Page 3 of 77 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
Results 25 to 36 of 920

Thread: Mega merged trading thread

  1. #25
    Senior Player ernie koala's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    northern beaches
    Posts
    3,175
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbournehammer View Post
    jesse offers far more than brian lake who at his best was a good back man and contested mark. but unless he has had a major attitude change there is no way that we would be recruiting him. unless we are going to play two rucks jesse is our best pinch-hitting ruck and forward.

    really dominant full forwards don't grow on trees. there are next to none in the league at the moment with the exception of buddy, cloke and the west coast players. there are many many clubs with similar situations to our own with players who might be really good one week in 5-6 - tippett, walker, clarke, kosi, west off, the melbourne forwards,
    Firstly : Lake has, and can, play FF well. Spent most of his junior days as a forward.
    He is an excellent mark, reads the play and flight of the ball as well as anyone, and is a pretty good kick for goal.
    Secondly : From what I've read this season, his form, or lack there of, is more to do with poor player/ injury management by the dogs, than Lakes attitude.
    ('The Eade factor', remember how Goodes and Kirk, to name 2, were travelling in 2002, then think about how they travelled in 2003).
    Don't forget Lake was an All Australian the year before, and you don't get there with a bad attitude.
    Third : The forwards you've named as being inconsistent nearly all played for inconsistent/ lousy teams...
    The point you've inadvertently made is, that there are plenty of forwards with potential, presently playing for ordinary teams.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

  2. #26
    Veterans List aardvark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    5,178
    Chris Dawes still hasn't signed with the maggies.......anyone interested???

  3. #27
    It's Goodes to cheer!! Site Admin ScottH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Master of the house, keeper of the zoo
    Posts
    23,607
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Chris Dawes still hasn't signed with the maggies.......anyone interested???
    Yesterdays paper suggested he might be a good option for the Swans.

  4. #28
    Veterans List aardvark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    5,178
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Yesterdays paper suggested he might be a good option for the Swans.
    Yep I'm keen. Lets throw some money at him !!

  5. #29
    Chris Dawes would be great (though I don't know how we'd be able to adequately compensate the pies...) and so would Brent Macaffer. His trade price wouldn't be too high and he would surely be seeking some opportunities to regularly play in a starting side.

  6. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    Firstly : Lake has, and can, play FF well. Spent most of his junior days as a forward.
    He is an excellent mark, reads the play and flight of the ball as well as anyone, and is a pretty good kick for goal.
    Secondly : From what I've read this season, his form, or lack there of, is more to do with poor player/ injury management by the dogs, than Lakes attitude.
    ('The Eade factor', remember how Goodes and Kirk, to name 2, were travelling in 2002, then think about how they travelled in 2003).
    Don't forget Lake was an All Australian the year before, and you don't get there with a bad attitude.
    Third : The forwards you've named as being inconsistent nearly all played for inconsistent/ lousy teams...
    The point you've inadvertently made is, that there are plenty of forwards with potential, presently playing for ordinary teams.
    actually the point I've advertently made is that good teams make good forwards and poor teams make poor forwards. and middle teams which i have to say is where we are have middling forwards. the reality is that it is the strength of your midfield which determines how well you play as a forward. and our midfield when we play the better teams is frequently slow and second to the ball because we condition our players to stop their opponents from getting it first, and play accountable team based footy. very few of our midfield players over the past decade have had brilliant skills or n ability to hit players lace out. most of our best passers have been the hffs schneider, buchanan, mcveigh when he plays forward, rok, or our hbfs such as mattner, mal, tadhg, shaw and our forward fiftys have been dominated by goodes.

    i guess the point i have been trying to make is that white gets blamed because our side simply kicks high up and unders into the fifty, and it really doesn't matter who you put there for the majority of those kicks (cf friday night for the classic example of it) are simply rubbish kicks. and that is the case for most mid table to lower table teams.

    roos has been simply scathing of lake on the couch this year - who knows maybe he was playing a double bluff to get him cheap but the way he was talking was not in my mind suggesting that he was a player roos would want at the swans. and long mire doesn't fall very far from the roos tree if you ask me.

  7. #31
    Regular in the Side
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by DLBIA14 View Post
    Chris Dawes would be great (though I don't know how we'd be able to adequately compensate the pies...) and so would Brent Macaffer. His trade price wouldn't be too high and he would surely be seeking some opportunities to regularly play in a starting side.
    Hopefully the Pies are running into salaray cap issues and we get him cheap because they see us as no threat

  8. #32
    Just wild about Harry
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,821
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbournehammer View Post
    i guess the point i have been trying to make is that white gets blamed because our side simply kicks high up and unders into the fifty, and it really doesn't matter who you put there for the majority of those kicks (cf friday night for the classic example of it) are simply rubbish kicks. and that is the case for most mid table to lower table teams.
    Agree. White cannot take a contested mark and will only mark on the lead. For this reason our delivery into the forward line simply doesnt suit him. It is like our mids got all excited because Reid can take 3 or 4 contested grabs every game, so bomb it in 15 times in the hope that this time will be the one. The only time bombing it in is to our advantage is when ball movement is quick from the middle, so there is no time for the opposition to zone. This means that my point is emphasized - our game plan is all wrong. When we played Collingwood and moved the ball fast and bombed long it worked, but when we dont move the ball fast and still bomb it long, then players like Gibson simply hang back and create records for spoiling stats.

    let's get our mids to move it quickly and White will become a much better player.
    Last edited by Frog; 19th September 2011 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Fixed quote

  9. #33
    On the Rookie List GongSwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Wollongong NSW
    Posts
    1,362
    On forward entries, our mark and play on percentage must go up. This is how you move the ball quickly and isolate targets forward. We don't match up well on teams like Carlton and Hawks because they outrun us and their bottom six players our better than ours. Run and spread, if we are recruiting anyone for anything
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

  10. #34
    Regular in the Side
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    981
    Article on Swans web site about our success in "recycling":

    The Master Regenerators

    Contains a rather ominous sentence: "Some seem to have fallen by the wayside - Mike Pyke, Mark Seaby, Paul Bevan, Nick Malceski."

  11. #35
    Senior Player Plugger46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Narre Warren, Victoria
    Posts
    3,653
    Quote Originally Posted by GongSwan View Post
    On forward entries, our mark and play on percentage must go up. This is how you move the ball quickly and isolate targets forward. We don't match up well on teams like Carlton and Hawks because they outrun us and their bottom six players our better than ours. Run and spread, if we are recruiting anyone for anything
    Exactly right. This is where we get left behind sometimes.
    Bloods

    "Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

  12. #36
    Senior Player Bleed Red Blood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    olympic village
    Posts
    2,056
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Not going to happen. I think our best option in this area is to continue putting work into Pykey to replicate the kind of options we can see in West Coast and, let it be said after last night, Hawthorn. Mummy had it all over Hale and Bailey but he needs better support than Jesse can give, and Big Mike will make a very useful marking target down forward.
    The other thing is the midfield.Hanners was carrying his shoulder and Parker probably should have started, Jack is still getting back into the thick of things and Macca was up and down, but we were beaten by a better outfit last night. We can do better with the personnel we have but my impression is we need to do something about the drop-off in intensity and do more to develop our outside game: we looked vulnerable when the game opened up. Another running mid is what we need.
    Agree with all of that. We are going to have a very, very good midfield in a few years, but right now we need a Paul Williams. Someone with pace, who can kick to our forwards advantage.

Page 3 of 77 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO