Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nick Davis - back to save us

Veterans List

Nick Davis - back to save us

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/l...911-1k44k.html

FOOTBALL coaches leave nothing to chance to get their desired results, and Sydney coach John Longmire said yesterday he recently invited retired premiership forward Nick Davis to the club to get his feedback on the Swans' wayward goal kicking late in the season.

Longmire said he had spoken with Davis - considered one of the purest kickers to play for the club - earlier in the season about various football issues. When the club was struggling with straight kicking, he asked Davis to come in with a new perspective and see if there was anything he could add.

''He's only been twice, but I had spoken to him a number of times during the year,'' Longmire said. ''I always thought he had a really sharp footy brain, Nick, and when I was coaching the forwards, I used to use him as an on-field resource. I thought he was always good to talk to and he really knows his footy and he wasn't just a natural talent.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/l...#ixzz1XeinqkLK

Davis came to save our goalkicking

To help players get over the yips, Longmire called in the straightest shooter around.

'
    'I always thought he had a really sharp footy brain Nick, and when I was coaching the forwards, I used to use him as an on-field resource,'' Longmire said.

''I've spoken to him a few times through the year about different things and goal kicking was obviously one of them.

''A few weeks ago now, he came in and sat down and went through a bit of vision and just picked up a couple of points.
    Davis back for Swans
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Happy and I know it
    ''The main thing we as coaches found, though, was where we were taking our shots from. We had to look at getting more shots from higher percentage areas.

''It was largely that we were kicking from 45 metres out, on the angle, on the run, which is pretty hard to do, so we were trying to make sure we increased having those shots from closer, which has helped us.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/d...#ixzz1XgK0tCf0

Well honestly, couldn't we all have told them that?

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think we all could have told them that, we maybe just might have struggled with giving them pointers on how to correct it.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Blog Entries
    Get him out to have a chat with Sam, pronto!!!

Blog Entries
    Hang on a sec ... Who is our forward coach? What are his strengths? And who put him there? And may I please ask why?

Without being told "You just don't like Longmire" (we all know that now) ... These are genuine questions ... on topic ... If we had a decent forward coach, would we be better off? Or am I really just a "hater"?

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by erica View Post
    ''The main thing we as coaches found, though, was where we were taking our shots from. We had to look at getting more shots from higher percentage areas.

''It was largely that we were kicking from 45 metres out, on the angle, on the run, which is pretty hard to do, so we were trying to make sure we increased having those shots from closer, which has helped us.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/d...#ixzz1XgK0tCf0

Well honestly, couldn't we all have told them that?
    Hehehe,yes ,it seems obvious doesn't it? However goals are also missed from close in which suggests technique might be a problem. Can we all throw in $50 each and give Reid a couple of sessions with Malcolm Blight? He seems to have correctly analyzed Reid's technique faults and has a solution.Can someone organise this and put me down for $50.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    I think we all could have told them that, we maybe just might have struggled with giving them pointers on how to correct it.
    Are you still running round the house squealing like a schoolgirl at the mere revival of 'Guns' name in the paper today?
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    Hang on a sec ... Who is our forward coach? What are his strengths? And who put him there? And may I please ask why?

Without being told "You just don't like Longmire" (we all know that now) ... These are genuine questions ... on topic ... If we had a decent forward coach, would we be better off? Or am I really just a "hater"?

I think there's a still a role for a recent ex player to tell it like it is from recent games experience, no matter how good the coaches. I like the way that Horse says Leo, Kirk, Crouch and Nicky D are doing that. Great way of keeping the Bloods heritage alive by players who gave the team their all, too.

I particularly like the way that Nick is part of the group - and was even when Roos was coach - despite the way he left the club. It contrasts markedly with a full forward who moved south. And Nick is just an infectiously larrikin spirit who keeps it all fun, despite the desperation around winning finals.

It's a pity that Bradshaw didn't impart more of his genius last year while off injured; that Roos felt that there were more important things to do than practice goal kicking and that there are no poles with Pepsi Max cans centred between the goal posts.

I don't have a problem with not scoring from difficult angles anywhere near as much as not scoring from the easy shots that don't go through.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Are you still running round the house squealing like a schoolgirl at the mere revival of 'Guns' name in the paper today?
    Baby, thanks to the wonders of desktop publishing his name is in the paper everyday at my house.
    unledftd.jpg
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Noticed Chris Scott of Stevie J something to the gist of if you overcoach him, you might lose his innate strengths. Roos ruined Davis.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast