Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does Geelong stay within the salary cap

How does Geelong stay within the salary cap

I remember Roos saying the reason we had to let Sneiderman go was due to Salary Cap restraints. Geelong has won two premierships and been up for a few years yet according to the AFL stays within the Salary Cap. Ablett was given over a million dollars to do a promotion by Frank Costa but it was never counted in the Salary Cap as the AFL considered it to be a Personal Appearance. This is a cutting the grass a bit fine as far as I am concerned and the AFL allows then to get away with it. Hird, Fletcher and Lloyd had similar deals with major sponsors of Essendon that did not fit within the salary cap. If we did that we would be slammed all over the Melbourne papers as cheats.

If you can prove that the payments you get for the promotions are at a similar level to what someone who doesn't play for the club, but of a similar profile would get it's gravy. Adam Goodes has deals with Citibank / whichever-ade sports drink it is the Swans use.

Geelong is a case where every year there's been staggered retirements on decent coin. This year is no exception with Ling and Mooney on the way out.

I think Ling and Mooney were veteran listed and therefore not included in the salary cap but other players are such as Bartell, Chapman, Stevie J etc. With those three alone you would fill quite a bit of the 4.5 mil salary cap. The Ablett incident was $1.8 mil for one Personal appearance which is ridiculous but was passed as a Sponsorship Deal. It was Costa manipulating the sponsorship clause in order to keep a star player at the club. I believe the clause should be tightened.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I think Ling and Mooney were veteran listed and therefore not included in the salary cap
    No, it means part of their payments are outside the cap.

but other players are such as Bartell, Chapman, Stevie J etc. With those three alone you would fill quite a bit of the 4.5 mil salary cap.
    They WOULD, if the salary cap was 4.5 million, but it isn't.

The Ablett incident was $1.8 mil for one Personal appearance which is ridiculous but was passed as a Sponsorship Deal.
    Do you have any articles for that?

Sorry that should have been $8,870,000. Still not a lot to fit so many stars in as we have had to offload players because of it. The article was in the Geelong Advertiser three or four years ago, I will ask my nephew to get a copy. It was also repeated in the Melb press as the biggest one off payment for an appearance by an AFL player ever. The sum was definitely more than $1 million but less than $2 million and I am guessing at $1.8 but it rings a bell. I had very old salary cap figures sorry

but the point of this is how do they manage to fit all their stars into the salary cap. You can't tell me they all take a pay cut and stay around the club for the love of it, that is bull dung. Players salaries increase each year if they are a commodity and they have about 3/4 of a side that would be on the commodity list of every other side. Shotties the first point is exactly as I said so I don't see your argument with that. Their payments outside the salary cap therefore not included in the salary cap wouldn't you say!

Players all the time take a lower than market value salaries to stay at a particular club. I recall the Lions players saying just that during their reign in the early 00's.

If you're offered $500k by Port and $400k by Geelong unless the extra money is vital to you you'll take the lower salary to win premierships.

It all up to what the players priorities are at the time. If you have a young family who are entrenched in an area the cash offered would have to be a lot more for you to move whereas a young bloke starting out will chase the cash. There's a particular young Geelong ruckman who got an offer to good to refuse and one Geelong couldn't match.

I would imagine that Goodes has had some huge offers over the years but he chooses to stay at a club he loves.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Buying premiership glory? - The Drum Opinion (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
    Backers flood Geelong Cats wanting to sponsor Gary Ablett - Local News - Geelong, VIC, Australia

The deal went ahead and Ablett only made one appearance for the Costa group as far as is known and the AFL allowed third party deals to slip through the net in some circumstances. In the case of GWS and Tom Scully the AFL decided it was a definite third party deal. It is very interesting that if a deal was under 1.4% of the total that is paid to players then it is ok. But payments far in excess of this have been ignored in the case of the Costa/Ablett deal and the deals made by Essendon in the case of Hird and Lloyd.

Al the players only stay in the long term if the incentives are right. They include, Atmosphere, loyalty and job security. In other words money in the last case. Over the years I have known many Geelong players to live in Malbourne and commute to Geelong to train and play. If Melbourne clubs came up with an extra $100,000/year it would be hard not to say hello! There would have to be some form of matching of the figure at the Cats after all there are nine sides in Melbourne in a very competitive market

I'm sure Goodsie likes us too much and what's more the issue never came up as his pay has not been an issue it is always good players we have had to trade not great ones

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I'm sure Goodsie likes us too much and what's more the issue never came up as his pay has not been an issue it is always good players we have had to trade not great ones
    hey for a heap of coin in his younger days, even the great Goodes might be swayed to move, luckily for us he didnt. I reckon all the Geelong players are worth their weight in gold seeing as they made the pies look very ordinary in last years granny, they are indeed a classy side. Geelong lost Lingy, Mooney, Ottens, Rooke and a few others I think - so there was a fair bit of cash freed up there.
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..................
    Chickens drink - but they don't pee!
    AGE IS ONLY IMPORTANT FOR TWO THINGS - WINE & CHEESE!

They can accept less money because the cost of housing in the most livable city in Australia is lower than in the other cities with AFL teams.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast