Page 77 of 78 FirstFirst ... 2767737475767778 LastLast

Thread: Mega merged trading thread

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Johnny Longmire in his interview said that Jack Lynch is a tall defender at 193cm to 194cm?

doesnt say that on the swans site

does anyone agree he is the same dimensions as AJ at 193cm ?
    There's only a few inches in it!
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

now I must warn you this may make you laugh

but after watching Wagga Harry Cunningham play the game .....fair dinkum he runs and plays a lot like the honourable Wagga lord mayor Paul Kelly at the same age

I still remember Paul being the best in his school (same as Harry) and then scooting up to Sydney in 1990?...........from memory Kell won the best and fairest at the Swans the year after Barry Mitchell in approx 1993.......and funny enough we now also have young Barrys son Tom starting at the Swans this year also......twilight zone !

Cunningham has the similar long legs for his height.......similar dash around the ground......similar feet out......... duck feet ...........nice over head grab.......and already Goodes is saying he is a goer

well we did have a lunar eclipse the other night and nothing has been the same since !

"be tough, only when it gets tough"

I'll look forward to watching "Richie" in the Ressies next year to see if he lives up to that hype.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Just a little post-script on LJ, a reliable source (not a player) came into work today and let me in on a few secret home truths: LJ was apparently quite a wanker. Reportedly would aggressively yell at the physios and had a general arrogance about him that just didn't fit the club's culture, and as a result the player group wanted him out. While some of you may be skeptical, I think this story does make sense in that the coaches seemingly had no qualms about shopping around a basically untried Top-ten draft pick to other clubs. So yeah, dare we say... good riddance?

ps. with the physio thing, that might've had something to do with his frustrations with injuries etc. Yet still, this source was quite adamant that he had a personality that didn't bode well with the leadership group/other players.

I did hear the same thing from the only nephew of my fathers brother.

Who knows if these things are true or not. It could be that the injuries and some home sickness contributed to LJ's demeanor and trading him back home was the best solution.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Just as a side note to anyone following his fortunes; Kane Murphy (Son of David Murphy) who played toppie in ressies last year (and caught my attention at least) has decided to go to Norwood to get SANFL hard playing/opposition to assist in his plan to push his way to the front door of the AFL and to start bashing it down. I like his attitude and plan of action. Good luck kiddo. Make a note Kinnear! Stuey!
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Veterans List
    I noticed in the LRT interview posted on the Swans website, LRT mentioned Mitch Morton as impressing on the training track.

That is probably the first time in Morton's career that he has been noted for his training work.

By his own admission, he has squandered his time at the Weagles and Wretchmond so it looks like the penny has finally dropped for him and getting him for Pick 79 may prove a bargain buy as he has always had undoubted class and X-factor.

Quote Originally Posted by nomae View Post
    Just a little post-script on LJ, a reliable source (not a player) came into work today and let me in on a few secret home truths: LJ was apparently quite a wanker. Reportedly would aggressively yell at the physios and had a general arrogance about him that just didn't fit the club's culture, and as a result the player group wanted him out. While some of you may be skeptical, I think this story does make sense in that the coaches seemingly had no qualms about shopping around a basically untried Top-ten draft pick to other clubs. So yeah, dare we say... good riddance?

ps. with the physio thing, that might've had something to do with his frustrations with injuries etc. Yet still, this source was quite adamant that he had a personality that didn't bode well with the leadership group/other players.
    My daughter works at the SCG and is quite friendly with a few of the teams fitness staff and says the same thing and that it had NOTHING to do with injury. The boy is apparently a wanker through and through who has a very high opinion of himself.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar

2011 Draft

The ROI for the 2011 draft thus far is only 222 games, a touch under 28 games per selection – this is the lowest ROI of any of the draft years we’ve re-examined.

In the National draft we took.
    #21 Tom Mitchell F Hawthorn
    #43 Jordan Lockyer
    #61 Alex Brown
    And utilised #85 to promote Nathan Gordon
    Then in the rookies:
    #13 Shane Biggs
    #31 Campbell Heath
    #93 Harry Cunningham
    #95 Jack Lynch

We took advantage of a father son opportunity at a phenomenal bargain price, Tom as #21 was ludicrous. But then the curse of the Swans father son selection struck yet again and we failed to make the most of that bit of good luck.
    I appreciate that for RWOers any criticism of the club makes them tend to overreact to what they perceive as disloyalty. On the other hand whether or not the Swans wanted rid of Mitchell because he didn’t fit in, or his possessions don’t hurt etc. etc. it’s hard not to see him as a lost opportunity.

We could have selected other players instead of Tom, but it’s unlikely that Elliot Yeo or Bradley Hill would have given the Swans longer service. After Tom things get more interesting:
    Rather than Lockyer, we could have brought Sam Rowe back to the club – but would he have gotten many games with Reg and Teddy on the list?
    More controversial, we could have picked up Lachie Neale, but what’s to say he wouldn’t have ben squeezed out in the way Mitchell was.
    In place of Alex Brown and the rookies, we could have gone for

Aaron Hall who was overlooked until the pre season draft, he has plenty of detractors, much as Captain Gumby did – but perhaps he would have developed differently in the Swans system?

There are 3 notable rookies to consider. Rory Laird – although he was seen as a back pocket and may have been competing with Nick Smith.

Likewise Jack Crisp was taken at #40 in the Rookie draft but he was probably a flight risk.

Then we have Mark Blicavs, can anyone really suggest we might have taken him rather Campbell Heath? He was such an astonishing longshot.

So who do you think we should have take?

Although the ROI looks terrible, we really didn’t leave much on the table, it was a very shallow draft indeed. So I’d suggest the Swans recruiters deserve a pass mark, a B or C for 2011.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Senior Player
    Cunningham at Rookie pick 93 was and is a standout. As for the the rest apart from Mitchell…

We had mostly very low picks that season so this needs to be factored into any analysis. Tom Mitchell did win a Brownlow in 2017 and is probably still considered one of the Hawks' best players. If we had kept him then this draft would look much better for us. Its all history now. I tend to think the Academy has rescued us over the last 8 years or so when it comes to elite talent coming through. Mills, Heeney, Blakey - all top 10 talents for little draft outlay.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    I tend to think the Academy has rescued us over the last 8 years or so when it comes to elite talent coming through. Mills, Heeney, Blakey - all top 10 talents for little draft outlay.
    I absoluely agree, to put it another way from an earlier post on the 2013 draft
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    . . . the salary cap squeeze that resulted from the recruitment of Kurt and Buddy was always going to lead to player retention issues, and it did. Fortunately for us, the Academy started to kick into gear and allowed the Swans to stave off a calamity.
    Without the academy the brief absence from finals that we experienced could well have been more akin to the post Edelstun apocalypse. I think it that important.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.