Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 6 years ago today, where were you?

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    the "unholy trinity" (ie Aussie Ange, Tammy & Me) Ange's hubby, Tams 6 weeks to go baby in the womb & Kev & Bec, were on level 1 Olympic stand row 32 - we christened the brand new loos with our pre game nervous pee. Drank champagne - with a Four N Twenty of course - almost got into a fight with a WC supporter who though it would be real smart to take a photo of the "unholies" looking less than impressed when WC were infront, lets just say never cross a pregnant woman - When we got in front again Tam lept from her seat - poked the bloke with her flag stick, and gave him a gob full that he wouldnt have forgotten very quickly- she blames the hormones of course - met up on the way out with a old Boyfriend (from 20 years prior) who was very drunk coming out of the MCC area - he spotted me in the crowd and I heard that familiar bellow "gidday tits!!! Hows about that @@@@@@ leapin Leo?" I do have classy friends - we then went to the Marriott for more bubbly then headed down to St Kilda for dinner and more champagne!!! - fantastic driving back up the Hume the next day - scarf hanging out the window - life was mighty fine!
    That story took a few twists.

So you'd you head to the Marriot with, the unholy trinity or 'gidday tits'??
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Regular in the Side
    MCC Members, Section M40, Row Z, Seat 17. Forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Season 2005 - Premiership Season - RWOwiki, Sydney Swans Wiki,Sydney Swans Season 2005

I was in the MCC bar trying to settle my really bad nerves.
    I was in the same shout with the same sphincter issues. Petri-@@@@@@@@@-fied.
    Insert Your Life [HERE]

This time five years ago ... I was still a little tipsy!
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mocaholic View Post
    I was in the same shout with the same sphincter issues. Petri-@@@@@@@@-fied.
    hopefully we'll get to continue that shout one day.

Warming the Bench
    I was on a flight home from Bali. I watched the first quarter in the terminal and had to be dragged onto the plane haha

The Captain was nice enough to tell everyone on the plane the final scores. Then I went home and watched it 3 times in a row

Long Term Injury List
    Quote Originally Posted by Number 43 View Post
    Sat in the MCG in a state of shock for an hour after the game...as a result couldn't get in to the celebrations at Punt Road. Headed down to South Melbourne and there were supporters on the streets everywhere. Went to a packed South Melbourne pub (forgotten which one) and watched a replay of the game. The crowd lived and breathed the game as if it was happennig for the first time. Lots of cheering and breaking into the club song. At one point John Rantall walked into the pub with some friends and the whole place went nuts....it was like the old and new bloods finally coming together.
    Number43 this is almost identical to our after match celebration. The pub is called The Bell. I was there with my Dad (celebrating his 76th birthday) and my son, we were joined by family friends who couldn't be at the 'G' but drove from all over melbourne to meet us there. We went to The Bell to watch the 'away' games on the big screen through the season so it was the logical place to go after the game. Every time someone entered the bar the whole place sang 'Cheer, Cheer...' all over again. When 'Mopsey' arrived I thought the roof was going to lift off. My Dad celebrated his 82nd this weekend by watching the whole final series start to finish with my son!

On the Rookie List
    After much hugs and kisses from complete strangers at the G, and bumping into Mums twin brother (really thought the St Johns first aid course was going to pay off big time), also leaving handbag at stand whilst buying premiership t-shirts (and it still being there 20 minutes later!!!), and then tramming to somewhere for drinks with aunt, and then catching train to Belgrave (family haunt), was probs with daughter standing at cab rank with lots of supportive beeps etc. Bit of a surprise from the Belgrave crowd, not a switchblade or broken bottle to be seen! Gotta love grand final day. Also hit Bridge rd shops the next day, still had face paint on.

One of the best days ever, young'un thinks it would never be the same, would love to test that theory out.
    I'm not arrogant, I'm right

Blog Entries
    I failed to make it into Punt Road, as did many others, but it was nice wandering through the carpark where many were still savouring the victory with random renditions of "cheer cheer" ringing out around the park. Everyone was jovial and ready to have a chat. A good evening!!

This has got me reminiscing about after the game. After crying and hugging and kissing complete strangers......after my wife of course we headed out of the ground, gave some guy on crutches a lift through the carpark to Punt Road Oval. Decided it was to crowded for 6 month pregnant wife to stand up there for hours. Headed into the city and China Town. Found a table in a Chinese Restaurant....then realised there was a WCE function upstairs. Another table of Swans supporters came in and we were all up for another rendition of Cheer Cheer.

As we walked back to tha car afterwards random strangers, not Swans supporters, would shake our hands and congratulate us. Then we headed home where my wife videoed me singing "We are the Champions". I don't drink, but you would have sworn I was drunk when I watched it back the next day!!!!

All in all a memorable day which I hope to be able to repeat with my kids one day.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

One of the greatest days of my life. We had plans to drive to Qld the day after the game on a family holiday so going to the game meant I had to go down and back in the day. I initially said "no" to the friend who was getting tickets, then moped around for an hour and called him back to say "yes". I flew down on the 7am flight with another friend. We had out first beer in the terminal waiting for our flight. Headed from Tullamarine to the Cricketer's Arms in Punt Road to meet our other friends. I had a standing room ticket, and we found a spot handy to the bar with a decent view and enjoyed some good natured banter with Eagles supporters standing around us all afternoon (it was 50/50 where we were). Down to the boundary after the game for the presentation and the lap of honour then jumped a cab, back to the airport, flew home, had a few with some drunken Tigers supporters at my local on the way home (they had just knocked the Dragons out of the NRL finals that evening). Then home and into the car to head north at 9am the next morning. What a day.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

On the Rookie List
    A grand weekend! My motorcycle had fuelling issues so I had to take the bus down. NEVER again, I'm 6'2" and spent most of the journey lying in the aisle. Met Ben at Barassi's pub before the game, we were in standing room back under the stand at the Punt Rd end. Tremendous match! Couldn't hear the siren, only knew we'd won when the Swans started jumping on each other. Went to the Station Hotel for some rock and roll later - bizarre but appropriate, Sydney bands were playing, Celibate Rifles and Hard Ons. Sunday I hung out at the Art Gallery before (shudder!) the bus home.
    A perfect Melbourne weekend, really. Footy, live music, art.

Veterans List
    It's nice to reminisce. Unlike Leeroy, my bike was running fine and I had had just started down the Hume Highway on Thursday when I went past a car with Swans flags and scarves that turned out to be driven by Wardy. The suitcase on the back of my bike had a big "Go Swans" sign that is still there today - it's been around the world about five times. Stayed with a non-footy friend in Melbourne that night then went to the Grand Final Parade on the Friday then lunch with footy (mainly Blues) mates then ended up in a series of South Melbourne pubs that night.

On the day of the game I moved to stay with a work colleague who is an old South Melbourne fan. I met friends for breakfast but was so nervous I thought I'd throw up. Des had organised our tickets and I was near Old RoyBoy. I remember little of the game but said "If we win, I think it'll be without scoring another goal" in those last few minutes and was shushed as everyone thought I said we'd win. The siren was lost in a daze of hugging, kissing and crying. I remember looking around and seeing literally thousands of Swans fans with tears rolling down their cheeks as we sang. As I said to ORB the next week at the B&F "I've never hugged a man the way I hugged you when we won".

I had to get a tram back to my host's to change for the Premiership dinner. I walked into the ballroom with Jolly and I said to him "I bet you're glad you left Melbourne now?" and he replied "Who's Melbourne?" and walked in with his arms around me. That night was a blur but I got pics of Nicky D and the KFC (sorry Nick) and ended up on stage after the formalities holding the Cup with Stewie (another pic). I spent ages talking to Delta Goodrem, too (I'm almost sorry about pushing Brian McFadden out of the way to talk to Kel). And I talked to just about everyone else in the room. It was the early hours and Magic was leaving with his family and was pretty boozed when we were heading out. But alcohol intake is all relative to Jason Ball who was very drunk and very funny. We went down the escalator and into the street with Brett Kirk who was heading back to their rooms to keep partying. We couldn't find a cab for ages so largely walked home and picked up the morning papers on the way home and read them till after dawn.

I turned up at Lake Oval a bit late the next morning but saw some of the players before they flew back to the SCG reception.

I rode the bike back up to Sydney, smiling and singing Cheer Cheer most of the way. Lots of red and white on the Hume that day. Then next week a friend called to say she could get me into the official press area at the Town Hall for the victory parade. It was a huge crowd that showed what the Swans meant to Sydney. Then there was a joyful B&F. It was one of the very best months of my life.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast