Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Board member

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    2015 Member Election Notice - sydneyswans.com.au

This article says he's already appointed to the board, but now seeking the elected position to replace Ball.

Veteran Site Admin
    Yeah, I am pretty sure that even though Ball was elected, because he resigned after the AGM, the club was entitled to appoint an interim replacement, with an election due the next year.

I think the club is a little guilty of manipulating how these so-called member elected positions are filled. First they endorsed Kelly, then Ball and now Seymour. I think it fair to say they don't really want a run-of-the-mill member elected to the board. That said, the lack of enthusiasm / participation from the membership after the initial election is pretty telling. From memory there were 20 or so candidates for those first two spots, some of whom had reasonable credentials to contribute to the board. One who got elected is still on the board, having been re-elected a few times without opposition. And the candidate who just missed out (came third) was later appointed to the board directly and she's still on the board. But since that intial election, no-one else has put themselves forward, which is a bit of a shame. While I am sure Kelly /Ball / Seymour have been valuable board members, it does make a bit of a mockery of the concept of having two member elected board members when the club is effectively left with the role of choosing who fills them.

I've never attended a Swans AGM. How many people turn up to cast a vote on the Board Director positions?

The Swans hireachy are always going to have the strategic advantage with the member appointments because they have access to all the members contact details.

Has Red and White Online ever put up a candadate for the Swans Board? Maybe one of the moderators or the sight owner of Red and White Online should stand for the Swans Board as a member candadate.

I'm sure the users of Red and White online would be very enthused about turning up to the AGM and casting a vote for the Red and White Online endorsed candidate.

Id want a member of the board to contribute with leadership, business acumen and contacts. A recent ex player or member of the public is of no use.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Id want a member of the board to contribute with leadership, business acumen and contacts. A recent ex player or member of the public is of no use.
    There are members of the public who have business acumen and contacts (and are Swans fans/members). I agree that an average Joe who doesn't bring relevant skills or experience wouldn't be of much value, but that doesn't mean there aren't good "member candidates" out there.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Yeah, I am pretty sure that even though Ball was elected, because he resigned after the AGM, the club was entitled to appoint an interim replacement, with an election due the next year.

I think the club is a little guilty of manipulating how these so-called member elected positions are filled. First they endorsed Kelly, then Ball and now Seymour. I think it fair to say they don't really want a run-of-the-mill member elected to the board. That said, the lack of enthusiasm / participation from the membership after the initial election is pretty telling. From memory there were 20 or so candidates for those first two spots, some of whom had reasonable credentials to contribute to the board. One who got elected is still on the board, having been re-elected a few times without opposition. And the candidate who just missed out (came third) was later appointed to the board directly and she's still on the board. But since that intial election, no-one else has put themselves forward, which is a bit of a shame. While I am sure Kelly /Ball / Seymour have been valuable board members, it does make a bit of a mockery of the concept of having two member elected board members when the club is effectively left with the role of choosing who fills them.

Welcome to the real world Liz. I sat on plenty of boards over the years and getting people to actually nominate was the hardest part. The reason associations appoint people to a position on the board when someone resigns half way through their tender is to maintain numbers. Normally the person who fills the missing spot has some form of experience in an area that is beneficial to the association. In this case Ball, an experienced ex-AFL footballer is replaced by Seymour, an experienced AFL footballer. If nobody, other than the person who has been appointed to fill the board vacancy, nominates then the position automatically falls to the appointed person who nominated. In this case Seymour. I know not having membership representation indicative of the demographic of the Swans nouveau members is worrying but if people with experience will not nominate then it is our own fault.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    There are members of the public who have business acumen and contacts (and are Swans fans/members). I agree that an average Joe who doesn't bring relevant skills or experience wouldn't be of much value, but that doesn't mean there aren't good "member candidates" out there.

I disagree a little with this statement. In my experience sometimes the 'Average Joe' candidate on a board is very valuable. What they lack in experience and knowledge they make up for (as long as they are a sensible Average Joe) they make up for in demographic commitment. For instance on boards I have sat we always had Community Reps and the people who filled these positions almost always reported the mood in the community. They represented the other people in the same position as them in the community. A 'Swans Fan' or 'Cheer Squad' Rep could be very valuable in informing the board as to the mood of the masses and the trends within the membership group. Surveys are all well and good but they in reality achieve very little as they are very limiting. They cannot for instance convey the passion or mood of the greater membership. But a Member specific rep could indeed do so and on many boards does just that very effectively.

But the person would have to be sensible, intelligent, erudite and have a unique ability to listen and learn quickly.

Veterans List
    Like someone from Melbourne who can put the case for not playing at Geelong, year in year out, and now a bloody night game where if you live in Melbourne you arrive back in time for the first morning train.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12