Page 6 of 78 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: Mega merged trading thread

Season wrap with Josh Kennedy - Official AFL Website of the Sydney Swans Football Club

Seems Josh has a younger brother who plays for Box Hill Ressies. Hmmm ???

Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    Anyone know if Vardy and Hawkins are sewn up yet??? And then there's Dawes, of course - definitely out of contract. Though surprisingly he only scores one goal a game too (like Reid). What we REALLY need, though is a Shaun Burgoyne type...any ideas? Satin and Silk...but strong enough to break tackles and never loses his balance.
    Well Hawkins hasn't but I imagine there will be nothing till after the GF.

Should be another good trade period but painfully very long.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Regular in the Side
    Even discounting Goodes on the Veteran's list there must surely be scope in the current salary cap next year to recontract players on higher salaries. I would have thought that lack of funds was the least of our worries in any potential trading compared to lack of picks or cattle to offer up.

We have three retirements; Craig Bolton, Daniel Bradshaw & Tadhg Kennelly. that leaves three places vacant.

Add to this according to the AFL rules these players would be elegable for veteran status; Adam Goodes (already elegable), Jude Bolton, Ryan O'Keefe & Rhyce Shaw. Each of these players will be over 30 on Septeember 2012 (all over 30 as of October 2011). They have all been on AFL lists for 10 years. Marty Mattner would be elegible if the rule applies to 10 years as of the start of the season, if not his will apply in 2013 as will Ted Richards.

These players are the most likely to be traded but remember with veterans and retirements we have some leeway.

Paul Bevan; would be a good player at Bullies or GWS
    Andrejs Everitt; don't know if this experiment worked he sometimes showed glimpses of what he could be but just not enough
    Nick Malcheski; this saddens me to have him here as he has been a great player for us but must be seen as trade bait at this stage. although I think he will be retained
    Brett Meredith; Showed some good things but maybe not enough, they may perservere
    Jared Moore; Bulldog may be kept around the club to help develop the young blokes but he may still want a shot at the big league & then he would be very good trade bait, Melb, Rich, Bullies or Crows
    Mark Seaby; Maybe the extra ruckman. Several clubs are looking for a good first ruck. Try Port or Bullies.
    Byron Sumner; Sad that this lad got homesickness because he has a lot to give. Very smart player & will be good for either Crows or Port
    Jesse White; Developing but not quite there I think he will be retained but will have to step up next year or will be shown the door

Veteran Site Admin
    Players have to be on a club's list for 10 years to be classified as a veteran, not just on any list. Fro
    Sydney's point of view it doesn't make any difference. Two is the maximum for list size purposes, and hard to imagine for salary cap purposes that there is any point diluting further than Goodes, Bolton and ROK.

Rumour has it that the Swans would like Pendlebury, LeCras, Franklin and Riewoldt on their list in 2012.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAkkuret View Post
    Rumour has it that the Swans would like Pendlebury, LeCras, Franklin and Riewoldt on their list in 2012.
    Rumour has it all clubs want all of them on their lists in 2012, Oh Gee it's not a rumour it is fact!

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Players have to be on a club's list for 10 years to be classified as a veteran, not just on any list. Fro
    Sydney's point of view it doesn't make any difference. Two is the maximum for list size purposes, and hard to imagine for salary cap purposes that there is any point diluting further than Goodes, Bolton and ROK.
    According to the official AFL website rules; Veterans Rules; Any club can name as many veterans as they wish as long as they are 30 years of age & have been on the club list for 10 years. I see the problem now with Shaw & Mattner but I believe the veteran title should be transferable as it was in the '80's and earlier. The new rule allowing players to have veteran status allowing them to move to a new club after eight years without a clearance is going to make a mockery of this rule. Suddenly a very valued player walks out on your club without a cent going to the club. Strange that Demetrio is the CEO when this rule comes in as one of his old clubs, the Roos, benefited from a similar rule in the '70's & won two premierships.

By the way I think we have a great deal of scope not to delist this year & also bring new players in either from the rookies or accadamy. If we do delist we have a greater scope of accadamy players or draft picks if we can get good preferential picks for the delisted players.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    but I believe the veteran title should be transferable as it was in the '80's and earlier. The new rule allowing players to have veteran status allowing them to move to a new club after eight years without a clearance is going to make a mockery of this rule. Suddenly a very valued player walks out on your club without a cent going to the club. Strange that Demetrio is the CEO when this rule comes in as one of his old clubs, the Roos, benefited from a similar rule in the '70's & won two premierships.
    I am confused. On the one hand you want veteran status transferrable when a player moves club, yet on the other you are bemoaning the imminent introduction of free agency that will enable players with many years service to move clubs without going through the draft or trading process. One of the major mechanisms available to clubs to retain their long serving, highest paid players is the lure of part of their salary falling outside the cap once they have reached age 30. If you allow veteran status to transfer when a player moves club, you are removing this one incentive for the very best players to stay put at their original club.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    He's not that good anyway and would struggle as the main focal point in our forward line. White or Everitt would look alot better playing in the Collingwood forward line

Page 6 of 78 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast