Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swans forwards of 2005 compared with today

On the Rookie List swans_premiers's Avatar
    If you're trying to work out how far away our current forward line is to premiership material you're much better off comparing to recent premiers Geelong and Collingwood rather than our 2005 as that was just exceptional.
    Adam Goodes: Rising Star 99, Brownlow 2003, 2006
    Swans Premiers 1909, 1918,1933,2005, 2012

Lamb isn't much chop (sorry! ) up forward IMO. OK, but Gordon and TDL offer much more I reckon. Lamb's strength when I saw him was in the midfield. Genuine inside/outside midfielder, capable of finding space when there was none, ran brilliant lines, made clever use of the handball and could kick beautifully even as he burst away from the pack. Not great top speed but plenty of acceleration. He may get a few games as a small forward to start with, but I think it will be when he's part of the midfield rotation that he'll cement his place in the side.

I reckon one or both of Gordon and TDL will play that clever medium-forward role that Davis and Magic (who was simultaneously our FF!) played.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Our current forward line is nothing on 2005. If we get a gun midfield then it won't matter.

The forward line of WCE was pretty average and it didn't stop them!

Warming the Bench
    It's a little unfair I think to compare the current forward line to 2005. That group was at the peak of its powers, as was the midfield group delivering to it.

As for the best of all time....?

This was Hawthorn's forward line for the '86 GF.

HF: Gary Buckenara Dermott Brereton John Kennedy
    F: Peter Curran Jason Dunstall John Platten

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    True, a genuinely great lineup. Has there been a better?
    That is a great line up for the Hawks, but IMO, the Brisbane best 18 has to be the most brilliantly balanced ever:

FB: Chris Johnson Mal Michael Chris Scott
    HB: Martin Pike Justin Leppitsch Nigel Lappin
    C: Tim Notting Michael Voss Aaron Shattock
    HF: Jason Akermanis Jonathan Brown Luke Power
    FF: Craig McRae Alastair Lynch Daniel Bradshaw
    Fol: Clark Keating Brad Scott Simon Black

The Shatting Brothers, Notting and Shattock, are probably the only weak points. But they had their break out days, too. And provided plenty of carry.
    C'mon Chels!

Best Swans forward line ever. 1933 Grand Final.

HF: Jim O'Meara Brighton Diggins Peter Reville
    F: Herbie Matthews Bob Pratt Ossie Bertram

Matthews won the Brownlow and was runner up twice, Pratt was the best FF ever and Brighton Diggins was considered the Greatest key position player of the time. Pete Reville was runner up in the Brownlow in 1930. Ossie Bertram was twice a S.A. representative player.

Matthews and Pratt are both AFL Hall of Fame members.
    Last edited by aardvark; 26th October 2011 at 04:50 PM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    Lamb isn't much chop (sorry! ) up forward IMO. OK, but Gordon and TDL offer much more I reckon. Lamb's strength when I saw him was in the midfield. Genuine inside/outside midfielder, capable of finding space when there was none, ran brilliant lines, made clever use of the handball and could kick beautifully even as he burst away from the pack. Not great top speed but plenty of acceleration. He may get a few games as a small forward to start with, but I think it will be when he's part of the midfield rotation that he'll cement his place in the side.

I reckon one or both of Gordon and TDL will play that clever medium-forward role that Davis and Magic (who was simultaneously our FF!) played.
    I've seen Lamb work in the forward line..he reminds me the way he uses space of a young Nic Fosdike..he was man who could do great things when hopelessly hemmed in. I
    'm not saying this kid is as good, just that he utilizes space similarly.

Senior Player

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Best Swans forward line ever. 1933 Grand Final.

HF: Jim O'Meara Brighton Diggins Peter Reville
    F: Herbie Matthews Bob Pratt Ossie Bertram

Matthews won the Brownlow and was runner up twice, Pratt was the best FF ever and Brighton Diggins was considered the Greatest key position player of the time. Pete Reville was runner up in the Brownlow in 1930. Ossie Bertram was twice a S.A. representative player.

Matthews and Pratt are both AFL Hall of Fame members.
    But i don't recall ever seeing Bertram kick with his left foot!

Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    But i don't recall ever seeing Bertram kick with his left foot!

Rnd 9. 24th June 1933 v Fitzroy at the Junction oval we lost 15.7 to 11.12. Hans "Ozzie" Bertram (his real name was Hans) kicked one off the ground in the square with his left foot. Granddad says it was the only time he ever used it in his whole career.

Its worth noting that even with the worlds best forward line we still couldn't kick straight. I wonder how many times in history we have had more scoring shots and lost. Ugg, get on to that will you ????

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Rnd 9. 24th June 1933 v Fitzroy at the Junction oval we lost 15.7 to 11.12. Hans "Ozzie" Bertram (his real name was Hans) kicked one off the ground in the square with his left foot. Granddad says it was the only time he ever used it in his whole career.

Its worth noting that even with the worlds best forward line we still couldn't kick straight. I wonder how many times in history we have had more scoring shots and lost. Ugg, get on to that will you ????
    I remember it well. He actually tripped over the ball, but I guess it could be regarded as a left foot kick.. I concede.

I remember it well. He actually tripped over the ball, but I guess it could be regarded as a left foot kick.. I concede.
    Ozzie would have turned 102 this April and although there is no record of his death its unlikely he is still alive, so I guess we will never know the truth. Sigh !!

You remember something from 1933 well? Wow you must be really old and have a great memory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast