Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swans forwards of 2005 compared with today

On the Rookie List
    The best attacking side I ever saw was the Sturt Football Club of the late 60's that could bang on 10 goal quarters against anyone. When they took Collingwood apart in an end of season game in 1966 Tom Sherrin the Collingwood President said words to the effect" I was amazed at their skill.They would be strong contenders for a VFL premiership" Next year Premiers again they took Carlton apart causing Ron Barassi to label them "certainly one of the top teams in Australia".

Their Full forward Emmy Jones was an incredible kick for goal from wide on the boundary to 50 metres out to snapping in close.A perfect kick 8 kicks for 8 goals I believe in a GF.I can't remember him missing (Iwas just a kid!) Johny Halbert or Rick Schoffs at CHF then Diamond Jim Tilbrook on the flank who was in the Hawkins/Rene Kink mode,Who could ever forget 2 identical goals from the boundary with a reverse banana in a Grand Final from Peter Endersbee or Roger Rigney,Rick Davies in ruck, Bob Shearman in the centre.What a team! Coached by the legendary Jack Oatey

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    I'm very pleased that this post has been started. Time a few people on this site got the message about exactly how crucial Barry Hall was to our 2005 premiership, and what an outstanding player he was. Bottom line - no Hall = no premiership. From 2002 to the final siren in the 2006 Prelim he was arguably the most influential player in the AFL. You can have your Judds and Cousinses and Abletts, but the difference in 2005 was a big key forward who did it when required. We don't have one now, and not many clubs do. While I have my hopes for a couple of our young'uns (g'day Sam, Jesse and Tommy), don't let what happened later obscure what a colossus BBBBH was with us. You can always cover an onballer (hello 2011 Cats) but you there is simply no substiute for a key position gun.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    I hear what you are saying, but watching this last night I was staggered at just how good Buchanan was when he was at his best. Also, Ablett started the season on fire in the middle and was clearing packs and kicking goals (long ones, too). One of the big differences was also the quality of the outside runners like Williams and Fosdike - what a great team.

I guess one thing that encouraged me was the fact that in a lot of the h&a games we were as inaccurate in front of goals as we are today.
    Soooooooooooo right about Buchanan! He was an absolute star in 2005! (Kicking the goal that put us in front in the Grand Final was handy, too!) I was really sorry to see him go but he was never able to reproduce 2005 form for us or Brisbane.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Soooooooooooo right about Buchanan! He was an absolute star in 2005! (Kicking the goal that put us in front in the Grand Final was handy, too!) I was really sorry to see him go but he was never able to reproduce 2005 form for us or Brisbane.
    Could have easliy been Norm Smith winner in 2005 and his 2006 GF was sensational too! Love players who come good when it matters! Its worth carrying them all year for that Premiership game.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    I'm very pleased that this post has been started. Time a few people on this site got the message about exactly how crucial Barry Hall was to our 2005 premiership, and what an outstanding player he was. Bottom line - no Hall = no premiership.
    I would be surprised if anyone thought any differently.

Views towards Hall differ due to his subsequent behaviour. I doubt anyone denies his importance or his brilliance during the peak of his career with us. Indeed, I think it is this that has many of us so disappointed with how things turned out. I wanted to salute him in his final AFL game as a Swan, and shed a tear or two for what would be missed, just as I did for Plugger, Kirk, PK, MickyO, Dunks et al.

So name the AFL team of 2011 that had one (yes one) player in the starting line-up who averages more than one goal per game...yes that would be Adam Goodes of the Sydney Swans!!! 1.1 goals per game!!! Kicking around the 2s is Trent Dennis-Lane at nearly 2 goals per game and soon to be on board is Mitch Morton on 1.5 goals per game. Reid, White, McGlynn and O'Keefe are all just a tiny fraction off one goal per game. I remember when a quality midfielder (like Paul Williams) was expected to average a goal a game. I guess good foot skills would be required though.
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

As a side out of the top four by definition we have some major flaws, like an under-powered forward line and a lack of outside run, but I'm feeling pretty relaxed about it.

The combination of Reid, Walsh, Morton, Lamb and McGlynn, helped by Goodes, O'Keefe, Pyke and Mumford, will carry us into the top four in two or three years.

Their Full forward Emmy Jones was an incredible kick for goal from wide on the boundary to 50 metres out to snapping in close.A perfect kick 8 kicks for 8 goals I believe in a GF.I can't remember him missing (Iwas just a kid!) Johny Halbert or Rick Schoffs at CHF then Diamond Jim Tilbrook on the flank who was in the Hawkins/Rene Kink mode,Who could ever forget 2 identical goals from the boundary with a reverse banana in a Grand Final from Peter Endersbee or Roger Rigney, Rick Davies in ruck, Bob Shearman in the centre.What a team! Coached by the legendary Jack Oatey
    After Jones retired Malcolm Greenslade and then later Ken Whelan were the sharpshooters. Dean Ottens, Mike Nunan and Tony Burgan were also good for a few goals.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    After Jones retired Malcolm Greenslade and then later Ken Whelan were the sharpshooters. Dean Ottens, Mike Nunan and Tony Burgan were also good for a few goals.
    Is Dean Ottens the father of the Cat Ottens? Same size!
    Last edited by Frog; 2nd November 2011 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Fixed quote

Yep, and the younger brother of Luke Ottens, who played a few games for Melbourne in the late 90s.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    Yep, and the younger brother of Luke Ottens, who played a few games for Melbourne in the late 90s.
    Interesting family tree going on there.

It gets interestinger. Ottens sr's best-known exploit was not his checkside rucking under Jack Oatey, but his conviction for growing cannabis in the NT in the early 90s.

Googling that today, I discovered the sentencing judge was his ex-teammate at Sturt, Brian Martin. (BTW, another goalsneak.)

For anyone planning a footy quiz night, you've got the makings of a cracking good question there.

On the Rookie List
    Ottens Snr. had a reputation as big as he was as a rev head. Apparantley his favourite trick was to speed his Holden past Church Socials then 360 it in front of the main entrance.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast