Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2011 B&F predictions, results and event recollections

Was hoping Joey would snatch it, but Goodesy had a wonderful year. Teddy was a little low for my liking and Rhyce a little high. AJ might feel a little hard done by missing out on the RS award (as a joint winner of course). I thought he was outstanding. Smooch was impressive this year (top 10 finish was brilliant), but Teddy should have got the most improved award. Go back 18 months and he's languishing in the reserves, contemplating the end of his career.

My crappy college internet connection made the video pause way too often so I missed Josh's speech which I really wanted to hear. Hopefully they put up a replay! He's one of my favourite players and I'm so happy he's blossomed at the Swans.

All in all. I was smiling throughout the broadcast; it was lovely to listen to people who adore, admire and invest themselves wholly in this club. Well done to the Swans for letting its fans view the event.

Just got back to my hotel room after a terrific night. (must complain to reception about the room constantly spinning but I digress). Had the pleasure of sharing the evening with Dimelb,his beautiful wife and daughter, Primmy and Wardy and what a great night it was. Thank you to you all for your great company. I'm already looking forward to celebrating with you again at next years event.

These nights are about celebrating who we are as a club and the Swans do it brilliantly. Congratulations to all the winners (thought Joey deserved best finals player but Goodes was great as well) and farewell to Tadgh and Bolts who have been great for this club.

I love this club.
    Last edited by Big Al; 8th October 2011 at 12:53 AM.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Regular in the Side
    Awesome night! AJ is so lovely and all the players more than happy to stop and take a photo or chat ... If you're ever going to go to a Swans event - this is the one! All very deserving winners and Goodsey is all class! Rhyce Shaw's dancing with a cameo from Nick Mal was the highlight of the night!

Well come on, what's the answer, we are all waiting.

You guys at the B&F had one mission tonight, to find out the contract status of a certain ranga.

Do tell.....
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

You don't ban those who supported your opponent, you make them wallow in their loserdom by covering your victory! You sit them in the front row. You give them a hat! Toby Ziegler

Have no idea about the ranga B, but he is a party boy, and he joined the wonderful Rhyce up on stage for a dance. Both of those boys can really dance. I think Rhyce was dancing with joy, he had NO idea he was going to be Best Club Man, and he certainly had no idea about how high up the ladder his performance was appreciated by the bosses. He just had no idea. It is easy to see how much he is loved by his team mates. They went Off!

And the music was a misery. The volume was sooooo loud it made shouting the only way to communicate, and then I had to give up and just watch. Impressions of the night.

. Ranga is a happy bloke, can't see him leaving; he was right into the night and having a fine old time. Where is the shy kid I ask you!
    . AJ is a nice kid, but has a way to go before he will hang around the old folks, his parents are wonderful and his mother darned attractive! and generous. Lining up her son's friends for photos.
    . Luke Parker is a lovely young man. Cannot call that one a kid. Happy to chat and be involved. Leadership qualities, and a clear idea of his place in life (AFL that is).
    . Luke's father is also a great bloke. Says he thinks they have lost him to the club, but he is happy with that. The club is a great one and really look after the kids. Told him that I thought Luke was of the same ilk as Daryn Cresswell (bless him he wasn't sure who that was, I mentioned knee cap and that was all it took, he then gave me a description of Luke in combat before coming to the Swans, which I won't go into, but it brought tears to my eyes, it must be hard to be Luke's parents!!! No self preservation at all)
    . Tadgh is a lovely man who is comfortable with not playing footy now.
    . Adam is getting better and better at his job and has massive patience.
    . NicMal is getting happily married in 3 weeks time, and his fiance is a beautiful gem of a woman who is clearly mad about him. And she is kind and generous. Got a massive tick of approval from me (and that really when all said and done is what counts).
    . Heath Grundy is punching above his weight.
    . Tom Harley was there, in his capacity of (ahhhhh I forget, you know .... fill in the blanks). Watched Hanners buttonhole him, and that's the way it stayed for ages.
    . Jesse White is gorgeous; I don't care what anyone says. He now reminds me of LRT socially. Almost shy. If I was only about half a lifetime younger.....
    . Button holed George Stone about Kane Murphy. He just said they had a lot of work to do before the draft; but I do feel that the kid is in consideration, maybe, perhaps, sort of, but he didn't say no.
    . Talked to the massively tall and wide Sam; we discussed the kids coming through and that they had to learn each other's strengths and weaknesses; he got positively enthusiastic at this point, it looks like it is something they are very much aware of, however he seemed to go deaf when I said the words 'goal kicking'.
    . LJ has gone from "hairbear" to presentable young man that I almost didn't recognise.
    . Campbell Heath is quite a handsome young man, but young.
    . Matt Spangher is quite a party boy. Having a whale of a time, and the word shy doesn't leap to the fore. Got a bit of a "rahh" every time he got some points up, and then it became a bit of a laugh. But, he was getting points.....when not all players were.
    . For the first time I was very very aware of just how HARD those boys arms are, and NicMal has absolutely no 'covering' on him other than skin. He is too thin IMHO.
    . Paul Kelly has silver hair coming through and it was nice to see Mrs Kelly on deck.
    . Craig Bolton is gorgeous. On every level.
    . Mrs Jude Bolton Snr was there, looking as gregarious and funfilled as ever (reportedly she said she had to come this year as Jude was not getting any younger.....like I said, she is a laugh).
    . Jason Ball looks no different!
    . I kind of like Ben Haren - he has put on a couple of inches I would say and seemed a bit shocked I knew who he was; looking forward to seeing how he does next season.

. I know who Jenny is!!! Can see why she got the job, worthy successor to Larissa; and she is taller than a number of the players.

. Venue was packed, not much room between the tables. Most of the waitstaff were very small, probably to fit around the chairs. Not too bad this year, and as Wardy and Al would attest, they were happy to provide us with topups; don't know about the red, but the Verdello was ok.
    . dimelb (Don) and Anne and Susan were here from Melbourne, and we were next to another contingent from Melbourne. Looks like everyone is getting into the groove of CC.
    . We missed Bas, and sent him a photo of us - say what you will about the current era, but technology is amazing!
    . The visuals were terrific. this venue had lots of huge fitted screens all around the walls, and you could not miss what was happening on stage. Super high definition, nothing muzzy at all.
    . I inadvertently got to sit next to Don and found I had a site line to Ted, Sam, Dylan, Nipper, Adam, which filled my heart with glowing thumps.
    . Food was a bit .... entre, Alaskan Crab (what is wrong with Australian I say!!) on one of those towers of tomato and cucumber, which I liked a lot. Bread rolls were cold. Mains was a dish of mashed potato topped by piece of lamb comfit (soft lamb from what I could see - it was dark), with a lump of sour cream to one side (missed that, it went in one mouthfull, couldn't very well spit it out could I!), and a tiny cluster of roasted mini vegies, and beans with dark sauce. Not bad, but I could have had more. Desert was as far as I am concerned, disappointing. Long plate with a glass of caramel cream, a tiny quinelle of cream, and a cold chocolate pudding that I used a knife on to break. Extremely hard for a pudding and desparately rich. Gave up halfway through. Cold coffee and a little chocolate square followed. There you go, that's what you missed.
    . Table decorations; again a mirror tile in the middle with a heavy fishbowl in the middle which had about three or four strands of those tiny orchids in white and reddish (purple) wound around the inner face. I am going to take that into my decorator handbook for the future; it was a good look and easy to achieve. This was highlighted with tea lights, and each table had a spot light over it which went down when the visuals came on, and up when we needed some light.

. Adam Spencer is a gem. He was the MC and really knew how to ask the boys leading questions that didn't lead them into unchartered territory. He is the best CC MC we have ever had.
    . Note: all the boys receiving awards spoke well.

I need more coffee......if I think of anything more I will get back to you.

I do believe that Al and Wardy wobbled off well before I did. Please note the wobble reference. I say no more.
    Last edited by Primmy; 8th October 2011 at 09:48 AM.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Forgot to mention; Jarrad McVeigh didn't attend; he and his wife took off overseas for some quiet time alone, and there was a gentle buzz of agreement and empathy from the whole room.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Reggi View Post
    Only say's what we already know...

Gary Rohan [2yr or 3yr contract extension reported but not verified]

I'd have expected one of the attendees last night to verify it once and for all. There has been too much confusion over it and I'd sleep better knowing for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    Luke's father is also a great bloke. Told him that I thought Luke was of the same ilk as Daryn Cresswell (bless him he wasn't sure who that was....)
    Maybe just as well. I hope you stressed a likeness in a football sense.

terrific night and as I had taken precautions and Berrocered up prior to attending, and remembered to when I got back to the hotel, I feel surprisingly well.

the venue was the perfect fit, and even though we were at the side, - we were near the beverage trolly!!! the wait staff were wonderful.

All the lads did well, and yes my heart did have a flutter or two at the very mention of Joshua P's name, but he did so well as did Rhyce, who, like Josh is jsut so happy to be at our club, life for them is good.

Adam Goodes - man what a class act - he is indeed the Goodes.

Tom Harley was a real surprise - but a good surprise none the less.

Adam Spencer, as Prims said was wonderful - it should be gazetted in the Club rules that he gets the gig each year.

I didnt go up to any players for hugs, I left that to Primmy - and she didnt let the side down!!! (and if truth be told I was speaking chinese by that stage!)

Great company with Dimelb, Anne, Susan, Prims & Big Al. Next year Bas, you will be attending!!!!

Our club CC dinners are getting better each year - it is a must attend (if you get the chance).
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    Fabulous Primmy!

Veterans List
    We spoke to a few players but not Rohan.

TDL - has signed for another two years. says he knows what he has to do to be ready to play seniors.

Spoke to Jesse for a while - very nice man. Seemed as frustrated by his inconsistency as we are. said he's not taking a brwak as he want to train up to be ready to resume training as he said coming in late this season cost him fitness when he needed it.

Jude - signed for next year, got a dubious hand wave for after that.

Teddy - he sat with us for trivia so I know him a bit. I said I gave up on the team after the Tigers game and he said he knew how I felt and they were in the rooms after the game saying "what the hell happened - and how do we make sure it doesn't happen again?" Agreed that it might be the game that turns the whole teams thinking around to go up to the next level.

Spang - only heard of the Stayin' Alive strut thing when Teddy found it and showed him. Nice guy, loving Sydney and the Swans.

Mike Pyke - heading back to Canada for the break as his sister (?) has just had a baby. Hoping that he and Mummy team up next year with Mike as alternate ruckman.

Mummy said he came back for training a bit overweight this year so is determined not to do it again this time.

It was a very relaxed night I thought. And a lot less speeches than last year's big retirements. The players were even more relaxed than usual and all were up for a chat. Of course, Goodes was surrounded but handled it with really good humour and patience. My wife greatly admires him but doesn't want to appear a groupie. I told Adam that and gave him her name and said I'd try to bring her over later. When I did (her with great reluctance) he greeted her by name and chatted with her for a while then even took my IPhone to fix the camera when it froze at the wrong moment. Where's Steve Jobs when you need him? Talking to Adam was a great way to end the night so we left about the time the party animals were moving into high gear.

But that leaves out Rhyce Shaw. Yes the dancing was entertaining and he was certainly putting on the moves. His speech was very funny - especially about how his parents went to the Gold Coast instead of attending and he hoped they were having a great time up there. It was worthy of note the number of other players who mentioned him in their speeches - you got the feeling that he's the glue that holds the group so closely together.

Didn't talk to Nick Smith or Sam Reid but they came across as really nice kids, who both spoke very well.

Geez Bobby Skilton is short! And Barry Round is huge and shows some excellent nominative determinism.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast