Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Be warned, check first...

Should I tell GWS that they've got the wrong Sam Reid??

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Knickers View Post
    Illogical reasoning.
    How so?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheer Squad View Post
    How so?
    Most who put there money into GWS are doing for purely selfish reasons. So they can see more AFL.
    Not to really support the GWS.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Most who put there money into GWS are doing for purely selfish reasons. So they can see more AFL.
    Not to really support the GWS.
    That's the theory.

But I can't help thinking that if you're a Swans member who's prepared to invest in some sort of GWS membership, at some stage you're going to develop an emotional attachment to them.

You would have to be happy when they beat every other team, except the Swans. And if we lost Reid to them, and he kicked the winning goal for GWS against any team other than the Swans, I can't see how, as a GWS member, you'd be unhappy with that.

That's the theory.

But I can't help thinking that if you're a Swans member who's prepared to invest in some sort of GWS membership, at some stage you're going to develop an emotional attachment to them.

You would have to be happy when they beat every other team, except the Swans. And if we lost Reid to them, and he kicked the winning goal for GWS against any team other than the Swans, I can't see how, as a GWS member, you'd be unhappy with that.
    Well, you're wrong. I'm considering buying the cheapest available GWS membership (if I'm able to afford it, which I might not), and yes, early on I'll want GWS to win against everybody but the Swans. But I also feel that way about GC, and I'd be livid if they had stolen a player like Reid.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    Well, you're wrong. I'm considering buying the cheapest available GWS membership (if I'm able to afford it, which I might not), and yes, early on I'll want GWS to win against everybody but the Swans. But I also feel that way about GC, and I'd be livid if they had stolen a player like Reid.
    So how would you feel if Reid left the Swans because he wanted to? And then went to another team you're supporting as a financial member?

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Most who put there money into GWS are doing for purely selfish reasons. So they can see more AFL. Not to really support the GWS.
    There is nothing selfish about that and GWS Giants will exist whether we buy memberships or not. I can support two teams however as shown in a past thread there are many who can't grasp that concept.

Although you may be starved of Swans games in Melbourne, you are not starved of high quality AFL games. We in Sydney can at least from next year enjoy weekly games even if they will be lop sided for a year or two

That's the theory.

So what if you develop an emotional attachment. The talk of losing Reid to GWS on these threads has been just short of hysteria. We could lose quite a few others as well. People have little faith in the Swans to retain Reid and build a team around him.

So how would you feel if Reid left the Swans because he wanted to? And then went to another team you're supporting as a financial member?
    Hypothetical hysterical question based on nothing but fear. To answer it anyway - I would love it! If he wanted to leave then why should any fan base dictate what a player does with his life. His life and future he is putting first.

I've heard Mitchell will probably be asking to go back west after his contract is up. Worry about that instead.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

I'd be devastated. And whether I'm supporting the team he went to financially has no bearing on that. I will want GWS to win games whether or not I buy a membership. If Reid wins them games, I'll be happy insofar as it achieves that goal. It won't make losing him any easier to swallow.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
    There is nothing selfish about that and GWS Giants will exist whether we buy memberships or not.
    Yes but for how long? The AFL is spending huge amounts of money and creating massive upheavals in a successful competition to build a product for which there is very little demand.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Yes but for how long? The AFL is spending huge amounts of money and creating massive upheavals in a successful competition to build a product for which there is very little demand.
    I think I heard for 20 to 25 years was their commitment.

The AFL is too arrogant to pull out in the short term and when Folau starts consistently kicking 6 pointers each week, the people will come in masses to check what it's all about.

GWS is in a significantly superior position to the Swans in 1982. You know the latter history.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Bas, you're not alone in this thread, but you are doing such a good job, especially post #31, I'll just sit back and leave it up to you at this stage.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
    I think I heard for 20 to 25 years was their commitment.

The AFL is too arrogant to pull out in the short term and when Folau starts consistently kicking 6 pointers each week, the people will come in masses to check what it's all about.

GWS is in a significantly superior position to the Swans in 1982. You know the latter history.
    I don't want the whole GWS venture to not succeed, but I do see it as a high risk venture that could have negative impact on the Swans. I hope I'm wrong but I don't see the masses flocking to GWS any time in the near future. I've heard the 20-25 year figure being bandied about by the AFL too - geez I'd like to be able to put up business plans at work with that sort of timeframe for a pay-off....

Anyway I'm getting a bit off-topic here.... I think the hysteria is a bit high that our players will be poached by GWS - I would hope there is a 'hands-off' directive in terms of Swans players in order to grow the game here. I hope we can enjoy Sam having an even better 2012 and not let talk of potentially losing him ruin things....

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast