Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Planning for father / sons

Planning for father / sons

Just a thought... I'm a little bored...

If a Swan is reaching the end of his career but has only played 90-99 games, is it ever worth getting him to 100 games so that ... on the chance the have a son, and that son is a potential champion, and that champion son actually wants to be a Swan, we can get them under the father son rule?

eg If your team was bottom 3, with 5 games to go for the season, and you had a 33yo player who was struggling badly with form but had played 97 games, that player had a set of triplets who were all boys plus two other older sons, would you play the dad for 3 of those last 5 games no matter how bad his form (or severe his injury) so that you could potentially get a crack at one if his sons?

I realize that many just have daughters, many sons are nowhere near the talent of their fathers, some sons don't want to play for the same teams as their dads, and that it's very difficult to carry a player with such small team lists. But I'll bet the Crows wish that Brice Gibbs' dad went on for another season or two.

Our 90-99 game players include: Lockett (I think he only has girls at this stage ... but if they end up his size & strength, you never know, they might be the first women to play in the AFL...and, yes I'm KIDDING!), Scwass, Greg Smith, Jason Mooney, Neil Cordy, David Bolton, Paul Morwood. Some good genes there.

This should be on the Bulldogs board...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Its about time Goodsy did something about having a few sons........he's not getting any younger !!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    This should be on the Bulldogs board...
    Didn't know he had a kid.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Its about time Goodsy did something about having a few sons........he's not getting any younger !!
    Don't let AnnieH hear you say that.

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Just a thought... I'm a little bored...

If a Swan is reaching the end of his career but has only played 90-99 games, is it ever worth getting him to 100 games so that ... on the chance the have a son, and that son is a potential champion, and that champion son actually wants to be a Swan, we can get them under the father son rule?

eg If your team was bottom 3, with 5 games to go for the season, and you had a 33yo player who was struggling badly with form but had played 97 games, that player had a set of triplets who were all boys plus two other older sons, would you play the dad for 3 of those last 5 games no matter how bad his form (or severe his injury) so that you could potentially get a crack at one if his sons?

I realize that many just have daughters, many sons are nowhere near the talent of their fathers, some sons don't want to play for the same teams as their dads, and that it's very difficult to carry a player with such small team lists. But I'll bet the Crows wish that Brice Gibbs' dad went on for another season or two.

Our 90-99 game players include: Lockett (I think he only has girls at this stage ... but if they end up his size & strength, you never know, they might be the first women to play in the AFL...and, yes I'm KIDDING!), Scwass, Greg Smith, Jason Mooney, Neil Cordy, David Bolton, Paul Morwood. Some good genes there.
    You're right! So if Neil Cordy married Paul Morwood and had six boys then we could fill our backline!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Don't let AnnieH hear you say that.
    Don't worry Scott.
    At least once a year I say to Goodesy ... HURRY UP ... you're not getting any younger.
    I normally say it in front of Lisa May ... just so she can back me up (although, she does say that she's too young to be a grandmother).
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Living in 2005
    I was chatting to someone about Bryce Gibbs the other day, he initially qualified under the old SANFL and WAFL F & S rules, but the year before his draft the rules change to 200 games for players in those comps I think. How @@@@ty would you be, growing up KNOWING you were going to be playing for the club you go for and get to stay home, only for the rules to change!!

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    I was chatting to someone about Bryce Gibbs the other day, he initially qualified under the old SANFL and WAFL F & S rules, but the year before his draft the rules change to 200 games for players in those comps I think. How @@@@ty would you be, growing up KNOWING you were going to be playing for the club you go for and get to stay home, only for the rules to change!!
    From memory the Crows were every bit as @@@@ty as well...

I remember when the Swans developed an allegience with the Swifts a few years back it was suggested we should 'introduce' a few of our potential 100+ gamers to a selection of the more athletic girls in the Swifts.

The guys would have to pledge that if the resultant offspring was a boy they would do all in their power to develop them as future Swans.

For the girls part, we would give them seasons tickets, a cap and a scarf so everybody would know who they root for...

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    You're right! So if Neil Cordy married Paul Morwood and had six boys then we could fill our backline!
    And if Daniel Currie married Stephanie Rice she would be Stephanie Currie 'n' Rice.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    And if Daniel Currie married Stephanie Rice she would be Stephanie Currie 'n' Rice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast