three goals in a row, and to do so reasonably quickly, so that until you are substantially outside that margin the losing team is always a chance to come back into it.

Fwiw I like his approach to htb which I think is that merely by diving on the ball or dragging it in you are not htb you are actually getting it. However the rest of the footy world seems to take the view that the rule reduces stoppages and is therefore a good rule.mi hate the way it penalizes the guy first to the ball and rewards the player second to it. But what would I know.
    I watched a final in the Yarra Valley Mountain District league last week. When a player went to ground and a pack formed, in most cases they blew the whistle quickly, moved in quickly and threw it up. The game flowed really well and it made the players accountable and on the ball. In the AFL most times the opposition player is holding the ball in or 2 or 3 of them pile on to the bloke who went for the footy. So many times there is contact with the head by knees, arms, elbows, you name it and the poor bugger who made the ball his objective is pinged.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    You reckon the AFL commentators are bad.....I am watching The Storm NRL game. The commentators are more interested in the seagullls than the game.
    Says a bit about the game.....

One thing in Blighty's favour. He actually likes the Swans.
    Last edited by Primmy; 11th September 2011 at 10:49 PM.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

it's using blighty's rationale that at any time during a match a team can kick 3 quick goals.

so if adding 3 quick goals puts a team back in contention, the match isn't over yet. if adding 3 quick goals will have minimal effect, it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodmaniac View Post
    it's using blighty's rationale that at any time during a match a team can kick 3 quick goals.

so if adding 3 quick goals puts a team back in contention, the match isn't over yet. if adding 3 quick goals will have minimal effect, it's over.
    That is more my understanding of the three goal theory than what others have stated as their understanding.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

My favourite commentary moment of the weekend was during the Pies/Eagles game, when I swear I heard this exchange:

"The Eagles' forward line is in complete disarray."
    "Yeah, not only that, it's not working."

Blight's 3-goal rule: if you get three successive goals kicked on you, as a coach you have to make a change ie. move players around, alter the approach. That 3rd goal is your cue.
    To all those people who waited 72 years to see a South Melbourne/Sydney Swans premiership HERE IT IS!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast