Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Planning for father / sons

Veterans List
    Just saw that Boomers missus is in the club. You would reckon North supporters will be hanging on the news in 11 weeks.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    I remember when the Swans developed an allegience with the Swifts a few years back it was suggested we should 'introduce' a few of our potential 100+ gamers to a selection of the more athletic girls in the Swifts.

The guys would have to pledge that if the resultant offspring was a boy they would do all in their power to develop them as future Swans.

For the girls part, we would give them seasons tickets, a cap and a scarf so everybody would know who they root for...
    POST OF THE YEAR!!!
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

I remember when the Swans developed an allegience with the Swifts a few years back it was suggested we should 'introduce' a few of our potential 100+ gamers to a selection of the more athletic girls in the Swifts.

The guys would have to pledge that if the resultant offspring was a boy they would do all in their power to develop them as future Swans.

For the girls part, we would give them seasons tickets, a cap and a scarf so everybody would know who they root for...
    Lol'd

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    I was chatting to someone about Bryce Gibbs the other day, he initially qualified under the old SANFL and WAFL F & S rules, but the year before his draft the rules change to 200 games for players in those comps I think. How @@@@ty would you be, growing up KNOWING you were going to be playing for the club you go for and get to stay home, only for the rules to change!!
    i don't know what you guys are on about, Ross Gibbs played 253 games for Glenelg in the SANFL & I saw most of them, a f'ing great player who drifted down from the backpocket to kick goals. The only player in the SANFL to kick 5 goals playing as a back pocket. Kicked 8 if i remember rightly as a RR. So Bryce could have played for the Crows but did not pick him as first draft choice (a balls up) and Carlton (who had first pick) got him. the Crows went for his Glenelg team mate James Sellar who as far as I know failed to play a game. There was confusion as to the AFL rules on father/son for interstate clubs at the time and under the rules at the time because his father only played for Glenelg & not Crows he may not have been elegable. Still not sure on that one but I think either a Crows stuff up or the father/son rules only in reality applied to the VFL or ex-VFL clubs, not a level playing field.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    i don't know what you guys are on about, Ross Gibbs played 253 games for Glenelg in the SANFL & I saw most of them, a f'ing great player who drifted down from the backpocket to kick goals. The only player in the SANFL to kick 5 goals playing as a back pocket. Kicked 8 if i remember rightly as a RR. So Bryce could have played for the Crows but did not pick him as first draft choice (a balls up) and Carlton (who had first pick) got him. the Crows went for his Glenelg team mate James Sellar who as far as I know failed to play a game. There was confusion as to the AFL rules on father/son for interstate clubs at the time and under the rules at the time because his father only played for Glenelg & not Crows he may not have been elegable. Still not sure on that one but I think either a Crows stuff up or the father/son rules only in reality applied to the VFL or ex-VFL clubs, not a level playing field.
    AFL changed the rules, the qualifying games had to be during a certain time period and Bryce did not qualify as a F/S for the cows, nothing to do with Sellar

So Bryce could have played for the Crows but did not pick him as first draft choice (a balls up) and Carlton (who had first pick) got him. the Crows went for his Glenelg team mate James Sellar who as far as I know failed to play a game. There was confusion ....
    and confusion still lingers with some.....
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

No, that's not right, Wolftone. Gibbs went #1 pick to Carlton...Sellar was about #15 when Adelaide had their first pick. I believe it has to do with the TIMING of the games....had to play 200 games within a certain date window....something to do with when Adelaide entered the comp....so possibly games after 1988 don't count...or something. Anyway - was robbed :-)
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Yeah, the Crows have had what, a grand total of 0 father sons. Carlton we're lucky - Murphy could've been a Lion yeah, and Gibbs in S,A.

As for us, Nick Davis played 98? I think Schneider 98 also.

Just wild about Harry
    What gets me most is that Roosey's kids qualify for Brisbane.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    What gets me most is that Roosey's kids qualify for Brisbane.
    Really? Why? I understand the Fitzroy connection, but aren't we allowed to combine the games played and games coached?
    Last edited by dimelb; 27th September 2011 at 05:09 PM.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Really? Why? I understand the Fitzroy connection, but aren't we allowed to combine the games played and games coached?
    I'm pretty sure we can't do that, but as the Roos boys are in the Acadamy, they can decline an offer from Brisbane and we get a free shot at them thanks to the Acadamy.

On the Rookie List

I am not sure this always works. How is Stephie Graf and Andre Agassi's kid going at tennis? Should be world number 1 going on genetics. Didn't Hitler try something similar and that didn't work either?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast