Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Best XX11 for 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    I suppose time will tell, but the size, speed and strength of the Mummy along with his goal kicking accuracy of 10 goals 2 behinds for the year is eerily reminiscent one Tony Lockett. I suppose you could say that he will be of some value down forward whether resting or with Pyke taking main ruck duties. I wouldn't be suggesting this if I wasn't a fan of Pykes ruck work. Either way it could be a good combination.

I'm not sure that we are that one dimensional in having two marking targets with the selection of quality crumbers we now have available. I actually think we now have a great list with excellent depth and there could be all sorts of forward combos taking into account the other big forwards as well.

Very happy with the list and the array of options all over the ground.
    I havn't seen anything about mummy that reminds me of plugger.

Happy to have him spend time there but his biggest value is as a ruckman.

I am just saying that I would like to see us come up with forward options that don't just involve us bombing away and hoping the talls can mark the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    I think you're being a bit tough on Rhycie there, he was wonderful this season as shown by him coming second in the Skilton.
    Yes he did have a pretty fair season but he is sometimes inconsistent and was last season having a dip at one period. He put together a string of good games later in the year. What I am trying to point out is inconsistency will not be an option with our depth in 2012. Players will need to be on the ball to keep their spots.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Oh get real - the 5 players you've mentioned above are pretty much the backbone of the team and are the reason we are so tough. I agree with a fair bit of what you have to say but this one is waaaaaay off the mark.
    Jonno, while these players may be the backbone even they would concede to inconsistency last season. There were periods where they all went missing & my point is that with such good depth we now have the ability to rest a few players if they are looking a bit jaded. It just gives us a few more options and allows us to build beyond these guys for the future as a few of them are getting on.

Quote Originally Posted by Full Forward View Post
    Shaw came 2nd in the BF playing in the back half.

I would think Shaw for Armstrong in the back line and Hanners in the 18 would be stronger.

Rhyce played most of last season in an on ball roll and only went back toward the end of the season. He is pretty versatile but not entirely safe in the back line. Armstrong is solid there and gives very good run as well, a much safer option at half back than Shawie. I like Shawie in a run with role.

I think that was half our problem last year. We stuck a lot of talls up there and kicked it long to a pack situation. Very one dimensional. Easiest thing for defenders to defend.

Whilst it is good to have someone who can take a pack mark or bust it open, the game has moved on and you need to find ways to get more one on one contests.

Mummy will no doubt go forward for a rest, but we must find better option than him first up. He can be your bail out when no one presents then kick it to a contest and get the mummy involved
    Our forwards didn't split & spread. They all led to the same part of the ground or stayed at home & our onballers just bombed it in. Very hard for even Reid, as good as he is in a pack, to mark the ball with 5, 6 or 7 defenders & 4 or 5 of our own congesting the area. We need to set up with talls giving the onballers a range of options not just one congested area. If Reid is being monstered by oposition players then spread & make them pay by using our free blokes. We didn't do this enough last season.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Rhyce played most of last season in an on ball roll and only went back toward the end of the season. He is pretty versatile but not entirely safe in the back line. Armstrong is solid there and gives very good run as well, a much safer option at half back than Shawie. I like Shawie in a run with role.

So a kid who's played a dozen games in a crap side is a better option than the runner up in the best and fairest ? You're dreamin wolfie !!

What games were you at. Shaw started almost all games in the back half. He had a few run with roles on mids, but they were rare.

I will agree that he is not always safe and can waste it at times but to think Armstrong could take his place is lubricious.

I saw Armstrong play twice last year and Nevis just a kid learning the game. To say he "is solid there" is to imagine stuff.

If he dose half as well next year as shaw did this year then it will have been one of the great trades of the summer

Our forwards didn't split & spread. They all led to the same part of the ground or stayed at home & our onballers just bombed it in. Very hard for even Reid, as good as he is in a pack, to mark the ball with 5, 6 or 7 defenders & 4 or 5 of our own congesting the area. We need to set up with talls giving the onballers a range of options not just one congested area. If Reid is being monstered by oposition players then spread & make them pay by using our free blokes. We didn't do this enough last season.
    Agree totally. What concerns me is when people think the answer is to put another marking option down there.

Buddy hardly takes a contested mark and he is probably the best forward in the league at the moment

ive got to say that my recollection of Shawie was no matter where he started on the team sheet he played a stack of tagging roles and only a few games as teh free HBF

BUT

he had a fantastic season and he played tagging because Jack was out and Macca was in and out and same again Mal..........and then McGlynn came back into the midfield alot second half of teh season

either way for me I like Shaw on the man and then breaking in the latter minutes of the qtrs..........and remember that Armstrong if he delivers balls like he did in his limited games for the Crows is simply way ahead of all of our HBFs except Mal when he is on song
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    ive got to say that my recollection of Shawie was no matter where he started on the team sheet he played a stack of tagging roles and only a few games as teh free HBF

BUT

he had a fantastic season and he played tagging because Jack was out and Macca was in and out and same again Mal..........and then McGlynn came back into the midfield alot second half of teh season

either way for me I like Shaw on the man and then breaking in the latter minutes of the qtrs..........and remember that Armstrong if he delivers balls like he did in his limited games for the Crows is simply way ahead of all of our HBFs except Mal when he is on song
    My recollection as well AG, and I agree with you that both Shaw & McGlynn were best when they were on run with roles, then getting loose when they ran their opponent into the ground. Shaw had a great year because of these roles, as his running is the strong point of his game. His disposal by foot is woeful when in the purely rebound HB role.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    So a kid who's played a dozen games in a crap side is a better option than the runner up in the best and fairest ? You're dreamin wolfie !!
    Shawie leaks like sieve in the backs. I don't feel at all safe with him down there but in a tagging role I'm much more comfortable. Armstrong was a part of Adelaide's plans & will be good. I'm not saying replacing Shaw I'm saying in the team as well as Shaw. Shaw can play a range of roles and did last year as needed whereas Armstrong was recruited as a half back

What games were you at. Shaw started almost all games in the back half. He had a few run with roles on mids, but they were rare.

I will agree that he is not always safe and can waste it at times but to think Armstrong could take his place is lubricious.

I saw Armstrong play twice last year and Nevis just a kid learning the game. To say he "is solid there" is to imagine stuff.

If he dose half as well next year as shaw did this year then it will have been one of the great trades of the summer
    he did not play a lot in the back half last year at all & I watched all games. Every week whether on telly or live. He was given a tagging role due to injuries and then completed the year back. We had several injuries if you will recollect including Jack. He also played a few games as a defensive forward which worked really well.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast