Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Delistings thread (merged) - 4 senior players delisted

I think the chances of Bev going to GWS are 500/1.

Veterans List
    Very sorry to see Bevo delisted, a guy with limited ability but a 100% blood brother to the core and one of only 22 Premiership players. Loved your style Bevo, all the best.

You need to look at the delistings in the overall list make up. You only need so many back up players. Do a little exercise and put together your best 22 then see who doesn't make that list and you'll find quite a number of names that surprise you.

So you only need enough of those to cover injuries, the rest need to be young developing players, hopefully one or two may surprise and turn into guns.

It looks like we will have a stab at someone in the PSD even though GWS have the first 50 picks!

We will also be refreshing the rookie list, with Academy players I wonder?

Glad to see Heath given a lifeline, he shows a bit despite a shocking run of knee injuries.

So an interesting wait awaits!

Yes, Bevan tried hard and all that but I'm certainly not sad to see him go. I wish him all the best though and I hope Sheedy picks him up otherwise I can't see him getting a gig.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Regular in the Side
    Delisting so many surprised me (especially as this draft is supposed to be shallow) would have been better to do the bare minimum and keep the rest until next yr when the draft pool is supposed to be better. Currie and Heath surprissed me for this year I would have thought it better to see is they improve particularly Currie (and I know you will say we have Seaby and Pyke) but he did win the conference B&F.
    UNLESS we have our eyes on someone for the PSD>

lwj, I see your location is Melbourne, so you probably haven't seen many ressies games. We do have some talent in the toppies. I would be seriously disappointed if at least two if not three are not picked up on the rookie list. Locals, good quality, got better and better as the year progressed (this year under Henry's guidance, they kept the same toppies week in week out, and it paid dividends). They trained with the seniors in the drills, everyone knew each other's names, they were treated as part of the team. In other words, these kids had their own private combine all year through. It will be interesting to see if it pays dividends.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

i agree Primmy in principle

but watching high lights of the SANFL and VFL etc our comp looks pretty low level at a ressies level.........therefore a little hard to gauge our toppies readiness ?

but the academy is an awesome idea and process for developing talent !
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

The Currie delisting is a little disappointing.
    He certainly showed improvement this year.
    Given he can play forward as well as ruck, the sub rule would seem to suit him.
    I would of thought ,if he was worth keeping for the last few years, then he was certainly worth keeping for at least one more.
    Injuries, and Seaby not being moved on, obviously crueled him.
    Wouldn't be surprised to see him end up on another clubs list.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Regular in the Side
    just 2 every yr for the last couple of yrs. just because I live in Melb doesnt mean I cant read comments on ressies games and this matched with what I have seen tells me that there only a few at this stage ready for promotion. Murphy is one (plays like his dad) and maybe potter (noted he voted in a number of games) , Our reserves games are a long way from AFL std and even VFA where most clubs have there reserves play. Ok for rookies list maybe. I have been following swans and a member for over 50 yrs. so I do know a bit about the game.

Veteran Site Admin
    While there is no dispute that the NEAFL is a lower standard than the VFL, SANFL or WAFL, it is generally only the very best 17 and 18 year old draftees that play senior SANFL or WAFL before they get drafted. And it is generally just the odd NSW scholarship holder that the Vic clubs are able to play in their VFL sides. The rest spend their pre-draft years playing WAFL colts, SANFL U18s (or is it U19s?), TAC Cup, school footy and National U18 championships footy. So it is very hard to make direct comparisons between our scholarship / Academy players and other draftees purely based on how they have performed in their local competitions to date.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    So it is very hard to make direct comparisons between our scholarship / Academy players and other draftees purely based on how they have performed in their local competitions to date.
    I was talking to Josh Barty's Dad a few weeks ago and he was telling me about Josh's experience in the trials against interstate teams etc. The interstate players are so far advanced over the NSW boys that it isn't funny. That's in the way they play and their physical condition.

The major standouts of our Academy boys were both Josh and Jim but then they both work very very hard to get to where they are now.

I noted that James Webster who was on the bombers rookies list has just been released. James is a Central Coast boy pre - Swans academy. There are a few of the U16's experiments left in the system but you can see how hard it is for them to make it because NSW is just so far behind the other states.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Maybe its time for a Swans TAC side. I know, I know it would cost too much ect ect. You'd reckon with the AFL making 50 Gazillion bucks a year they would support something like that for the good of NSW development.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Maybe its time for a Swans TAC side. I know, I know it would cost too much ect ect. You'd reckon with the AFL making 50 Gazillion bucks a year they would support something like that for the good of NSW development.
    I want the old reserve grade back.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast