Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2011 RWO draft thread - as it happens and the wash up

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    So one pick in the PSD either Campbell Heath or someone else. It will be interesting to see if they invite anyone for preseason training
    I dont think we've got space for a PSD pick although someone else might want to clarify that.

In any event I doubt that Heath would be re-drafted back to the senior list, otherwise it was a waste of time delisting him. He'd have to be a pretty good shot for a rookie spot though

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    Not a very exciting night for us but a smart move to go for a couple of long term prospects.

Never heard of Alex Brown before tonight but wow his style is very similar to Alex Johnson from the footage on the AFL website
    Both played for the Oakliegh Chargers so the Swans Site says so they had the same coach. That may have something to do with the playing style. I like the boys we have got from Oakliegh, Dan Hannaberry, Nick Smith & Alex Johnson are all goers & will never give up. I like the hard style they have developed at Oakliegh and it is paying off as a lot of their players get drafted & we seem to like them. By the way Andrew Lockyer and Tom Mitchell are mates so that will be a good start for them too. A J played in the same Chargers side as Alex Brown so they were team mates too so that makes it easier for him too.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Tonight's drafting certainly looks like planning for the post-Ted/Marty/LRT era.

Also suggests they are thinking of Walsh more as a forward at this stage than a defender.
    i think they could look at turning Jesse into a tall defender too. I think he would have the capacity to mind the resting ruck and his defensive game is pretty good. He has a good tank so that isn't a prob. Al is it true the reserves used him at CHB a few times? I don't think he is a lead up player I think he would be a better burst player & he does have a bit of pace for a tall & is quite mobile.

From the AFL website:

ADDITIONS - 7 players added

Tony Armstrong - Traded from the Adelaide Crows
    Nathan Gordon - Elevated Rookie
    Tom Mitchell - Father / Son Selection
    Mitch Morton - Traded from Richmond
    Tommy Walsh - Traded from St Kilda Rookie List
    Jordan Lockyer - Draft
    Alex Brown - Draft

DELETIONS - 8 players left

Paul Bevan - Delisted
    Craig Bolton - Retired
    Daniel Bradshaw - Retired
    Daniel Currie - Delisted
    Campbell Heath - Delisted
    Lewis Johnston - Traded to the Adelaide Crows
    Tadhg Kennelly - Retired
    Byron Sumner - Delisted

So it appears we have a spot for another player based on the comings and goings.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
    From the AFL website:

ADDITIONS - 7 players added

Tony Armstrong - Traded from the Adelaide Crows
    Nathan Gordon - Elevated Rookie
    Tom Mitchell - Father / Son Selection
    Mitch Morton - Traded from Richmond
    Tommy Walsh - Traded from St Kilda Rookie List
    Jordan Lockyer - Draft
    Alex Brown - Draft

DELETIONS - 8 players left

Paul Bevan - Delisted
    Craig Bolton - Retired
    Daniel Bradshaw - Retired
    Daniel Currie - Delisted
    Campbell Heath - Delisted
    Lewis Johnston - Traded to the Adelaide Crows
    Tadhg Kennelly - Retired
    Byron Sumner - Delisted

So it appears we have a spot for another player based on the comings and goings.
    Maybe we will elevate another rookie. Bas, Al, Liz or Ugg may be able to inform us if there is anyone who looks good on the rookie list. Who would we want from the PSD? Definitely not Fev & who is available? I think we are going for quality so we won't go for a player just to fill the list.

I don't think you can elevate a rookie now as it would have been done last night.

Heath either goes back on the list (which I doubt) or we will go for a recycled player. Don't think there is a list, short of going through http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/defa...?newsid=125687 and trying to work out if there is anyone there.

The previous list doesn't included Zac Dawson.

No one stood out to me as an obvious apart from Fevola (without rehashing all the reasons we shouldn't draft him). McCarthy from Collingwood maybe?

Jack Crisp missed the boat last night so maybe the Swans will have a cliched "long hard look" at the players left from last night and see if there is anyone there.

We don't have a young long term ruckman to replace Currie on our list. That is if we need one.
    In memory of my little Staffy - Dicey, 17.06.2005 to 1.12.2011- I'll miss you mate.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    There is still one more list lodgement to take place by the 30th November. They will either re-draft Heath (but it's more likely that he'll be re-drafted as a rooke) or draft someone else in the PSD or they could shift one of the outside vets (Goodes and Jude IIRC) back to an inside vet although I'm not sure why they would do this.

McCarthy is committed to Richmond and they have a PSD pick before us.

Our last 2 PSD picks have been Daniel Bradshaw (2010) and Craig Bolton (2002). So are there any former Lions lying around that tickle our interest?

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Our last 2 PSD picks have been Daniel Bradshaw (2010) and Craig Bolton (2002). So are there any former Lions lying around that tickle our interest?
    Brendon Fevola

Kinnear Beatson said on Swans TV we wouldn't be participating in the PSD this year so............

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Kinnear Beatson said on Swans TV we wouldn't be participating in the PSD this year so............
    ...we can finally put the Fev rumours to bed? Dead. Buried. Cremated

So we're going into 2012 with 37 senior listed players including 1 inside and 1 outside vet which in normal circumstances would allow us one more spot on the rookie list but we can an extended rookie list in any case with the zone-selection picks. Are we trying to save money? Perhaps to spend on retaining guys like Reid?

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    ...that guarantees they're eyeing off someone in the PSD.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    ...that guarantees they're eyeing off someone in the PSD.
    Fev ????............Sorry Ugg couldn't resist....

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast