Thread: Congratulations Port Melbourne VFL Premiers 2011

Congratulations Port Melbourne VFL Premiers 2011

A huge effort from a "Stand alone" Club to go through the year undefeated.

Living in 2005
    Well done Port and Gary Ayres, amazing effort in any competition to go undefeated and then back it up on GF day.

Some advantages to being stand alone for culture and team harmony though, know some people at two aligned VFL clubs who spend half the year managing issues from VFL only listed players missing out on games when AFL listed players have to come back through the system.

Blog Entries
    After the first 15 mins, we were ready to leave.
    Willy were far too slick, and port struggle to get the ball forward.
    Cheese was pretty prominent playing at fullback. Spoiling and driving the ball forward.
    Willy could do no wrong, and Port manage a couple of goals to stem the flow but it wasn't looking good.
    Port had not turned up to play. Reminded me of another team well all love.
    But after 1/4 time Port just turn on a display. They started winning the clearances, and the Willy players all went to water, and things started to go Ports way.
    The ball handling was much cleaner, even better than the few previous games I went to.
    Cheese just went out of the game. Did a few more good things, but made me realise why we gave up on him.
    Willy managed to hang in there. A few late goals in the 3rd had them back in the game. But the last term belonged to Port.
    An Outstanding achievement. Not only a Non affiliated team, but to go undefeated all season, is an extreme effort.

HUGE WIN, in the end.

Goodsey was there to cheer on his little bro, and was interviewed at half time.

Funniest thing was watching the security trying to stop the crowd invading the ground.
    They had no hope, and eventually conceded and opened the gate.
    First time I've ever been on the ground.

A great afternoon!!

Yep well done to the mighty Port Melbourne.

29 years is a long wait for a premiership for this club. but this one is probably one of the sweetest. A bunch of no names have delivered what many thought was impossible for a stand alone club, and to do it by going through the season undefeated, is an awesome achievement.

Well done Port!!