Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Best XX11 for 2012

Veterans List
    Depth cetainly is impressive for this season so agree that it is difficult to put an unblooded player into the 22.

That said, Mitchell is an underage gun with the type of play and numbers that would have him starting in many teams first round side. If he is fit, it will be interesting to see how he goes in the NAB Cup.

We always trade in players for specific needs so Armstrong, Walsh and Morton must be strongly considered as starters if they perform well in preseason.

Our forward structure this year looks intruiging with Reid at CHF the only lock at this stage. I'like to see Pyke as the FF/ruck, Walsh must play for mine as the third tall, Morton has real class and may get a midfield run as well, other forward smalls/mids there are many options.

Just a potentially exciting season :-)

When are we playing any internal trial games and will any RWO?rs be there to provide some insight?

Yes I think our depth is very good this year. If everything goes right we will have a large range of players pushing for posies. i think we can't just say our finals side last year was this and the only player to come back is Reg. If there are better options we have to use them. This puts pressure on the senior players to perform and if they don't well they get a chance to perform in the 2's. If a player is not performing this year I would like to see him replaced no matter who he is. This is what depth gives a club, the options that other clubs don't have and we have to have the will and guts to use those options.

Intra Club highlights are on the Swans TV now. Really nice to see Gary Rohan running away for a couple of goals. Big Mike just shrugged off two players for a lay off bloody top stuff, that is the dort of strength the big fells needs to exhibit. Mummy and Pykie make two monsters not one. A good work out by the looks of it. Keiran looked super fit and really sharp.

Haha, Pyke @@@@@@ McVeigh right up. Harkened back to his rugby days there. Lovely palm.

White playing in defense.

AJ and Rohan seemed to be playing on each other in quite a few exerts - with the Rooster coming out on top.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by S120 View Post
    Haha, Pyke @@@@@@ McVeigh right up. Harkened back to his rugby days there. Lovely palm.
    The thing about Pykie that most of us forget is that he is very quick for a big guy as is Mummy. We are going to have two mobile monsters to monster the opposition. I would hate to get tackled by either of these guys they are awesome! They are both good kicks and take big pack marks and I am looking forward to seeing a lot of that in the forward line and around the ground this year. I think there will be a new saying 'If Mummy doesn't get ya, Pykie will'

I have just been having a really good look through our player profiles on Swans site. I didn't realise that the Hawks that the Hawks picked up Ben Stratton at 46 and Matt Suckling at 70 in that draft. Amazing to get two such good players out of such late picks. I know we have done very well out of late picks with Goodsie being a third round 43 and AJ 57. The other funny thing was Marty being traded for pick 28 which Adelaide spent on Marlin Motlop. Another shock was Ryano was taken as a 4th round 56. We do well out of late picks and Parker is another doing well after being taken 2nd round 40. Obviously the Hawks do too! Never give them another draft pick I say!

Best 22:

B: Smith LRT Johnson
    HB: Mattner Grundy McVeigh
    C: Shaw Goodes Hannebery
    HF: Rohan Reid O'Keefe
    F: Pyke Walsh Lamb

R: Mumford Kennedy Jack

Int: Bolton McGlynn Gordon Parker

I think all positions are pretty set, except the forward line which is an absolute raffle.

Good depth in defense, but the midfield thins out pretty quickly and the forward line, well, we'll see round 1.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Ted Richards?

Quote Originally Posted by S120 View Post
    Ted Richards?
    It'll be 3 of Richards, LRT, Johnson or Grundy.

Take your pick.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    It'll be 3 of Richards, LRT, Johnson or Grundy.

Take your pick.
    I'm inclined to agree, though it could be 4 out of Richards, LRT, Grundy, Johnson and Mattner.

Mattner's main value to the team is his versatility. He can play reasonably well on smaller, quickish forwards, at a pinch can play as a tallish defender (especially on a "3rd tall" type). He can play as a pure HBFer or as a spare man in defence. He can even play a run-with role in the midfield if needs be. He's not particularly brilliant at any of those roles but he is at least adequate in all of them, and that is a great asset. I think he is the player AJ might need to displace in the short term. Down the track he might become a true tall defender but in the interim his pace and endurance (but lack of size and hence strength) mean he is probably best suited to the variety of roles that Marty delivers. At this stage I'd have Mattner ahead of him, purely because he has delivered since he arrived at the club. But he is one of those players approaching an age where he will need to be replaced relatively soon and it is not beyond the realms of possibility that AJ will do that sooner rather than later.

In the meantime, I'd be going with LRT, Grundy, Richards and Mattner in the "best 22", with Johnson able to come in as back-up in the case of injury.

Richards has to be in the 22. And he will be. Too good a season in 2011 to be jettisoned. He became our best defender over the season and is our best option to play on the best tall forwards. I'd be inclined to pick Richards, LRT, Johnson as our 3 talls (I'd also have Mattner in the side). Richards is a lock at FB as far as I'm concerned and I don't understand how there can be anyone questioning his spot in the side after his form in 2011.

But I just can't see Grundy not being in the side. So I think it will be Richards, Grundy, Johnson as the talls in defence and LRT will be primarily competing for the 2nd ruck/forward role with Pyke, White etc.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast