Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Best XX11 for 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Couldn't agree more, I think LRT is important to our defence, but as to his versatility. . . . .
    He's not a great forward and I think his re-appearance there this year had more to do with our selectors mistaken adherance to last seasons unpoven yet faddish "you can't play 2 ruckmen" theory.
    I really hope that with a dual-ruckman-team yet again winning the grand final we may have seen the end of that nonsense.
    Totally agree with this comment. But I am a bit confused. Not many of you seem to rate Luke Parker. I rate him highly and think he is going to be the next Jude but with a little more skill.

I think Luke is an in and under that can certainly on the run a long kick at goal and takes a great mark for his height......he is tough and in and under aswell as breaks well in the forward line.........the kid has talent and vision with his passing and he reminds me a lot of a Paul Chapman....... Chapman and Voss at similar age were the players i though of straight away the first time I saw Parker play.

To be fair Jude ran around chasing everything with a lack of vision i felt in his early years........the coaches simplified his role and he has been all the better..........not just better.........he has been the guts of then team the last 5yrs !
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Thank you Auntie Gerald. I think it is difficult to let go of our cult players or favorites but sooner or later they are going to retire or be retired. I was sad to see Tadgh go the way he did but his time was up. The next generation of Swans senior players are coming through and soon there will be very few that were in the side 5 years ago.

Veterans List
    My best 22 are:

Armstrong, Bird, Bolton, Goodes, Grundy, Hannebery, Jack, Johnson, Kennedy, McGlynn, Mattner, McVeigh, Mumford, O'Keefe, Parker, Reid, Richards, LRT, Rohan, Shaw, Smith, Spangher. Armstrong being the only new player.

Those I think will struggle to get a game are:

TDL - Soft
    Everitt - disappointing and will have to improve a heck of a lot to get a game
    Jetta - soft and just doesn't find enough of the footy.
    Meredith - needs a pace infusion. has the skills but....
    Moore - not good enough
    White - had a million chances. doesn't read the game. Doubt he has a big enough tank.

Possibles:

This is where players must jump out of the pack to take us to the next level.

Gordon - An unknown but may find it tough with the wealth of midfielders.
    Lamb - ressies watchers say he is a chance
    Malceski - In my opinion is now a top up player bound to get games because of injuries.
    Morton - fingers crossed
    Pyke - ruck back up but you never know. He may be ready to peak
    Seaby - Another ruck backup who will play games.
    Walsh - Is he the saviour.

Newbies:

Brown - Unikely to play
    Briggs - ditto, but a bloke I know who played with him reckons he can play. My informant is a sporting nut who thinks he could surprise. (left off the list on AFL site)
    Lockyer - Wait and see. Has a pedigree
    Mitchell - Probably could add to the top 22 if he is fit.

As I see it we need to have a couple of players emerge as real "finds" for us to go to top 4. No doubt there is plenty of improvement in Johnson, Parker and Reid and I have a feeling about Armstrong, but there will be injuries. So if the likes of Walsh, Mitchell and Lamb produce the goods we are a real chance.

from the posts I have read from the Resies Watchers, Lamb is pretty versatile in that he can play forward or mid. This gives him an advantage. Rohan is a player who is extremely versatile and he will play more in the Seniors this year. I think you have nicely summed it up Nico. But I would add Cunningham to the Newbies list he looks a prospect and none other than Kells has been training him.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    My best 22 are:
    short 1 ruckman!?
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

This same thread is running in Big footy and it is really vicious compared to here. There are a couple of people who obviously hate Pykie as a player and are really vicious about him. He plays for us for ****'s sake he is not the enemy why can't people leave their viciousness for the opposition. Even then I have a problem in them being violent toward players. Let us have some unity as I think this season all of our fav and not so fav players will get their chance.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    This same thread is running in Big footy and it is really vicious compared to here. There are a couple of people who obviously hate Pykie as a player and are really vicious about him. He plays for us for ****'s sake he is not the enemy why can't people leave their viciousness for the opposition. Even then I have a problem in them being violent toward players. Let us have some unity as I think this season all of our fav and not so fav players will get their chance.
    Great to be back on line.

I rate Pyke, a very good tap ruckman and vastly improved sklls anmd game sense. Just a pity he missed so much development through injury last year.

Those viscious types on BF may be made to at their words this year.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    who cares what they think.
    I bet they don't recall how critical he was in the last 30 mins of the 2010 final against the Blues.
    I hope he keeps getting underestimated. That way he will keep getting under a few guards.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    who cares what they think.
    I bet they don't recall how critical he was in the last 30 mins of the 2010 final against the Blues.
    I hope he keeps getting underestimated. That way he will keep getting under a few guards.
    Me too I think the boy has talent for one who only took up the game two years ago. I love his kicking and marking. He pulls down the big ones and normally slots a goal from them. He can also kick a long way. I would love to see Nathan Gordon play a bit this year, if he can get it together in the 'A's he will be exciting. I have been told Cunningham is one to look out for and is very exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    My best 22 are:

Armstrong, Bird, Bolton, Goodes, Grundy, Hannebery, Jack, Johnson, Kennedy, McGlynn, Mattner, McVeigh, Mumford, O'Keefe, Parker, Reid, Richards, LRT, Rohan, Shaw, Smith, Spangher. Armstrong being the only new player.

Those I think will struggle to get a game are:

TDL - Soft
    Everitt - disappointing and will have to improve a heck of a lot to get a game
    Jetta - soft and just doesn't find enough of the footy.
    Meredith - needs a pace infusion. has the skills but....
    Moore - not good enough
    White - had a million chances. doesn't read the game. Doubt he has a big enough tank.

Possibles:

This is where players must jump out of the pack to take us to the next level.

Gordon - An unknown but may find it tough with the wealth of midfielders.
    Lamb - ressies watchers say he is a chance
    Malceski - In my opinion is now a top up player bound to get games because of injuries.
    Morton - fingers crossed
    Pyke - ruck back up but you never know. He may be ready to peak
    Seaby - Another ruck backup who will play games.
    Walsh - Is he the saviour.

Newbies:

Brown - Unikely to play
    Briggs - ditto, but a bloke I know who played with him reckons he can play. My informant is a sporting nut who thinks he could surprise. (left off the list on AFL site)
    Lockyer - Wait and see. Has a pedigree
    Mitchell - Probably could add to the top 22 if he is fit.

As I see it we need to have a couple of players emerge as real "finds" for us to go to top 4. No doubt there is plenty of improvement in Johnson, Parker and Reid and I have a feeling about Armstrong, but there will be injuries. So if the likes of Walsh, Mitchell and Lamb produce the goods we are a real chance.
    Pretty spot on.

The only player I'd rate higher is Malceski. He's due to return to form. Plus we really need his delivery out of defence.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

I agree with Nico's observations.
    Parker will play if fit. I thought he stepped up in the finals last year when Hannebery hurt his shoulder. I think Mitchell will play early. He's been training at the club for a while. By all reports cost quite a bit. Expect coaches to push him for round 1 selection.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast