• Byron Sumner

45 56.96%
  • Jesse White

21 26.58%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Delistings 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I saw that and it was damning. Just showed him as a lazy footballer who seemed to be in a different zone than the rest of the players on the ground. That footage of him strolling in from the boundary as the ball was about to be bounced, not realizing/knowing that it was him who was the one who was supposed to be in the contest. No second efforts, no chase efforts. Interestingly Roos made no attempt to defend him. The only club that will take him in a trade is one whose coach thinks he can make a silk purse out of sows ear.

Then they showed Darling of the WCE delivering off half back then running to take a mark inside 50 from which he goaled in the last quarter.
    But it probably wasnt the best footage to make the point. jesse is alleged to have half-heartedly chased the ball - but in a situation where there were five saints players and he actually tackled one being farren ray. Where exactly were the other swans who should have been roughly in the vicinity ? from the footage I saw there wasn't a single other swan about. Then jesse is whacked for staying where the stoppage was - a stoppage I might add which was on our defensive side of half way. And blow me down if he wasn't standing within five metres of his man who was Kosi - perhaps the point was two more lazy footballers you could not have found. But to have whacked jesse for that footage was pissweak.

Having said that i generally believe that jesse is a fairly lazy player who is led to the ball as often as not. i reckon his second efforts are nowhere near as bad in the ruck as what they are in the forward line - in the ruck he quite frequently gets hands on the ball and gets useful possessions. in the forward line he often looks a bit lost. But again on the weekend he gets the rough end of the stick - I'd be amazed if he didn't lay a legitimate tackle on the weekend in the third quarter only for the umpire to call too high and then to pay 50 against mcglynn for some sort of backchat (and if the backchat was to the effect - you are only calling too high against one team tonight you @#$#ing useless umpire it would have been pretty close to what i was saying myself)

White played 13 games this season for 102 possessions at an average per game of 7.8. He had 30 Clangers and only 4 Contested marks and averaged less than 1 goal per game. After 5 years at the club its time to move him on.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    White played 13 games this season for 102 possessions at an average per game of 7.8. He had 30 Clangers and only 4 Contested marks and averaged less than 1 goal per game. After 5 years at the club its time to move him on.
    Do FA not count as clangers? He had 19 FA, which is relatively normal for a ruckman- take a look at who tops our FA + clanger totals for the year.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    For a guy his size, if his stats showed 1 contested mark per game then he may be worth it. 4 contested marks all year is abysmal. Jetta probably took more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    For a guy his size, if his stats showed 1 contested mark per game then he may be worth it. 4 contested marks all year is abysmal. Jetta probably took more than that.
    It is pretty disappointing thats true. i think the greater concern would be if his opponent is regularly taking marks against him (and it wouldn't surprise me if that is also true). But if the ball is not being marked by either side then that wouldnt worry me. our game plan all year was based on the kick it to the contest on the wing and hope that we either mark or the ball is spilled over the line and repeat. if he is not getting outmarked regularly then its not a disaster.

i guess I take the view that barry hall rarely took contested marks either - he was a lead up forward and if the ball didn't get to him on the lead he was pretty ordinary - even more so once the hands in the back rule was adopted. Jesse is the same - he is actually a good leading forward but our game plan and many of our players have clearly lost confidence in this and him because they frequently kick to the contest out wide rather than the leading forwards.

and I actually think this reflects the very low skill levels in our side. i for one cant forget jude bolton v essendon with 2 minutes to go kicking to mummy on the lead and giving fletcher the chance to spoil - and essendon to go up the other end to goal in about 4.5 seconds (and yes jetta missed the handball)

i reckon it was drummed into the side after that not to kick it to leading forwards in the corridor.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbournehammer View Post
    It is pretty disappointing thats true. i think the greater concern would be if his opponent is regularly taking marks against him (and it wouldn't surprise me if that is also true). But if the ball is not being marked by either side then that wouldnt worry me. our game plan all year was based on the kick it to the contest on the wing and hope that we either mark or the ball is spilled over the line and repeat. if he is not getting outmarked regularly then its not a disaster.

i guess I take the view that barry hall rarely took contested marks either - he was a lead up forward and if the ball didn't get to him on the lead he was pretty ordinary - even more so once the hands in the back rule was adopted. Jesse is the same - he is actually a good leading forward but our game plan and many of our players have clearly lost confidence in this and him because they frequently kick to the contest out wide rather than the leading forwards.

and I actually think this reflects the very low skill levels in our side. i for one cant forget jude bolton v essendon with 2 minutes to go kicking to mummy on the lead and giving fletcher the chance to spoil - and essendon to go up the other end to goal in about 4.5 seconds (and yes jetta missed the handball)

i reckon it was drummed into the side after that not to kick it to leading forwards in the corridor.
    White is worth sticking with. Sydney are desperately short in the forward department and White played his best footy of the year once Reid and Spangher were both playing & kicking goals. There was too much pressure on White when he was the only target (thus drawing the oppositions best defender) and once he was one of three he was much better. He is useful as the forward ruck and he also takes away a key defender. Yes he needs to work on his forward pressure and take a few more marks but I honestly think he will get better next season. Had Bradshaw played this season, combined with a fit Spangher from the beginning of the season, I believe we would have seen a much better season from Jesse, playing a a forward option and not the main forward target.

Nick R couldnt even be a dominate figure.........Buddy and Cloake are a step above as targets in very good teams also !
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Senior Player
    I have not voted : agree with Annie's comments.

JW is not a bad football player - nobody on the list is .
    He looks big and scary , but IMO , his problem is that he just seems too nice and gentle a creature for the top-level , the antithesis of Barry Hall.
    Could the club then arrange "niceness management" classes for Jesse ?

Beva , of course , has no such problems. How did this bloke go from being a star of our win v Carlton last year , to a virtual discard ??
    Personallly , I am a fan - he may lack polish , but he's a fearless bugger.
    As I said previously , I think he'll get picked up by Melbourne.

TDL - why has he not cut it yet?

Jetta needs time , but I am not sure he would get it , were it not for his speed.

Veterans List
    Watched the replay today. Jessie White...nup.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Watched the replay today. Jessie White...nup.
    Gee whiz I don't want to end up jesse's last defender but on the basis of that one game what do you say about Reid, spangher, mcveigh, Rohan, and to be honest the entire team bar Kennedy and mummy to half time.

As far as I am concerned mcveigh has excuses at present but the three talls were all smashed. And when that's the case it's usually whats happening down the field.

Jesse may not be in the side and he may not be in the club this time next year. I dont know what the club really thinks. But please to crucify him on a game where we were so dysfunctional forward of centee seems frankly ludicrous. And seriously when goodes went forward were we any better ?

Blog Entries
    Reid and Rohan , are pretty much 1st year developing players.
    Spangher is new to the club, and will be given chances.
    McVeigh, for all his faults, is club captain, and will not be given up on.
    When Goodes went forward, he managed 3 goals.

Jesse has been at the club for 4 years now(?), was handed a golden egg when Barry "retired", played one outstanding game at FF, and has not seen to have progressed far since. That's in 2 and a 1/2 seasons.

As for rating him on one game, when so many more were just as inept, There was one marking contest right in front of me where he barely raised a trot to get to the contest. That said an awful lot to me, regardless of all the other stats that have been bandies about in this thread.

As much as I've wanted him to be the player I thought he was going to become. I have lost patience with him, and it will be interesting to see if the club rate him, come trade/delisting time.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Dealing with some reality here, isn't Jesse contracted through to the end of 2012? Do we all understand how delisting works? If the club was to delist someone who has a contract for next season, would they then not only have to pay them out but also have their salary count against the cap for 2012? Would a club be so disillusioned with a 23 y.o that they saw as being in their best 22 for the last 5 games of this season (remember, both Pyke and Seaby were available and played in the magoos in that time) that they'd make that sacrifice? Would you be happy with that list management?

So it's trade, and trade only then?
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast