Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2011 International Rules

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    This International Rules is a joke and a waste of time and money...............a pathetic nothing game

I won't be on the Walsh bandwagon until I see him actually play AFL footy. I'm too busy driving the Chops bus anyway.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

I'm on the bandwagon. Can't tell much from last night's game but he will be a physical presence and that's a start.

I will NOT NOT NOT miss that bloody channel 10 last 5 minute warning clock. Nor will I miss 10.

It gives the players something special to do and build some extra friendships. However I imagine the concept might be shelved again.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Happy and I know it
    I watched last night's game today. I'm nearly on that bandwagon with you Bas. Can't wait to see him play with a Sherrin.

Imagine if Judd, Dale Thomas and some serious counter attack backs (Ryoli etc) played and if we popped Buddy Franklin up front - we would have given them a good run for their money at a game we have now idea how to play !
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    I think the larger contingent of players with AFL experience in the Irish team has helped them to match Australia in the fitness and physicality stakes, I know the IR series will always have its detractors but I still believe it is good for both codes. Australia got the balance terribly wrong in picking a very young squad and probably went too small, I don't know whether that has more to do with unavailability of players in the off-season though. But I think that overall for AFL players to experience playing for their country is beneficial.

On the other side, even though the GAA clubs might not be happy about losing players to AFL, the way I see it, with the Irish economy the way it is (Michael Lewis, the author of 'Moneyball', paints a fairly grim picture here -- the country is now full of abandoned construction sites and "ghost estates", where you can literally see the moment the money ran out and the building stopped) giving a handful of young Irish prospects each year the chance to make a living playing professional sport, albeit in a foreign land, is an opportunity that they might not otherwise have if they stayed home, and at least gives them something else to aspire to.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xie Shan View Post
    I think the larger contingent of players with AFL experience in the Irish team has helped them to match Australia in the fitness and physicality stakes, I know the IR series will always have its detractors but I still believe it is good for both codes. Australia got the balance terribly wrong in picking a very young squad and probably went too small, I don't know whether that has more to do with unavailability of players in the off-season though. But I think that overall for AFL players to experience playing for their country is beneficial.

On the other side, even though the GAA clubs might not be happy about losing players to AFL, the way I see it, with the Irish economy the way it is (Michael Lewis, the author of 'Moneyball', paints a fairly grim picture here -- the country is now full of abandoned construction sites and "ghost estates", where you can literally see the moment the money ran out and the building stopped) giving a handful of young Irish prospects each year the chance to make a living playing professional sport, albeit in a foreign land, is an opportunity that they might not otherwise have if they stayed home, and at least gives them something else to aspire to.
    Nicely said.
    And for all the pooh-poohing, I think International Rules is actually just an attractive code to watch. It draws on a wide range of skills, there is plenty of pace and movement and it is usually pretty close (last night excepted). I enjoy watching it as a gme for its own sake. I'd watch it voluntarily even if I didn't have any knowledge of anyone involved.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Living in 2005
    Hate seeing AFL Players playing with a round ball. Really hate it, but if we are going to do it, our best AFL players should play, not a team of players that are meant to be better at this hybrid code. I think the numbers last night probably spoke for the majority of AFL fans and the International Rules concept.

Saw enough of Walsh last night to know he can stand his ground, is mobile and knows where the goals are. Now a great preseason in the harbour city with the sherrin and see what he can deliver!

Veterans List
    So THAT'S Tommy Walsh. Worth pick 36 every day of the week from what I saw, albeit with the round ball and different rules. You could just see that he's going to be a great pick up. No wonder my Saints friends are spewing they lost him.

I think we just need to have faith and play him, he could be the answer we're looking for up forward.

Really enjoyed the hybrid game, great skills on display and wasn't Tadgh excellent and the general of their team. Well deserved win to the Irish.

Judd, Goodes, Cloke, Swan, Pendlebury....just to name a few who should be playing. I mean...Robinson, King, Wood, Shiels, Monfries.....these type of guys are not even in the top 100 AFL players. Very weird.
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    I mean...Robinson, King, Wood, Shiels, Monfries.....these type of guys are not even in the top 100 AFL players. Very weird.
    Turned a serious game into an Irish Joke.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    Judd, Goodes, Cloke, Swan, Pendlebury....just to name a few who should be playing. I mean...Robinson, King, Wood, Shiels, Monfries.....these type of guys are not even in the top 100 AFL players. Very weird.
    After dominating last time around, I wonder what the odds were that Goodes was asked to play, told Rocket would coach and said "errrr, no"
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast