Thread: Premiership medallions

Premiership medallions

Every year there are hard luck stories of players who miss out on premiership medals (take Derrek Kickett at the Bombers ... played the whole season and dropped for the Grand Final).

And the whole team actually contributes throughout the season even guys who don't play a senior game. Whatever their form is like, it is still they yardstick for the next best player and so on which increases the overall talent of the squad which gets them the ultimate prize.

Do clubs (or perhaps should clubs) mint their own special premiership medals for all players & coaching staff to commemorate the premiership, to acknowledge their contribution for that special season? If you were a Swans' rookie listed player in 2005, you were part of a special year and in your own way did contribute, but don't have anything to show for it (well, I guess you have your gurnsey and are in the team photo...)

Pushing for Selection
    I to was thinking about this again yesterday.
    Seems so unfair that players who have contributed to the team being in the grand final in the first place totally miss out.
    I was in the UK a couple of months ago and visited Manchester United's ground. I noted that more players than played in their winning final last season received premiers medals. I think if the player plays more than 10 games in a season they receive one as well. I think that is about a third of the games in the season, not sure but I think they play around 30 matches to get to the premiership. (Don't follow soccer so could be totally off.)
    I have thought it for years and think it would be a good thing for the AFL to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by janem View Post
    I to was thinking about this again yesterday.
    Seems so unfair that players who have contributed to the team being in the grand final in the first place totally miss out.
    I was in the UK a couple of months ago and visited Manchester United's ground. I noted that more players than played in their winning final last season received premiers medals. I think if the player plays more than 10 games in a season they receive one as well. I think that is about a third of the games in the season, not sure but I think they play around 30 matches to get to the premiership. (Don't follow soccer so could be totally off.)
    I have thought it for years and think it would be a good thing for the AFL to look at.
    Not sure a player who didn't play on the big day would want a medal anyway. Premiership medals should only be handed out to players that won a premiership. Since we rely on one game to decide the premier then medals should only go to players playing in the GF. While that may seem unfair to some players, that's sport in view. Winners are usually in the right place at the right time.
    Last edited by Big Al; 2nd October 2011 at 09:23 PM.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Not sure a player who didn't play on the big day would want a medal anyway. Premiership medals should only be handed out to players that won a premiership. Since we rely on one game to decide the premier then medals should only go to players playing in the GF. While that may seem unfair to some players that's sport in view. Winners are usually in the right place at the right time.

Mmm...I know what you're saying. In my mind though, to get to the GF is a huge team effort. The team may not be there without the help of the players that miss out. Mooney and Milburn were the only two Cats in tears yesterday. I know it's not all about "the medal" but they won't be in the history books as being part of the 2011 winning team yet they are part of the team. Seems a shame to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Not sure a player who didn't play on the big day would want a medal anyway. Premiership medals should only be handed out to players that won a premiership. Since we rely on one game to decide the premier then medals should only go to players playing in the GF. While that may seem unfair to some players that's sport in view. Winners are usually in the right place at the right time.
    I was thinking more along the lines of, the players who play on the day get the traditional premiership medal.

The clubs (or the AFL) mint a different "Premiership Season" medal that goes to significant contributors to the premiership campaign.

The idea of clubs inventing their own medal seems pretty random. Every kid gets a gold star now but I'd hate to see this in footy.
    Superman still wears Brett Kirk Pyjamas

It's a tough one for guys like Dan Menzel, who is a young man doing well, then did his knee in the first final and is out for a year. He would have been there yesterday, but for the fickle finger of fate dealing him with a knee re-co.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

It is a hard call on players that miss out. However all those players that helped the mugpies get into the Grand Final but didn't play yesterday, were of little use to them.

There are many hard luck stories in finals. For me Tony Modra doing his ACL in the Preliminary final in 97. I don't think he ever played for the Crows again but it was his boot that pretty well got them there.

There was Derek Kickett and plenty of others that I can't remember now.

On the other hand , Cameroon Mooney got his first premiership medal in 99 and played about the last 5 minutes of the game. Footy karma I suppose.

I think that the model won't change in the future.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Living in 2005
    I have changed by view on this theory a number of times over the years, no, I don't think all players who have played that year should get medals (although you can make a case for Stewie Maxfield or Matty Primus in 04 with Port) but I think all players who play in the Grand Final plus the listed emergencies should get medals.

I also think all Assistant Coaches should be awarded a medal also. I find it strange that only the Coach gets recognised when it's accepted now that Assistant Coaches have an incredible influence over the success of a team.

Everyone associated with the club from the CEO to the boot studder is going to ecstatic about a premiership. A piece of metal isn't going to change that. While there are players that are going to be disappointed about not being at the big dance, they are still part of a premiership club and for that, they should still be proud.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

I'm also from the school that would be extremely surprised if the players themselves would like a medal if they were not in the 22 on the day...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Senior Player
    I believe Robbie Slater played only 18 games for Blackburn , yet still got a Premiership medal in 1995.

Leon Davis got a Premiership medal even though he was dropped for last year's replay.
    Although he had a quiet game , he kicked a goal - without him , they'd have lost.

If you argue that an AFL Premiership victory is based on the whole season , then sure , everyone who played , say , ten games should get a medal.
    If though it is considered a "knock-out" game on GF day , then I guess only those who played in the GF (draw or replay) should get a medal.
    I favour the former : the "Stuey/Primus" argument is valid.

What I would not like to see , is what happened a few years ago in England :
    Some forty years later , squad members who didn't play a single match were given winners' medals for the 1966 Soccer World Cup victory.
    That's silly . Good luck to those who got their medal this way , but they know they did not really earn them.