Thread: Key Position Defender Prospects for the Draft

Key Position Defender Prospects for the Draft

Whenever the question is asked which area of the field do the Swans need to improve the answer most of the time is either Key Position Defender or Inside Midfielder. Many were expecting for us to cover our defence in the trade period however and then use our 1st pick in the draft to cover the midfield. As we already know this wasn't the case and with the Swans having pick 16 as our first pick the likelyhood of us getting one of the top line midfielders is very slim, heck I think Carlton has a better chance of winning next years premiership than a top line midfielder dropping down to us.

The likely hood is that by our first pick there will be a few good options for the key position post. There will be most likely 4 options in the Key Position Defender role come Pick 16. They are:

Will Gayfer (Murray Bushrangers) - 192 cm and 92 kg
    Michael Johnson (Perth) - 194cm and 92kg
    David Mundy (Murray Bushrangers) - 192cm and 83kg
    Michael Pettigrew (West Perth) - 192cm and 80kg

Of that lot I would like either Gayfer or Pettigrew, with Pettigrew the more likely to be available, with my belief that West Coast will pick up Johnson and Port Adelaide to pick up Gayfer. But if either was to be available the Swans shouldn't hesitate to pick either one, because they will be good key position defenders and the will be ready to play in a shorter period of time.

If the Swans do indeed overlook a key position defender with the first pick I think we'll pick one up later on with one of our last 3 picks. Options include:

Murray Boyd (Western Jets) - 195cm and 91kg
    Dale Ellis (Woodville-West Torrens) - 196cm and 90kg
    Jayne Graham (South Fremantle) - 198cm and 98kg
    Adam Jordan (Northern Knights) - 191cm and 91kg
    Tom Mentiplay (Sandringham Dragons) - 196cm and 90kg
    Josh Moore (Eastern Ranges) - 190cm and 86kg
    Matthew Spencer (Swan Districts) - 194cm and 86kg
    Chris Stewart (Northern Knights) - 193cm and 80kg

I think there are a few hidden gems in this draft K/P Defender wise and I think the Swans should at least be able to add depth to the position.
    Once was, now elsewhere

Moderator please refer to my private message.

Apologies to those who read my message re: the above poster. My complaint is directed at him and shouldn't have been aired in public
    Last edited by Bart; 7th November 2003 at 04:51 PM.

That was very peculiar.
    Last edited by Sanecow; 7th November 2003 at 06:59 PM.

On the Rookie List Ryan Bomford's Avatar
    I see Adam Heuskes is making a comeback with one of the Adelaide Clubs .. now that would add some colour to our backline.

On the Rookie List
    Interesting re Johnson(perth) did not do much in the WAFL and the games I had seen, he looked like he was a little out of place however he shredded in draft camp according to the news. So Iam 50/50 on this one.

Pettigrew(westperth) saw a lot of him and no thanks looks like he gets a game because of his size to me. but hey Iam hardly a talent scout.

Interesting Hunt training with WestCoast, the coasters will take him late as a development player, he is home now and we have done alot of the hard work.

On the Rookie List
    Re Adam Heuskes: he is training with Norwood . Still 10 kgs above playing weight but is apparently going OK .
    WMP

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I think LRT could make a very decent key position defender, and not so far away either.

On the Rookie List

Key Position Prospects in the Draft

robbieando is spot on in his list of potential draftees, lets hope they are still available when we have a pick.

I personally like the look of Michael Johnson, but I think he'll be gone (to West Coast) before we get a pick.
    Once was, now elsewhere