Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Swans forwards of 2005 compared with today

Quote Originally Posted by Chilcott View Post
    Until we win another flag, nothing compares to the 2005 forward line.

However, I'm excited how our 2012 forward line is taking shape:

FF: Lamb - Reid/Walsh - Morton/TDL
    HFF: O'Keeffe/Rohan - Goodes/Reid - Hanners/Jack/McGlynn

There's been wraps on young Lamb, so hoping he can fill a forward pocket, if not we have many midfielders that can play through that spot.
    Can't find room for White at the moment, but hope he steps up and pushes Walsh for the FF position.
    I believe there will be room for only one of Morton/TDL.
    I believe Goodes and O'Keefee will spend more time up forward in 2012, than 2011.
    The second HFF spot to be filled by players changing through the midfield.
    I agree with this post. Lamb looks exciting & he can play in the mids so that is a bonus. I think Armstrong will be fantastic, it is amazing how well a player will play when he loves the jumper just look at Nickie D home compared to Melb. I am excited by this list as they have the potential to be far better than 2005 and that team was the best (we were robbed of 2006).

Quote Originally Posted by Hartijon View Post
    The best attacking side I ever saw was the Sturt Football Club of the late 60's that could bang on 10 goal quarters against anyone. When they took Collingwood apart in an end of season game in 1966 Tom Sherrin the Collingwood President said words to the effect" I was amazed at their skill.They would be strong contenders for a VFL premiership" Next year Premiers again they took Carlton apart causing Ron Barassi to label them "certainly one of the top teams in Australia".

Their Full forward Emmy Jones was an incredible kick for goal from wide on the boundary to 50 metres out to snapping in close.A perfect kick 8 kicks for 8 goals I believe in a GF.I can't remember him missing (Iwas just a kid!) Johny Halbert or Rick Schoffs at CHF then Diamond Jim Tilbrook on the flank who was in the Hawkins/Rene Kink mode,Who could ever forget 2 identical goals from the boundary with a reverse banana in a Grand Final from Peter Endersbee or Roger Rigney,Rick Davies in ruck, Bob Shearman in the centre.What a team! Coached by the legendary Jack Oatey
    Glenelg in 1972 was far more attacking and kicked 49.27 against Centrals at the Bay Oval Fred Phillis kicked 18 goals. The next year they won the premiership in the highest scoring GF ever against North Adelaide (Aggregate). The Sturt team of the '60's was the most consistent team I have seen but I believe Central Districts have eclipsed their record of six in a row and have more in a decade than any other side. Malcolm Greenslade played a few games in the VFL while on National Service.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartijon View Post
    Is Dean Ottens the father of the Cat Ottens? Same size!
    Yes Dean was a great player and ended his career at the tigers in Adelaide. Roger Rigney (Sturt) and Bubbles Obst (Port) were two of the best back pockets I have ever seen & both played in some great GF's between the two sides. Brice Gibbs' father Ross was a Back Pocket but played more as a drift up the ground player & is the only BP to kick over 100 goals in any major comp from the BP. When he retired he went to Victor Harbour and played 4 seasons and kicked a total of 476 goals.
    Jack Oatey was a Norwood player but they didn't want him as a coach, I bet they regretted that. He was the one who perfected the check side punt and every Sturt player had to practice it at training. He was a highly skilled player and his coaching reflected this, he revolutionised footy with the run on game. Up until 1966 footy was stop start, if a player took a mark he would go back and have a kick, Oatey developed the flick pass & handball to perfection & players would run past to take the ball from the marking player.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Yes Dean was a great player and ended his career at the tigers in Adelaide. Roger Rigney (Sturt) and Bubbles Obst (Port) were two of the best back pockets I have ever seen & both played in some great GF's between the two sides. Brice Gibbs' father Ross was a Back Pocket but played more as a drift up the ground player & is the only BP to kick over 100 goals in any major comp from the BP. When he retired he went to Victor Harbour and played 4 seasons and kicked a total of 476 goals.
    Jack Oatey was a Norwood player but they didn't want him as a coach, I bet they regretted that. He was the one who perfected the check side punt and every Sturt player had to practice it at training. He was a highly skilled player and his coaching reflected this, he revolutionised footy with the run on game. Up until 1966 footy was stop start, if a player took a mark he would go back and have a kick, Oatey developed the flick pass & handball to perfection & players would run past to take the ball from the marking player.
    You mean Brenton Adcock don't you? He was the best back pocket I have ever seen. Roger Rigney was a rover.Bubbles Obst was great but his lack of height exposed him against Peter Endersbee who out marked him for those two wonderful checksides.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234